New Jersey
Options

Less Cookie Cutter, More Unique

Hi Everyone,

We are recently engaged and looking into venues. We want something unique and fun. I feel like the majority of what we've seen is very cookie cutter. Any suggestions for out of the box ideas? Ideally we'd like to stay in $75-80p/p. 

Thanks! 

Re: Less Cookie Cutter, More Unique

• Options
    I agree with you that most venues in northern NJ are rather cookie cutter, but from the research I have done, if you want something reallllly unique, it is going to be way more than $75 per person.

Unique to me would be the Museum of Natural History under the giant whale, the Temple of Dendur at the Met, the Adventure Aquarium, or the Brooklyn Botanic Garden (and some of those are NYC).

You might need to rent a space that does not normally do weddings and then bring in each item. This will add up, but it will definitely be unique. Think museums, art galleries, old movie theaters (isn't there one in Jersey City?), gardens, colleges, historic houses, etc.

Another option is to find a location that is in your price range and then work on details to personalize it.  Although some of these personalization items are now becoming very mainstream, work on projects such as a photobooth or candy bar to add something "different."

Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    Unique to me meant a location not originally designed as a wedding venue...I'm not sure if that is what you mean. Two of the places we looked that met this criteria were the Morris Museum of Art and the Lake Mohawk Country Club, where we ended up booking. 

I agree with PP that many of the unique venues will end up being more than 80pp because you will likely have to rent chairs/tables and do full catering. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know this place is more than 80pp, but an incredible unique venue is the Ground for Sculptures. It's not a place that would need much decoration brought in though, so maybe spending more on the venue would work with your budget still
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Less Cookie Cutter, More Unique:[QUOTE]Hi Everyone,We are recently engaged and looking into venues. We want something unique and fun. I feel like the majority of what we've seen is very cookie cutter. Any suggestions for out of the box ideas? Ideally we'd like to stay in 7580p/p.nbsp;Thanks!nbsp; Posted by Jennifer22010[/QUOTE]

We're getting married at David's country inn in hackettstown. Definitely unique, and you might get close to your per person price if you do offseason or Friday instead of Saturday.
  • Options
    dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited March 2013
    If you are willing to come out west, Rutherford Hall may suit your needs if your wedding is small: http://rutherfurdhall.org/ It's a gorgeous space but not very big inside.

You may also want to check out the various offerings at crsytal springs resport in Hardyston.  I'm thinking about the stone pavillion on the ballyeown golf course.
  • Options
    We are getting married at Allaire Historic Village and having our reception elsewhere.
    It's an old 1800's town turned park
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think unique is kind of hard cause no matter where you go you will have tables with centerpieces for people to eat at so they do all end up looking the same when you are filling the space with so many people.
  • Options
    Check out the Morris Museum! My fiance and I looked there and loved it (but ultimately decided we wanted to get married outside). It was an old mansion and they expanded so you get modern and historic all in one. It was pretty inexpensive and they have tables and chairs included in the price. You can also bring in any caterer which helps with planning on a budget! Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards