Colorado

Getting Married in GJ

I am originally from Grand Junction, but currently living out of state.  My fiance and I have decided to have the wedding back home because it's closer to my family and friends.

Any-who, we'll be in town in the next couple months to visit but also to start looking at places for the ceremony + reception. 

I've been away for a couple years so I would love any suggestions on venues or vendors.  The wedding is next year, but I make it home so infrequently that I'd like to get a jump on things.

Also, can anyone suggest any bridal shops in that area (other than DB -ugh, horror stories abound!-) that has samples for plus-size brides? My mom and friends are really excited to start looking at dresses with me and I don't want it to be a terrible experience.

Thanks in advance!
~*~ We are just two people who found each other. No more, no less. ~*~ Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest My journey to a better me.

Re: Getting Married in GJ

• khunt0053khunt0053 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello - I'm living in GJ but getting married in Estes Park.  I've been here since last August so I'm no professional and don't know much more that Google when it comes to your searching.  I'm sure you've heard of Victoria Rose Bridal?  It's on 6/50 just past the mall in the same area as Pier One, AT&T, etc... right by the girl scout place.

As for vendors... I went to a bridal expo in January and had a ton of info but have since thrown in out since we've decided on Estes... shoot!  

I guess I'm not a lot of help, but am in GJ so wanted to say HI!

-Karen
    **Now everyone dreams of a love lasting and true But you and I know what this world can do So lets make our steps clear so the other may see I'll wait for you, and should I fall behind Will you wait for me**
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for replying! 

I know of Victoria Rose... but other than DB, that's the only one I know of...and I have had bad luck finding shops here that have plus sized samples so I'm worried about shopping out there :(

I'm having to rely a TON on friends and family back there for places, pictures, ideas, etc. 

I know it's going to be difficult to pull off (especially with our small budget) but I just know that's where I want to get married.  :)
    ~*~ We are just two people who found each other. No more, no less. ~*~ Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest My journey to a better me.
  • edited December 2011
    Holy cow... You'd think that no one has ever gotten married in GJ.  There's such a void of good wedding information on the net. 

Luckily on my recent trip home to visit we found a venue, a caterer, a photog, and I was stuffed into more dresses than I ever want to try on again.

We picked our theme, my FI has settled on his outfit, and my BM is planning out her dress. 

All of this done and we have well over a year until the big day.  *whew*  Now I can start obsessing about the little things...decorations, flowers, invites, etc.

The one thing I DO need VERY VERY much is an officiant. 

Neither of my parents are particularly religious so we don't have a family priest/pastor to perform the ceremony and I don't even know where to begin looking for someone to perform a nice (meaningful) non-denom. ceremony.

Halp?
  • direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you have a friend or family member become ordained?  I've been to a few weddings that had friends officiate the ceremony for them and they were awesome...
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• edited December 2011
    I've actually been doing some research and in CO the couple can solemnize their own marriage....so I guess what I really need is to find a friend or a family member that can just guide us during the ceremony and we'll sign the marriage license as having the ceremony performed by "themselves".... sounds crazy but if you look it up, it's completely legal.   

Would save us a ton of $$ and our families already know we're not a traditional couple, so this would make perfect sense for us. 

Yay! 
  • sbouldonsbouldon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in GJ, and am getting married here. I agree that the lack of GJ wedding info is laughable. We are doing a pretty low budget (lots of DIY and help from friends) backyard wedding, but have found a few items that might help you out. Wildcat Rentals (located in Fruita www.wildcatrental.com ) has BY FAR the least expensive rentals in the area, though their selection for linens and smaller items is pretty small. www.kjct8.com has a 2011 Bride's Guide section that lists some other local vendors. Hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info, ladies... Yeah, it's so crazy that there's no info... Thank goodness my family and friends know lots of people or I'd be screwed. 

So frustrating! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards