April 2012 Weddings

My first freak out - already! Uff.

I thought I would be ahead of the game and start looking into/booking my major things right away (venue, photographer, etc.).  We are a year and 7 months + out so I thought I would be able to do this stress free.  I envisioned booking my majors and then sailing through the rest with alllll the time I had left!  Now I know this was a delusional thought to begin with but I figured I would be hit with reality somewhere down the line.  But it's already come!  

The first thing on my list was my venue.  I did a ton of research online and came up with a short list of venues to visit.  However, the first venue on my list was far ahead of the other two.  I've been trying to get in touch with the venue for a week and a half and they've just gotten back to me.  Apparently they only have two dates left in April 2012!  Luckily, mine is one of them.  I'm crossing my fingers as tightly as I can that I can get in there, look around, get a quote and book it before they sell my date (assuming I love it as much in person as I do online).  When they first responded to me they said my date was already booked.  I replied asking them to double check and I'm glad I did because they were wrong the first time.  But the first email put me into instant stress mode!  

I know it might seem silly to stress about this.  I mean even if they book my date I have so much time left to find another place.  But this place feels like "the one".  It has everything we need/want.  And if they're booked this far out, it makes me wonder what chance I would have in even getting my second choice?  So to the girl who asked if it was too early to look/book... definitely not!  I know this is really dependent on your area, and maybe it's just the city I live in but... yikes!!  

Okay, sipping my glass of wine a little faster and going to bed!  I'm sure it'll all work out and what's meant to be will be.  Good night all. :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: My first freak out - already! Uff.

• It can be really aggrivating to find vendors booked already.  We switched our wedding from april 2011 to 2012, and my venue (that I had previously booked) already booked our new 2012 date, so we had to pick a date for a third time. 

I'd say if you definitely know what you want, book it now.  You can stress out for a couple weeks until you get that done, then RELAX for a while! :)  Good luck to you!

DLD
    Visit The Knot!
  • oh boy!  I also booked my venue and havent done anything else yet...I was hoping to start looking at photographers in Jan but I guess I will have to do it earlier...
    ~~* Jen *~~
  • Yeah it can be a roller coaster...things will swing around and seem a little more smooth.  I'm also hoping that everything will fall into place once I book my venue and hoping to do that in a few weeks!

Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  •  Did it ever occur to you that they could be telling you that just to get you to book? I'm getting married on December 19 of this year and got my first choice of date and venue when I went looking in May. I was not only competing with weddings but corporate Christmas parties too. I've gotten my first choice in everything with no issues. Caterer, florist, cake, venues, photographer and dj are all booked and all my first choice.

Take a deep breath and don't stress. You are planning so far in advance you can always ask them to call you if they have a cancellation on your date if something really is booked. Venues and other wedding businesses will try to trick you into thinking you need more or bigger or better or sooner than you need because they want your money. If you don't already have it find and read the book Bridal Bargains. It will give you a lot of good advice and information.

• Well, I did look at the venue but I didn't book it.  I just couldn't bring myself to rush into the decision.  Plus, my FI wasn't too crazy about it.  He said I could book it if I really wanted to but I don't want him to not like the place we get married.

gkelle - I did consider that he might have just been trying to sell me but this particular place is a very popular wedding venue in my area.  I believe him.  But I do know that I could be wrong to!  Several other places did give me the, we fill up fast, line - and I know they're definitely just trying to push the sale.

We looked at another place this past weekend that we both liked.  I didn't expect to like it at all.  We also have an apoinment to look at one more place in a couple of weeks.  I'm going to wait until after the third appointment to make a decision.  I would like to book before the end of the year if it will lock in the 2010 prices (the first place added an increase to account for the later date, the second place said I would get 2010 prices). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_first-freak-out-already-uff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:0852ac0c-492b-4324-a621-4766e93fc9c0Post:68754222-eae6-4289-9d40-a0ea656ae4ff">Re: My first freak out - already! Uff.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your first? That's cute. I've only been engaged a week and had three meltdowns and one semi-serious plan to elope. :p Me? High strung? No.....
    Posted by kaitlyn142[/QUOTE]

<div>HAHA!  That's kinda awesome. :)  Not in a, I'm glad you've had a few meltdowns kinda way, but in an, I'm glad I'm not crazy to freak out so early - kind of way. :)</div><div>
    </div><div>Actually, so far this really is the only thing I've freaked out about.  And it's sort of unlike me.  I'm a planner and a perfectionist.  But I'm embracing the amount of time I have.  We ended up booking a venue but now I'm slacking on everything else. :)</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm sure this will change as time goes on.  Check in on me in a year.  I'm sure I'll have gone crazy by then!  </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well, we announced the engagement about a month after I started a new super high stress job, which is in a state we only moved to a few months ago. Many  hours away from any and all family and friends. Everything is kind of feeding into each other.

It's possible this may be a bad idea to mix up so many stresses at once. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards