Getting in Shape
Options

Not seeing results with 30 Day Shred! Help!

Ok, I am trying to get toned up and lose a little weight. I am 142lbs and would love to be 130lbs. I used to be 125 in my early twenties, even with a good amount of muscle on me. I stopped working out about 4 years ago (when I met my FI) and have only been doing sporadic WO/Activities since. We bike, kayak, etc, but no real workout regime. I started the 30 Day Shred almost 20 days ago, and I have seen NO changes (no loss of weight and no loss of size)! I'm almost done with level two! This is really starting to worry me. :( I eat around 2000 calories a day. It was recommended to me on here to keep track for a bit to see what I am actually eating which I did. How low of calories do I need to go?! It's really hard for me not to eat when I am hungry. Really, really hard! I've never really had to watch my weight much when I was younger. Please help! Any advice would be great.

Re: Not seeing results with 30 Day Shred! Help!

• Options
    when it comes to diet try the 17 day diet. I lost 12 pounds in the first 17 day cycle. it deffinitely works! and it's super easy and very detailed.
  • Options
    Where did the 2000 calorie number come from? You need to first calculate your bmr - the amount of calories your body would burn if you stayed in bed all day and didn't move.
    With that number, you use the harris benedict equation to determine how many calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight. If all you're doing is 30 day shred, well that isn't much to be honest.
    With that number, you subtract 500 to lose a pound a week. That is the number you eat, you don't need to add anything back for calories burned during exercise or anything.

And I just wanted to add, I don' t mean to sound critical when I say 30 DS isn't all that much exercise, but it's not like you're burning hundreds of calories in the 20 minutes.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I was told to eat 1200 calories to lose weight. I did the 30 day shred and I did see results, my weight was not dropping but looking at pictures I took "before" and during the 30 days I could see results. My stomach is much more defined and you can definitely tell from the side. Also my jeans are even a bit looser. You should also be doing different things during the week in edition, maybe some cardio. 
  • Options
    I ditto what others said above.  I also think 2,000 calories a day seems like an awful lot.  It's also worth noting that eating 2,000 calories from junk food will not deliver results like eating 2,000 calories of nutritious food...I'm not saying that's what you're doing.

There was just a really neat article in O mag about how workouts that combine strength training with cardio are the most efficient ways of building muscle and burning calories.  I think the 30DS is amazing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Just keep doing it! I lost 7 pounds by the end of it. During it, I was getting upset because I gained weight
  • Options
    I agree that 2000 calories seems like a lot, but I also know nothing about your size or activity level. Definitely go here (<-clicky) and find out what your BMR is (think a PP linked another one too). That is the amount you burn daily by doing nothing. A PP said to subtract 500 from that but I've seen that 1200 is the lowest anyone should go. Going from 2000 to 1200 calories a day will probably starve you so I wouldn't go that low IMO. 1500-1600 is usually a good number, but it's different for everyone.

As for the 30DS, don't get discouraged. I know it's tough. Some people don't lose until closer to the end, and some people may need more than just that exercise to start losing.

Keep some healthy snack options around to help when you feel like snacking. And remember that it's not JUST about eating less, but what you eat. Eating well not only helps you stay healthy, but usually it will fill you up longer. I have no idea what your diet is like but make sure to include lots of veggies! :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info everyone!

Kristin, I will definitely check out that site to get my bmr. I don't understand why you wouldn't add calories back in for working out though. I think that might be dangerous. I do a little running here and there - definitely haven't gotten into a good running routine though. I am a newbie to running and honestly, not very good at it. haha. I did however just get to the point of being able to run 3 miles straight. I ran on Weds this week (first time since Dec.), and I was very surprised to see that I could still run 3 miles, and I actually did it in the shortest time yet (33min)! Woohoo.

I have been using the FitnessPal Iphone app to track calories and workouts. It doesn't have the 30DS on there, but it said I burned about 300 calories for a 30 min run at 10mph. Does that sound accurate? Maybe 30DS isn't much, but I do feel like my heart rate is about the same doing that as with running (maybe even a little higher with 30DS because of all the interval stuff). Kekr0202, I have heard the same thing about combining strength with cardio. I feel like if anything, it definitely increases my endruance because of the interval style of it.

As for what I eat, it's really pretty good food. I have lots of fruit and veggies in my diet. I incorporate tofu as my protein source frequently. I do have the occasional craving for a chocolate bar which I don't deprive myself of! lol... I am a girl! It's just that calories add up so quick! One breakfast with 1/2 cup of juice, coffee w/ creamer and 1 serv sugar, 1/2 grapefruit, and one egg adds up to 400 calories! If I wan't to stay at 1200 calories a day, all my meals have to be like this with NO snacking. It's just a shocker for me I guess...really never paid much thought to the actual calories of my meals.

Anyways, I am going to start up some biking soon too. I ride the Multiple Sclerosis 150mile bike ride every year in April. That is right before my wedding, so I'm hoping that will help out some. Thanks for all the input ladies! I really appreciate the advice!
  • Options
    Wow! Just have to say that I just calculated my bmr and it was 1,446! That is way lower than I expected! I just always assumed 2,000 calories was what everyone should eat. I really don't think I could handle eating 900 calories a day! I think I would pass out! lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards