Getting in Shape
Options

Zumba

I am trying to get toned up for my wedding in July. Those that do Zumba... Do you like it? Is it a good full body workout? Will it help with arms and upper back? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Zumba

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_zumba-26?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:e7a38155-3591-441b-9e18-a7a33c76c10bPost:4d2ef94d-6a5a-4de9-a2ae-cc89cf57e460">Re: Zumba</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was not a fan of Zumba.  It's a watered down version of latin dance (or whatever dance style you choose since they have other routines as well).  It's good cardio, but I got no toning benefits from it.  I wasn't even sore after doing it.   ETA:  Now, there are tons of people who LOVE it, and that's great.  Just giving you my personal experience.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Is there a workout that you prefer/enjoy?
  • Options
    Chances are it will not actually help you tone up, but if you are not currently active and have some weight to lose, it could help facilitate weight loss if accompanied with a healthy diet.
  • Options
    Thanks all!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_zumba-26?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:e7a38155-3591-441b-9e18-a7a33c76c10bPost:47e1e180-ce13-4438-b2db-090e9f37c355">Zumba</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am trying to get toned up for my wedding in July. Those that do Zumba... Do you like it? Is it a good full body workout? Will it help with arms and upper back? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Posted by TinaG80[/QUOTE]

I feel it's great for cardio... It's the main workout I use to get my heartrate up, and I pair it with pilates to get some toning in.  To give you and idea, I started doing Zumba three times a week, pilates once or twice a week (pilates class schedules I've found are not easy to work into a 9-5 job schedule), and the "Brazilian Butt Lift" workout twice a week - brought me from 143lbs to 132lbs in about a month and a half.  I'm happy :)  And I'm going to keep doing Zumba on a regular basis for my cardio.  But... if you're just looking for toning, and back specifically, you need to pair Zumba with something else.  Weights is probably best, buy yoga or pilates is also good for overall core strength.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_zumba-26?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:e7a38155-3591-441b-9e18-a7a33c76c10bPost:397afbb7-866f-4c17-8356-94afe0c679ee">Re: Zumba</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Zumba : I feel it's great for cardio... It's the main workout I use to get my heartrate up, and I pair it with pilates to get some toning in.  To give you and idea, I started doing Zumba three times a week, pilates once or twice a week (pilates class schedules I've found are not easy to work into a 9-5 job schedule), and the "Brazilian Butt Lift" workout twice a week - brought me from 143lbs to 132lbs in about a month and a half.  I'm happy :)  And I'm going to keep doing Zumba on a regular basis for my cardio.  But... if you're just looking for toning, and back specifically, you need to pair Zumba with something else.  Weights is probably best, buy yoga or pilates is also good for overall core strength.
    Posted by auroraborealisabc[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I do have 16 lbs left I want to lose so, I like your plan of doing Zumba with something else.
  • Options
    Zumba helped me break a sweat and it was great cardio because the workout routines are pretty long but I wouldn't use it strictly for toning.

To tone my arms, chest, and belly, I did Perfect Push-Up per the routine in the box. Seriously this works.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_zumba-26?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:e7a38155-3591-441b-9e18-a7a33c76c10bPost:2ecb2518-41b8-41d2-9a78-a6b7fb8075d6">Re: Zumba</a>:
    [QUOTE]Zumba helped me break a sweat and it was great cardio because the workout routines are pretty long but I wouldn't use it strictly for toning. To tone my arms, chest, and belly, I did Perfect Push-Up per the routine in the box. Seriously this works.
    Posted by mcda04[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Was Perfect Push-up hard on the shoulders? I injured one in a car accident several years ago and I don't want to have it flair up. Lifting weights doesn't seem to bother it too much though.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_zumba-26?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:e7a38155-3591-441b-9e18-a7a33c76c10bPost:2dca4eef-7585-4743-98ff-fdc0e77560e0">Re: Zumba</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Zumba : Thank you! Was Perfect Push-up hard on the shoulders? I injured one in a car accident several years ago and I don't want to have it flair up. Lifting weights doesn't seem to bother it too much though.
    Posted by TinaG80[/QUOTE]

Honestly; I would ask my Dr. depending on your injury; doing perfect push-up can probably hurt it because it's your entire weight.
  • Options
    I feel like it would be good if you are coordinated and quickly catch on to dance routines. I always end up accidentally taking a Zumba class when my gym schedule changes and I don't feel like I get much out of it because I have trouble following what the instructor is doing.
  • Options
    There goes that idea. I'm not coordinated at all. Lol. Thank you both :
  • Options
    Zumba is not a work out to me.
    But it depends on what your starting fitness level is. I know people say they sweat like crazy in that class, but the few times I have gone (dragged by a friend) even putting a lot of effort into it barely had me sweating. I can't imagine I burned more than 300 calories for an entire hour. I sweat more on a single mile run. 

As far as upper body, No. Not at all. It's all dance. There is absolutely no toning in the class, unless your instructor deliberately adds it in. There are no push-ups or arms based strength training moves. The only thing considered "strength training" that is has is a few squats towards the end of the class. IF you are wanting upper body work, look elsewhere. If you are wanting a baby step into group fitness classes and fitness in general, it might be the place to start for you. 

I will say that I'm biased. After taking a few classes, I loathe the mentality. The sliding across floors, improper squats, taping of the shoes, etc. It's all incredibly dangerous on participants knees and ankles because of the poor form it encourages and it frustrates the bajeezes out of me. I also know how easy it is to get certified, which makes me concerned for the safety of participants because.. anyone can do it, and everyone passes, so there is little accountability and fitness/safetly knowledge that one needs to have to become this type of instructor. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_zumba-26?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:e7a38155-3591-441b-9e18-a7a33c76c10bPost:36d36750-b733-4f2b-ac3b-b29027ac5078">Re: Zumba</a>:
    [QUOTE]Zumba is not a work out to me. But it depends on what your starting fitness level is. I know people say they sweat like crazy in that class, but the few times I have gone (dragged by a friend) even putting a lot of effort into it barely had me sweating. I can't imagine I burned more than 300 calories for an entire hour. I sweat more on a single mile run.  As far as upper body, No. Not at all. It's all dance. There is absolutely no toning in the class, unless your instructor deliberately adds it in. There are no push-ups or arms based strength training moves. The only thing considered "strength training" that is has is a few squats towards the end of the class. IF you are wanting upper body work, look elsewhere. If you are wanting a baby step into group fitness classes and fitness in general, it might be the place to start for you.  I will say that I'm biased. After taking a few classes, I loathe the mentality. The sliding across floors, improper squats, taping of the shoes, etc. It's all incredibly dangerous on participants knees and ankles because of the poor form it encourages and it frustrates the bajeezes out of me. I also know how easy it is to get certified, which makes me concerned for the safety of participants because.. anyone can do it, and everyone passes, so there is little accountability and fitness/safetly knowledge that one needs to have to become this type of instructor. 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

@ftl... Do you mean the Zumba is dangerous for your knees? Or the ballet workout?
  • Options
    Zumba. I can't speak for a ballet work out. I haven't seen them other than something like Barre. 
    But the fact that women tape up their shoes so  they can SLIDE across the floor more easily and pivot faster.. *shudder*... 
  • Options
    Hi,
    I am a Zumba instructor in CT and honestly, the type of workout you get from a ZUMBA class depends on the instructor.  I have been to ZUMBA classes where I didn't sweat at all, and I have been to ZUMBA classes that kicked my ass so bad I could barely finish.  Don't cross ZUMBA off after just one or two attempts.  Many people say you cannot get toned from ZUMBA, but that is not true.  I have developed definition in my abs, legs and arms from ZUMBA classes (Zumba is all I do, so there is no other workout that could give me this definition).  I have a friend that is an Amazing ZUMBA toning instructor and after each class, my arms and legs are burning...she is responsible for the definition in my arms and legs.

ZUMBA is just like any other group exercise class in that the workout depends on the instructor.  If you want a sure thing, order a home workout system....ZUMBA, Insanity, TurboFire, etc.  For these programs, you know you are getting the best possible instruction.
  • Options
    Stage, THAT I appreciate. Plus, when you (general "you") do the moves properly, you tend to get a better work out anyway. That sounds like something I would enjoy, and ballet is no. freakin'. joke. 
    I wasn't referencing ballet-style work outs at all with my post. Solely my experiences with Zumba :) 
  • Options
    I feel like I get a pretty good workout from Zumba, but I was having trouble getting back into a regular workout schedule before I started going. I will agree with others that it's more cardio than anything else, but it does incorporate squats and other moves that leave my lower body sore after a good workout. I've been pairing Zumba workouts with Weight Watchers for tracking my food, and so far I'm seeing some good results as far as weight loss.

With that said, I'm not seeing the same changes as when I was doing weight training with a personal trainer, but right now the weight loss is my biggest focus.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Tina,
    I've done ZUMBA, and it's like eating liver and onions..it's an acquired taste..lol

If you find the right teacher and they have the right music, moves, etc...then it can be fun.

I found a great teacher when i was in San Antonio, but so far no on ein my home town :-(.  I primarily do Zumba on my kinect and i do the Zumba Core and Rush which are pretty good.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards