Not Engaged Yet
Options

Why pressuring for engagement is a bad idea

I was reading a thread on Reddit about people who have called off their weddings. I came across this person's story, which is one of the best things I've ever read about why one shouldn't try to pressure their SO into engagement.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1bukgc/people_who_have_called_off_their_wedding_why/c9a8pdy

Re: Why pressuring for engagement is a bad idea

• Options
    Wow that really sucks for her. I can't even wrap my head around behaving that way.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_why-pressuring-for-engagement-is-a-bad-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:46ebc1d6-895c-4b9a-ba6a-1d80563da45cPost:a886582b-42c1-4d0b-8bd7-128da1fc8d85">Re: Why pressuring for engagement is a bad idea</a>:
    [QUOTE]At least she realized she was being crazy about it and changed. I understand feeling left out as everyone around you gets engaged but now she is terrified to get engaged at all. I kinda feel bad for her. 
    Posted by PrincessBride2016[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree. A few years back a lot of my friends were getting engaged left and right, and sometimes I did wonder what I was "doing wrong" that my BF-at-the-time wasn't proposing to me. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't pressure him, but I understand why people would. It's so unheatlhy that now she's going to the other extreme.</div>
  • Options
    Wow.  A good lesson. It sucks that she had to learn it the hard way.  
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    Good for her for realizing her mistake!

My dad's 2nd wife pulled the "If you don't give my a ring by X date, we're breaking up card."  Then 10 years later, as they were divorcing, she commented, "I knew I should've never forced you to marry me..."

Face*palm
  • Options
    Leia I read that this morning and contemplated posting it here. You read my mind!
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this, I had read the title on reddit but hadn't clicked on it. I linked this thread to a dear soul in Just Engaged, hopefully she reads it.
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards