North Carolina

Larger Sample Sizes?

Ok, so I'm in the beginning stages of trying on wedding dresses and I'm looking for a bridal shop where they may have larger sample sizes to try on.  I'm a street size 16, but can usually fit size 12 or 14 dresses depending on the cut (I'm much smaller on top).  I'm in the process of losing weight for the wedding, but I know that I need to buy a dress for my current body (I can always alter).  My wedding is October 2011, so I know I need to start making some progress on the dress hunt!

I would love to be able to see how dresses would look on me without them pulling, not zipped etc. My first experience was horrifying!  I love dresses by Allure, Jim Hjelm, Watters/Wtoo, etc. Anyone know of any good bridal shops anywhere in NC (I'm willing to travel, haha!) that may have larger sample sizes (other than Davids Bridal)?

Re: Larger Sample Sizes?

• edited December 2011
    i don't know this FOR SURE, but have you tried darlynns? I didn't look to see where you're located either, but it's down in charlotte. i've been in a couple times now between buying my dress, veil, fittings, etc. and i've seen women of all sizes in fully zipped dresses...probably worth a look! :) good luck! and btw, I am an allure bride!
    image122 Made the list!
    image 89 Are ready to party!
    image 11 Will be missing out!
    image 22 Can't find the mailbox!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    What about Bridal Mart out in Burlington? They carry Allure and Watters/WToo.
  • edited December 2011
    I went to Bridal Mart in Burlington and loved it.  If you don't mind not having your own personal dressing room, it's fine.  Wear some underwear with coverage, and if you have a strapless bra you love, then wear or bring it.  They have a lot of Allure gowns in smaller and larger sizes, and if you're interested in a specific dress from the designers, call ahead and see what size their sample dress is in.  

I ended up ordering from David's, but I found some very close 2nd option picks at Bridal Mart.  If you go on a weekday, you get a little better service, but for the discounted prices they offer, if you're fine with less attention, it's great.  They will always help you get in and out of each dress.  

July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • TinyTRex321TinyTRex321 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP about Bridal Mart. They have a lot of larger sizes to try on. Also keep in mind that wedding dress sizes run smaller than regular dresses. I ordered my dress my Bridal Mart and they priced matched my dress from a place in Louisiana called Pearl's Place.

I went on a week night and it was pretty slow. I went back on a Saturday and it was a zoo in there! Good luck in your dress search!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You sound exactly like me, size, shape, everything (I'm getting married in September, right before you too).  I e-mailed Burlington with a list of about 20 dresses I was interested in.  They had two of them, one in a size 4 and one in a 14.  They may have larger sizes, I'm just not sure how vast a selection they have.

I haven't been yet, but I've been told English's Bridal in Clemmons (right outside of Winston) carries a large about of "plus size" dresses. 

I'm going to Bride's Against Breast Cancer in February too.  I've e-mailed and talked to a couple of people that went last year and supposedly they have a large selection of plus size too.

Hope that helps. Good luck, I know it can be frustrating but just keep your head up, and put your foot down if you need too!

My first wedding dress experience was at David's Bridal.  They weren't going to let me try on my two favorite dresses because they weren't plus size.  I put my foot down and said I do not care if they zip, and I just wanted to see what they looked like.  I got my way :)

• Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know Bridal Mart has some larger sizes, but I went with a friend who wore a larger size (so do I, but I didn't go there) and they didn't have anything in her size.  She had to do the clippy things to see the dress.  I just went to David's Bridal, and didn't have any problems finding size 16 in everything I wanted to try on...I wasn't too picky about having a designer dress though, just wanted something that looked good and didn't break the wallet!

Good luck!
  • redhead3985redhead3985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions!  The one place I have tried on dresses was Bridal Mart, and while they do have plus sizes, they didn't have any in the dresses I wanted to try. I did try on three dresses from my list though (in size 8) and sometimes its just hard to see what a dress would look like when it doesnt go all the way around, the cups are sticking out from your chest because its just clipped to your bra in the back, or the lining wont even go to the ground because its caught up on your hips! Maybe the lady who was helping me wasnt good at clipping the dresses (although she was as sweet and helpful as she could be!).

And Casey, that's a great idea that I will try the next time before I go again (emailing and seeing what dresses they have in what sizes). And I'll definitely check out English's.

It just seems like the only place you can try on a bigger gown is David's Bridal  and they just don't have any dresses that I like.  I probably sound like I'm complaining a lot, but the dress is very important to me, and I just don't want to settle (especially when every dress I like does come in a bigger size, but I can't find any to try on).
  • tarheelbabstarheelbabs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in the same boat, too.  Keep an open mind. I did something kind of wild. Bought a trunk show dress that I couldn't try on because it was a sample size, i.e., almost no one can try the thing on because it's about a size 2.  What is that about?  So, we clipped it to me, but I still got that "feeling" that everyone talks about.  It was the third store I'd been too.  My best friend was with me and we both got choked up, so try to be a bit flexible if you can.  It's unfortunate, but given the cost of these dresses, they just tend only to stock a bunch of "average" sizes and those are apparently in the 8-10 range.  Oh well!  Good luck!!!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for that advice! You're right...I didn't feel anything in those dresses probably just because none of them were "the one." I want to make my mom cry, haha! I'll definitely keep an open mind!
  • janefilmorejanefilmore member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did you try Anjolique Bridal in Huntersville?  They have alot of fashion forward dresses in larger sizes. Not just the kind with the apron fronts, but fit and flares and mermaids too.  I'm a size 14 and got my dress there.  It is a really fashionable  mermaid lace overlay dress.  I was able to buy it off the rack from their sample sale, but they also have "sample dresses" you can order from, too. 
  • K8NKCK8NKC member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'm not sure what designers they carry, but the castle in spartanburg, sc had a lot of dresses in sizes 18 and up - by far the most i've seen anywhere. it's not in NC, but it's just over the border. good luck!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just wanted to give an update to anyone who read my original question. After going to the bridal show in Raleigh this past weekend, my mom and I decided to make an appointment at A Bridal World (we were thinking just to get some ideas of fits that looked good on me), and at Victorian Rose (we talked to one of the ladies in their booth, and she couldn't have been more helpful or more nice!), both in Raleigh.

I tried on about 5 or 6 dresses at a Bridal World, and their dresses are very reasonably priced, and they had plenty of larger sizes to try on (and they weren't frumpy!). The one dress the consultant recommended I never would have tried on, but it look really amazing on my body (which is hard - I have wide hips for my body and I'm short - only 5 feet tall, so finding a dress that compliments either feature is hard). I had them hold it while I thought about it (they sell off the rack), and decided to go ahead and go to my appointment the next day at Victorian Rose.

They were so incredibly sweet and helpful at Victorian Rose even though pretty much all the dresses were size 10 (aka size 6). I ended up finding my dress there. There was never any pressure; they asked me what I was thinking for bridesmaids, and said I wasn't sure yet, and there was again, no pressure to start searching there.

So if you're looking in the Raleigh area, those are two stores that do everything to accomodate and make you feel special, which is really important. Thanks everyone for all the stores you suggested!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards