December 2013 Weddings

Is the Sunday before Christmas break a bad date for a wedding?

I just got engaged and am looking at dates (!!)  Both of us are teachers and we are both done on the 20th of December.  I feel like having the wedding on Saturday the 21st would be insane for us (teachers aren't allowed to take off the day right before a break, so I would have really hard time doing rehearsal stuff on friday).

We are looking at having the wedding on Sunday the 22nd.  I know that's awfully close to christmas eve, so I'm wondering how others would feel about this.  We don't have many people that would need to travel from out of state, most all of our friends and family are or from GA.

Do you think this would be a bad date?  I really don't want to have to wait until summer of 2014, and there aren't any other good times in the spring to have a wedding and honeymoon with our schedules.

Thank you for your input!

Re: Is the Sunday before Christmas break a bad date for a wedding?

• I think you can do it on that date, but be prepared for some people not to come because they may already be traveling for the holidays.  Some venues (e.g., if you want your ceremony in a church) won't allow Sunday weddings, so that is something to consider if you decide on a Sunday. 
    What about the Saturday after Christmas?  You still run into the same trouble with some people maybe not being available, but perhaps less than right before Christmas....

Either way, I'd plan to send out Save the Dates in March or around there.  They say the standard is 6-9 months prior, but I'd stick closer to 9 months prior so close to Christmas.  We are sending ours in March for our 12.14 wedding.  :)

Congrats, btw!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_december-2013-weddings_is-the-sunday-before-christmas-break-a-bad-date-for-a-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:86fad5ed-d98c-49cb-bb5d-a1193bae6f18Discussion:deee2f27-b7bf-46c0-ac92-2e66194ef8adPost:cc697946-c996-4be2-9f9f-7154938949ab">Re: Is the Sunday before Christmas break a bad date for a wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you can do it on that date, but be prepared for some people not to come because they may already be traveling for the holidays.  Some venues (e.g., if you want your ceremony in a church) won't allow Sunday weddings, so that is something to consider if you decide on a Sunday.  What about the Saturday after Christmas?  You still run into the same trouble with some people maybe not being available, but perhaps less than right before Christmas.... Either way, I'd plan to send out Save the Dates in March or around there.  They say the standard is 6-9 months prior, but I'd stick closer to 9 months prior so close to Christmas.  We are sending ours in March for our 12.14 wedding.  :) Congrats, btw!
    Posted by nextrightthing[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks for the advice!  I will definitely be sending the STDs out well in advance!  I'm not dead set on having it in a church, but I am dead set on having a real organ for the ceremony, so places being closed is definitely a consideration.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks!</div>
  • We had the same debate on when to have our wedding. We wanted to be able to have the wedding and still have enough time for a wedding. We decided to go with the Saturday after, 12*28,  that way people can spend Christmas with their families still. Plus the stress of Christmas shopping and everything will be over. That will still give us time to have the wedding and enjoy our honeymoon. We are sending out Save The Dates mid-late February since our wedding is close to Christmas/Holidays. 
  • My good friend just got married on December 22nd, right after her school week before break ended! She said it was a little tricky not having the day off before the wedding, but it worked out super well. Everyone was so excited and relaxed because everyone had off the following week for the holidays. I am also a teacher and I loved that we all were able to relax and enjoy the wedding weekend knowing the following week was break. They wanted a winter wedding because they had the whole week off after it was over to go on a honeymoon and not have to take off school days. It was a rustic winter-y thing..I'll see if I can find the video and post it! I think that date would be awesome..I would do it too but I guess I shouldn't copy of her!

• Here is their video from Dec 22nd! It was super cute--a non religious ceremony in a restoration church that had no congregations or pastors or anything.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYx27ZlhHcM
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_december-2013-weddings_is-the-sunday-before-christmas-break-a-bad-date-for-a-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:86fad5ed-d98c-49cb-bb5d-a1193bae6f18Discussion:deee2f27-b7bf-46c0-ac92-2e66194ef8adPost:a4c360a0-c338-4a6f-884a-a6c42ab9a659">Is the Sunday before Christmas break a bad date for a wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just got engaged and am looking at dates (!!)  Both of us are teachers and we are both done on the 20th of December.  I feel like having the wedding on Saturday the 21st would be insane for us (teachers aren't allowed to take off the day right before a break, so I would have really hard time doing rehearsal stuff on friday). We are looking at having the wedding on Sunday the 22nd.  I know that's awfully close to christmas eve, so I'm wondering how others would feel about this.  We don't have many people that would need to travel from out of state, most all of our friends and family are or from GA. Do you think this would be a bad date?  I really don't want to have to wait until summer of 2014, and there aren't any other good times in the spring to have a wedding and honeymoon with our schedules. Thank you for your input!
    Posted by hgminor[/QUOTE]

I was going to get married on that date because I am a teacher as well! Unfortunately the church had something booked on that day so I chose the 28th which is actually working out perfectly. The 28th falls on an undersirable weekend in the wedding world i guess so I got a $900 discount! Plus my relatives on the east coast said they will fly in (to cali) on christmas day..flights are ridiculously cheap and flyp out new years day as flights are still super cheap.
  • Another thing to consider is venue prices and vendor availability. Around those dates a lot of companies throw their holiday parties and book many of the venues. I noticed you are in Atlanta so if you need any help with local resources just let me know. 

Taylor
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards