April 2014 Weddings

In need of advice

Although my FI and I have a good stretch of time before our wedding I can't help but freak out. So far the only people that know about us being engaged are a life long friend of mine I told and his mom which she found out on accident. We wanted to keep out engagement and wedding a secret from our families until we got closer to the date. Since his mom found out a few days ago I've been super nervous because all she said to us was "you guys are engaged?" Nothing else. Am I crazy for thinking she's not to thrilled her only baby is getting married? He's far from being a mommas boy I know it'll come up. And as far as telling my family when the time comes I'm too effing scared to. And for good reasoning. What should I do?? And also I have no idea what the heck to do for our wedding. Help!!

Re: In need of advice

• First, take a breath.  Try to enjoy for just a few minutes that you are engaged :)

My dad was not partucularly thrilled about my engagement at first but he came around.  So much so that he agreed to pay for my DJ and dress!!

Why are you so nerbous about telling your family if you don't mind me asking?  I only ask because I can't really help you without knowing why its an issue.  

As far as wedding planning goes, flip through magazines or explore this site.  It will give you ideas.  You may see something that catches your eye.  The first things that I did were make a budget.  You can only do what you can afford. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • SlothGoalsSlothGoals member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2014-weddings_in-need-of-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:61a7a4c2-b16b-4dc9-93ee-b04e4cdbdcd6Discussion:67da5b1c-2945-45aa-a331-0219c5d01fdbPost:c2605f9f-ba20-4c41-bc3b-5c863328049b">In need of advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]Although my FI and I have a good stretch of time before our wedding I can't help but freak out. So far the only people that know about us being engaged are a life long friend of mine I told and his mom which she found out on accident.<strong> We wanted to keep out engagement and wedding a secret from our families until we got closer to the date.</strong> Since his mom found out a few days ago I've been super nervous because all she said to us was "you guys are engaged?" Nothing else. Am I crazy for thinking she's not to thrilled her only baby is getting married? He's far from being a mommas boy I know it'll come up. <strong>And as far as telling my family when the time comes I'm too effing scared to. <em>And for good reasoning.</em></strong> What should I do?? And also I have no idea what the heck to do for our wedding. Help!!
    Posted by Nikkijade13[/QUOTE]

<div>The parts of your post that I bolded concern me. </div><div>
    </div><div>Why do you want to keep your engagement a secret? You should be happy and shouting it from the rooftops; when I got engaged I was in a different counry and time zone from my entire family (3hrs behind) and I still called them to tell them all the good news. Do you think that your families will not approve? His mother's reaction does raise some red flags. Are you two really young? Are you financially capable of having a wedding? Has she always reacted like this to things?</div><div>
    </div><div>Why are you scared to tell your family? Is there history between your FI and your family? It's hard to give advice when we don't have the whole story. Based on the limited information you've given us I think that you and your FI need to put a hold on wedding planning and work on whatever issues are keeping you from sharing your news,</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards