Getting in Shape

Valentine's Questions!

Alright, I'm bored and no one seems to be posting...so time for a fun thread!

What was your best Valentine's ever?

What was your worst Valentine's ever?

What is something you would like to one day do for Valentine's day with your FI/DH but haven't yet done?

Is there anything you secretly wish would happen for Valentine's today?

Re: Valentine's Questions!

• What was your best Valentine's ever?
    Best was most definitely 2008. DH and I had just started dating and I was living with a great group of people in a townhouse - we decided to throw a St. Valentine's Day Massacre party and everyone dressed up like gangsters and flappers, we turned the bathtub into an ice bin and put all the alcohol in it...it was a hoot! It actually inspired the theme for my wedding. It's one of my favorite college memories. It was also the skinniest I've been in my adult life, so I aspire to get back there.

BONUS PICTURE
    (I'm in the white on the left)

I don't think I've ever had a truly bad one, lots of lonely ones though! I guess the worst might have been in 2002, DH and I had dated briefly in high school and he broke up with me shortly before Valentine's day...I wasn't too hurt by it though because we were both so young and immature.

What is something you would like to one day do for Valentine's day with your FI/DH but haven't yet done?
    I would love to do a "romantic getaway" and just have a weekend away.

Nope! I don't have any grand expectations. It'd be sweet if DH got a small something, but I really would rather he not waste money on stuff (especially because we're trying to save every penny for the house hunt!).
  • Lobsters25Lobsters25 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2013
    entropic, that party sounds AWESOME! what a cool idea!

I don't really know.  We don't make a huge deal over it, so time together and a splurge dessert is enough to make me happy (and that's pretty much what we do every year.)

I don't think I have a worst one either.  Although, poor H sent flowers to work last year and I normally leave at 4 and they hadn't gotten here yet, so I had to stay at work late.  I was not happy about that - oh, the irony.

Go to a cooking class together.  They're just all so expensive!  A couples massage would be nice, too.

Flowers at work that show up on time...? :) 
    Anniversary
  • I have, like, zero opinions on Valentine's Day-I havent done anything for it in YEARS.  Usually I send my girlfriends cards, but this year even that didn't happen.  FI's birthday is on the 16th, so I'm taking him on a trip.  He's randomly romantic, which is sweet though.
  • Oh, I'm with you freebread, I could really care less about Valentine's day and just sort of think of it as a hallmark holiday, the purpose of which is to part hard working people with their money. Oh consumerism!

But I'm a total grinch about all holidays except halloween...
    N/A

Well if you reall want me to have to think, I guess 6th grade when I broke up with my bf on v-day because I liked his best friend.. ohhhh children.. lol! 

Ummm.. My dream would be to get a Lululemon shopping spree? lol. 

See above? haha

But seriously.. I am super anti- v day. I always have been. Always. I just don't get it. That and birthdays... but my mom wasn't big into any holidays. My only birthday party was one H and I planned together because it was my 21 run. 

So today is about him. He loves any cheesy lovey stuff, so he loves Valentine's day. So far so good :) 
    FI and I don't really do Valentine's day anymore.  We got each other small gifts the first year and then sort of stopped.  A few years after that FI bought me a diamond necklace and it was a complete surprise since we never do anything.  He gave it to me a few days early because I had to work on Valentine's Day and he was too excited to wait. 

The year after the necklace was a super let down since FI ended up going on a family snowmobiling trip and this was before I bought my sled, so I couldn't go.  It was a 4 day weekend alone.  The kicker, I had apparently requested Valentine's Day off of work and ended up spending the entire day alone in my apartment.

Eh.  A couples massage would be nice, but really I would take that any time!

Ice cream!  But I am trying so hard to stay on track.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Valentine's day of 2010 - FI took me to stay at a really beautiful hotel, and we went to the most delicious brunch the morning after. That was also the first time we told eachother "I love you". :)

I don't think I have a worst one, really. When I was single I would always just go out with girlfriends on V day, so we had fun regardless.
    I agree with the couple's massage...that would be awesome!
    Not this year - I got beautiful roses this morning, and we will go to dinner tonight...which is enough for me! :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    H and I don't go overboard.  But he is romantic and wants to celebrate.  There isn't really one that is better than the others.

That was the one where I really thought I was getting engaged.  H made such a romantic dinner, then I walked upstairs to the tub filled with bubbles & petals, candles and champagne.  Then there were a few small gift boxes on the bed which contained.... necklaces. 

Maybe go to a warm place for the long weekend?

Nope! 
  • @Giaspo - did your husband intentionally trick you? What is your actual engagement story? 

in 2010 my FI took me to Universal Studios for Valentines day and we had a blast.

I don't think I've ever had a bad Valentines day.. besides in school when I would worry wether or not the kids in my class would drop a card in my "valentines bag" the teachers would make us leave out.

Nothing, really I don't put much thought into Valentines day or save "special things" for today.

I agree with PP - I wold like a massage.

The best was Fi first date 5 years ago today. We went to the Kennedy Space Center and there was a huge globe you could walk into and we took a picture in the center of the world. I will never forget that.

That was three years ago when he had to go to Tx for work and he was gone for 7 days, three before and 4 after. He sent stuff but its not the same.

Go away for the weekend. We both work soo much and I would love to celebrate our anniversary away from home.

Nothing... I love whatever he does.

Getting Hitches 08/09/2014

• FI just sent me a text that he got us "100 rounds of ammo for our zombie apocalypse stash"...oh what a romantic!  (FI is a cop and had inservice today, and I guess they went to the range).  We half joke about the ZA stash, but, I mean, I guess I want to be prepared!  There's no greater gift on Vday than items that will sustain life :)
  • nycrose2013nycrose2013 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2013
    Best Valentines day ever:

- Can't really think of one that stands out. If I have had boyfriends, we have had regular nights out, but nothing big has ever happened

Worst Valentines day ever:

- Last year. Fi and I had just gotten engaged and we had agreed to go to dinner, and he thought that would be enough. I really expected flowers and a card, and had actually spelled out to him that he needed to get me a card b/c it was really important to me. Call it stupid, but it was. Over dinner, it slowly dawned on me that he really had not done a single thing. No flowers, no card, no gift. Nothing. The worst part was that we had seen each other early in the morning, and I told him that I had his card and gift for him, and then we didnt see each other again until dinner. So really, what hurt the most is that he had the WHOLE DAY to run out and rectify the situation (knowing I had gotten him stuff) and just didn't. I was pretty crushed. I hope he learned his lesson this year!

Something I would like to do but haven't done yet:

I would love to be whisked away, or given a gift I'm really not expecting. I always find out what people's gifts are, and I would love to be truly surprised

Anything I secretly wish would happen today:

I have always wanted flowers at work, but I'm leaving in an hour so that doesn't seem like its happening. I also wish FI would show up at my door with them and spend the night with me, since we aren't seeing each other til tomorrow. Likelihood of either of these things happening: 0%

Bonus Question by NYC: How does Fi show you he loves you year round?
    He really is super romantic every day, and does tiny things, like finds the earrings I leave scattered around the house and pairs them up and puts them away for me, and moves my car when I am too lazy to, and makes sure I have a glass of water by my side of the bed. He drives an hour and spends all weekend at my house when he could be getting stuff done at his own place, and he compliments me a lot and tells me he appreciates me. So even though I get down about valentines being kind of a disappointment, I know I am sooo lucky
    Dreaming of our Hawaiian honeymoon! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lobsters25Lobsters25 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2013
    nyc-no flowers at me for work either, but it's okay.  I told him not to spend the money this year, but I still do miss it.  this day really is stupid, isn't it?

Love your bonus question, and love your answer - the every day stuff is so much better than one day of silliness!
    H warms up the car for me on cold mornings, gives me foot and back massages a few times a week (without expectations hahaha), helps around the house, and takes care of the dog 90% of the time.  It's awesome having such a great partner at home.
    Anniversary
  • @NYC - love the bonus question!

DH cooks and cleans for me, he always tells me how beautiful I am and how lucky he is to have me, I go to bed before him and he will always stop what he's doing and come cuddle me right before bed. He might not win any awards for spontaneity and over the top gestures but he totally wins on the day to day stuff.
  • Believe it or not, we were nowhere close to getting engaged on that V-Day.  Two and a half years later we went away to the beach for a long weekend.  H rented a cabana for the day and we had couples' massages and lunch.  I literally said "This is the best day ever!"  Little did I know what was about to happen!

I went upstairs to get ready for dinner and H stayed in the cabana.  I didn't know this, but he had planned out the day with the cabana crew and gave them our camera.  He came up to the room and said "Why don't we go back to the cabana and have a drink before dinner?"  The sides were rolled down and a beautiful bouquet was there, with rose petals scattered everywhere (in yellow, my favorite color).  As we entered and I realized what was happening, he got down on one knee and proposed!  Written in the sand was "Will you marry me?" and people on the beach clapped!!  The entire thing was captured on film.

It truly was the best day ever! 

Here we are entering; I am figuring it out:

The big Q:

Random guy walking by:

In the sand:

YAY!

This should be a separate post for all of us!!
  • OMG Gia that is so awesome :) AMAZING pictures.. My favorite is definitely with that HOTTIE walking past ;) haha

• Awwwww thanks! It was fun to share.
  • Sierra524Sierra524 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2013
    I would have to say today. I have always wanted to be surprised with something & FI did just that today...surprised me at work w flowers & chocolate covered strawberries from the best chocolate shop in town.
    2011. It was our first vday together but on that day, FI had to go to the hospital for an emergency appendix surgery. The pain meds they gave him made him into a monster. He was so angry and yelling at all the nurses. It was awful.
    I would love it if he reserved a whole restaraunt for just us two & had the chef prepare a special meal for us. A girl can dream right?
    We didnt have anything planned, so I wasnt expecting anything. But I was kinda sad this morning because I wasnt expecting flowers or anything. But then he showed up on my lunch break & brought me flowers & took me out to lunch.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Giaspo - that is so awesome! You have a very clever husband.

@Sierra - it's great that your FI surprised you! I hope it made your day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards