Pre-wedding Parties

Meet & Greet / Reception before wedding

Hello! I am in the process of making my wedding invitations and need help with some wording. I am from CA and he is from NC and we currently live together in NC. We are getting married in CA and his family is not able to make it to CA for the wedding. Because of this, as well as his family in NY, we are doing a party in NY for all his family. Because of time contraints, we are doing the party in NY a month before the wedding. I am wondering how to word what the party is called. I have not met any of his extended family so it will be like a meet a greet, but also a reception since they will not be able to make it. Please help!!

Re: Meet & Greet / Reception before wedding

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_meet-greet-reception-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:4028c9d0-ac9a-435e-a390-820f21cbebcbPost:fa5de223-a9ae-49e5-afb4-96d4711f2080">Meet & Greet / Reception before wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello! I am in the process of making my wedding invitations and need help with some wording. I am from CA and he is from NC and we currently live together in NC. We are getting married in CA and his family is not able to make it to CA for the wedding. Because of this, as well as his family in NY, we are doing a party in NY for all his family. Because of time contraints, we are doing the party in NY a month before the wedding. I am wondering how to word what the party is called. I have not met any of his extended family so it will be like a meet a greet, but also a reception since they will not be able to make it. Please help!!
    Posted by chelseahaas[/QUOTE]

<div>Are you printing your wedding invitations, or the invitations for this party?  They're two separate events, so they don't belong on the same invitation.  It sounds like you are inviting the family together to get to know you; I would just have you and/or FI (since it's his family) call everyone that's invited to this event and invite them personally.  I suppose you could send out a very informal invite in the mail, but at least in my family, we would communicate a get-together like this by word of mouth.  Just call it a family get-together and let them know you can't wait to meet them all.  Sounds like fun!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_meet-greet-reception-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:4028c9d0-ac9a-435e-a390-820f21cbebcbPost:ba818bbd-15c3-43ac-a517-107e7924a2d0">Re: Meet & Greet / Reception before wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]No one who is not invited to the wedding should be invited to any pre-wedding party, so please don't call it a reception, shower or engagement party. Call it a "meet and greet."  That's perfect.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

They are invited to the wedding, they just will not make it to the wedding because they all live in NY and the wedding is in CA. All of the attendies will be getting a wedding invitation.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_meet-greet-reception-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:4028c9d0-ac9a-435e-a390-820f21cbebcbPost:1130b2b2-7b60-4ce8-9a2f-101713d65b35">Re: Meet & Greet / Reception before wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Meet & Greet / Reception before wedding : Are you printing your wedding invitations, or the invitations for this party?  They're two separate events, so they don't belong on the same invitation.  It sounds like you are inviting the family together to get to know you; I would just have you and/or FI (since it's his family) call everyone that's invited to this event and invite them personally.  I suppose you could send out a very informal invite in the mail, but at least in my family, we would communicate a get-together like this by word of mouth.  Just call it a family get-together and let them know you can't wait to meet them all.  Sounds like fun!
    Posted by missfrodo[/QUOTE]

I am including an extra card in the actual wedding invite. Of course they are all invited to the wedding, but will not make it since they are all in NY and the wedding is in CA. A lot of older family who cannot travel. To them, this will be the reception that they cannot make it  to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards