Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Proposing at a wedding dress shop?

I watched Say Yes to the Dress for the first time at a friend's house the other day, and there was a couple who went wedding dress shopping and the guy proposed to his girlfriend when she found "the dress."

Am I crazy, or is this weird?

Re: Proposing at a wedding dress shop?

• Options
    That is weird. Why would you shop for a dress if you aren't engaged yet?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_proposing-wedding-dress-shop?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:c7aeb8fe-af1a-4d95-b1b1-0c70416bd03ePost:ba80c7e7-607d-433e-8a84-96ff1a684bfd">Re: Proposing at a wedding dress shop?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is weird. Why would you shop for a dress if you aren't engaged yet?
    Posted by jerseydevil[/QUOTE]

<div>My thoughts exactly.</div>
  • Options
    Ditto.

Definitely weird. But there have been stranger things I suppose.
  • Options
    I've seen two episodes of SYTTD where this has happened.  The first one the girl was at the salon under the guise of shopping for her friend was already engaged, and her boyfriend surprised her.

The most recent one with the girl shopping for the dress before getting engaged is such a terrible idea (that she was shopping before being engaged, not the proposing itself)
  • Options
    I actually bought my wedding dress the day before he proposed. He said it was gonna be another month before he could afford a ring cause we did look together and gave me his CC to charge the dress on after i found the perfect one that was cheap and on sale for even cheaper LOL. He had he proposal planned and the dress shopping came spontanious cause we had originally planned on getting married in 3 months with or without a ring and a courthouse. its getting bigger by the day and have decided to wait till our anniversary in june 2010 when we can afford it more.
    but technically I had the dress before he proposed but he also had the ring a week before i got the dress LOL
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_proposing-wedding-dress-shop?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:c7aeb8fe-af1a-4d95-b1b1-0c70416bd03ePost:d193e948-363d-4ace-abd6-e2babde071ed">Re: Proposing at a wedding dress shop?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've seen two episodes of SYTTD where this has happened.  The first one the girl was at the salon under the guise of shopping for her friend was already engaged, and her boyfriend surprised her.
    Posted by vicki0508[/QUOTE]

I saw that one too. I am a devoted watcher of SYTTD, even though I already have my dress haha. I guess now the difference is that I compare every dress I see to the dress I have. So far I haven't seen any dresses that make me go "OMG, I wish I had that dress instead of the one I picked" so I guess that means I chose wisely.

Anyway, my point, before I got derailed, was that I personally fely bad for the girl in this episode. Not only was she proposed to on TV, she was expected to find a dress on TV only minutes after being engaged. Personally, I could have never shopped for a dress right after I got engaged. I needed some time for it to sink in. I think they were just trying to make this poor girl try on dresses when the fact that she is engaged hadn't even sunk in yet.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_proposing-wedding-dress-shop?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:c7aeb8fe-af1a-4d95-b1b1-0c70416bd03ePost:4f6f5beb-df17-4b7a-82be-6f39f37760e2">Re: Proposing at a wedding dress shop?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Proposing at a wedding dress shop? : I saw that one too. I am a devoted watcher of SYTTD, even though I already have my dress haha. I guess now the difference is that I compare every dress I see to the dress I have. So far I haven't seen any dresses that make me go "OMG, I wish I had that dress instead of the one I picked" so I guess that means I chose wisely. Anyway, my point, before I got derailed, was that I personally fely bad for the girl in this episode. Not only was she proposed to on TV, she was expected to find a dress on TV only minutes after being engaged.<strong> Personally, I could have never shopped for a dress right after I got engaged. I needed some time for it to sink in.</strong> I think they were just trying to make this poor girl try on dresses when the fact that she is engaged hadn't even sunk in yet.
    Posted by theluckiest555[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Oh my goodness, I remember that episode!  I remember thinking, "Don't do it! That's NOT the right way to propose!" I knew she wasn't going to find a dress. It was just too much all at once. </div><div>
    </div><div>I told FI about that episode and told him how I wouldn't have been able to pick out a dress either. I wasn't even able to think about setting a date AT ALL until we had been engaged for a few months. Our wedding is still a ways away, but I can't think about planning for my wedding at all. It's just too overwhelming. I would have just gotten stressed out. FI agreed saying, "Oh yeah, you would have been a MESS if I had done that!" Gee, thanks. =p But he's right!

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Daisypath Graduation tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards