African American Weddings

What Are You Doing for the Rehearsal Dinner?

We are having a "pig-pickin".  It's a southern tradition, kinda like a barbecue, but in addition to the usual suspects at a cookout, we'll have a whole pig barbecued on the grill.  Since my family has never been to something like this, I think this will be a great way to introduce them to this tradition.  What are you ladies doing?

Re: What Are You Doing for the Rehearsal Dinner?

• edited December 2011
    We have decided to go to one of my favorite resturants which I introduced my FI to the night he proposed to me. It's Mongolian BBQ so everyone can design their own meal. My mom knows the owners and they will set a whole corner of the resturant just for everyone in our party.
    Photobucket
    "Ever Thine, Ever Mine, Ever Ours"
    Janae & Olivier

Anniversary
  • tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sounds like fun Jkeyes!
  • ladylumladylum member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I like to host BBQs so we are doing one at our house. We were going to provide all the food until my BMs said that was stupid and we will do a potluck instead.
  • edited December 2011
    We really aren't planning a traditional rehearsal dinner.  FI and I have decided to simply go to dinner at a local restaurant (prob Cheesecake Factory or Maggiano's) and reserve a private dining room and each attendee will be responsible for his or her meal.  We stated this at the e party and people were cool with it.  We joked with people (with a great deal of honesty) and said dinner is on us the night of the wedding.  Thankfully, our family and friends understand the financial aspect of the wedding. 
    BTW- FI and I are also having a BBQ prob the month before the wedding at my current house.  We figure this will be another opportunity for everyone to see each other before the wedding.  The BBQ will be potluck style, a tradition we have.

What do you ladies think about the rehearsal dinner?
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing a Hawaiian Luau at my parents home by the pool. I wanted it to be intimate, no time constraints and an environment that me and fi feel comfortable in.
  • edited December 2011
    Im thinking about renting some table and chairs, set them up in the backyard. Cook up some fried chicken wings, hot wings, spaghetti,salad and garlic bread. Pull out some dominoes and cards, light up some candles to keep bugs away, play some music and just hang out.
    FI and I are always entertaining at home in the summer so this would be perfect. And it saves us some cash.

We would have a color scheme: Gold and Ivory
  • adgenyaadgenya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hopefully we'll be going to our favorite japanese restaurant (that the majority of our bridal party loves). It gets kind of crazy there on Friday nights and is a  smaller restaurant so we aren't sure if it will work out. 
  • edited December 2011
    We are going back to the restaurant we went to last summer to celebrate our engagement. It wasn't exactly what I wanted to do, but I eventually gave in..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    We are having a Rehearsal Dinner Party with BBQ for Dreamland, a DJ and a Open bar. I think this would be nice since it is a destination wedding in Atlanta. Also gives people a chance to get to know each other.
    My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
  • cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going to our favorite Mexican restaurant, Nada - it's very modern inside and the atmosphere and food are awesome.  We went there for our first date when I went to visit FI in Cincinnati for the first time, so it has sentimental meaning for us.  Web site is www.eatdrinknada.com.  We are getting a private room and people will have their choice of bunch of different tacos, salads and appetizers.  Our bakery is making a smaller red velvet cake with white chocolate mousse layers for dessert.  It will be laid back and fun!

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We're thinking about going to this Mexican Restaurant La Brisas close to our venue!! Its Good and Inexpensive!
  • edited December 2011
    The Fils are throwing the rd at a restaurant not too far from our venue. It has an old elizabethan feel. Classic, old school & The food portions are huge. And since its the night before my birthday, the fils are springing for an open bar an champagne toast.Laughing
    Photobucket www.mywedding.com/malcolmandkiaforever http://aawbrides.weebly.com/
  • tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Rhoyal1 I'm all for your idea.  If it weren't for the fact that my Future in-laws are paying for our rehearsal dinner we would do the same thing.  ANd I loooooooooove The Cheesecake Factory.
  • edited December 2011
    @TamTam, that's fabulous your FILs are paying for the RD!  Thank you for your input, I was worried we may sound supa cheap!  LOL
  • edited December 2011
    We're having an informal dinner at our house. We're expecting @ 30 people. Should be fun and relaxed.
  • bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We're having our rehearsal dinner at a local Italian restaurant.  We'll probably have about 25-30 people at the rehearsal and wanted to take advantage of the "family platters" so that we can stretch our dollar.  We'll provide non-alcoholic drinks, but guests will have to pay for their own alcohol.  Also, for dessert, I'd like to either do peach cobbler or cupcakes. 

To purchase the cupcakes it's about $28.00 a dozen -- I'm thinking about making them myself.  We shall see though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards