May 2012 Weddings
Options

How many gifts....

Did you register for?

With about 65% of our registry being fulfilled, and it being 2 weeks before my shower, I'm starting to wonder if I should add anything to our registries.

We have a little over 200 gifts total, on our BBB & C&B registries.

This seems like a TON of stuff to me, but since most of it has been purchased, I'm wondering if maybe we should have chosen more stuff.

thoughts? about how many gifts did you register for?

imageimage
Missing Our July Sparkler
BFP-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13 Anniversary]

Re: How many gifts....

• Options
    edited March 2012
    On the website it says you should have about 2 gifts per couple (for shower and wedding), but I only registered for about 190 gifts (117 invited to my shower) between my 2 registries and my shower was 2 weeks ago, I still have about 40 items total left on it.  I got about 10-15 gift cards and only 2 people gave cash.  So people will find things to buy, I wouldn't add anything unless you want it.

I was told to put certain things on my registry and when I got them, I realized I really don't need it, so I returned it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would only register for things you actually need and will use.  Like PP said, don't put stuff on there "just because"...you might find out later it was unnessary.  I would leave your registry as-is...we have about 120 items total on both of our registries, and we invited almost 200 people to the wedding (about 60 people total to both showers).
  • Options
    We had about 300 gifts and about 180 people. I wouldn't add more unless there are other things you need. I agree with the other ladies.
  • Options
    I agree w/ PP, unless there are things you want to add, don't add for the sake of adding. We're inviting 115 to the wedding and about 40 to the shower, I actually expect about 20 as a lot of family are OOT and was inviting them to be polite. We registered for about 160 items.
    May '12 Nesties
    March Siggy Challenge: Furbaby
    MARRIED!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm going to go against the grain and say to add stuff and I'll tell you why - you can always return stuff that you register for. However, if your great aunt Edna goes into the store and there are no gifts left, she may just go out and get you something from that random weird store around the corner, like a ceramic platter with a jaguar on it. She'll probably forget to put the receipt in, and then you're stuck with a jaguar platter you can't return (true story from a girl on my local board). 

The other reason is that if you have no gifts left on your registry when someone goes into the store, they may just get you a giftcard for that store, which you can not return for cash. Then you're stuck purchasing more stuff from the store anyway.

I work in the industry so I see people come into the store to buy off the regisry all the time, and when they come in and there are no gifts left, some of them feel slighted or are frustrated because they really wanted to give the couple a gift rather than cash. Now if it's 2 days before the wedding, I don't really feel bad for them, but if it's a month or a couple of weeks before, I understand their frustration. Can't hurt to add stuff to ensure you get what you want/can take back later. :)
  • Options
    Thank you all for your advice! I really didn't expect people to purchase so many items from our registry so I was a little panicked about what to do if we didn't have much left to choose from.

I went on the BBB & C&B websites to see what they had for new items and found just a few things to add, so that there are more choices for people, but all of the things are things I want, so it should all work out just fine!
    imageimage
    Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13 Anniversary]
  • Options
    I think that's a good amount. Over our 3 registries we have registered for about 150-170 items for 130 guests. The most important thing is to have gifts in all price ranges and make sure there are a lot of gifts under $30.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I agree, like you said by going through and looking a little bit more you found more to add!

I guess I always feel that the number of gifts is insignificant - obviously registering for 200 really cheap gifts (IE, $5 cheese grater) is a lot different than registering for 200 pricier gifts (appliances, china, flatware, etc.).  Someone might buy you 15-20 items if they are cheaper gifts, but they're only going to buy you 1 if they are more expensive.  So I always thinking going by sheer number of gifts is a little silly.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I think in total we have about 80ish gifts registered for, with the option of gift cards on the registry. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards