Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cocktail hour food ideas

Hi, 
My caterer is asking what I want to server during cocktail hour. 
My reception will include a family style dinner with several courses, so cocktail hour will be pretty short (~45 min) and I need ideas.
There are no fryers at a place, so fried food is out of question.
Also, trying to stay away from hotdogs/pork because it is a Jewish wedding (not kosher but I still would like to stay away from pork).

I am thinking some veggies trays, but not sure what else.  (Sushi is also out of question, as the chef is not japanese :))

As a background, this is a russian wedding witha russian caterer. Cocktail hour isn't very traditional for us, so that's why caterer is looking for my input on this :)

Please give me ideas .  THANKS!!!

Re: Cocktail hour food ideas

• Chicken skewers, mini quiche, baked stuffed mushrooms, cheese & crackers.  Just a few ideas.
  • Shrimp cocktail, stuffed mushrooms, spanikopita.  
  • chicken wellington in filo dough, chicken on a stick maybe a hummus dip with crackers. olives and cheese on a stick. instead of pigs in blanket ( hot dogs maybe you could do chicken in a blanket chicken sausage 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cocktail-hour-food-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:8b004673-8a3a-4e0e-a9c5-6a4b02d8a1e5Post:f7ca98ba-974d-4e29-b589-9b64e2d2f714">Re: Cocktail hour food ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]chicken wellington in filo dough, chicken on a stick maybe a hummus dip with crackers. olives and cheese on a stick. instead of pigs in blanket ( hot dogs maybe you could do chicken in a blanket chicken sausage 
    Posted by hyechica81[/QUOTE]

Here are the choices we made for our Butler Passed Appetizers:

Deviled Eggs

Soup Shooters (cream of asparagus is what we're doing) - anything bright colored and creamy is nice, carrot, beet, pea?

Caprese Skewers (buffalo mozarella, heirloom tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, drizzled with balsamic vinegrette reduction on bamboo skewers)

Rosemary Lemon Chickpea Fritters with Thai Chili-Blood Orange Sauce (spicy sauce, vegan recipe)

Mac n Cheese on Asian spoons with White Truffle Oil (could also be nice with lobster, with crab, with minced chives, with sauteed mushrooms - anything to dress it up is nice, or just mac n cheese)

goat cheese tartlets with morello cherry preserve topping (tiny tarts filled with just goat cheese, topped with chunky cherry spread, buttery crust)

We have three stationary appetizers as well:

Cheeses, Olives, Breads, Crackers, Herbed Garlic Olive Oil Bread Dip

Fruit Platter with Sliced Pit Fruit (apricots, nectarines, peaches, plums), Kiwi, and Berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries)

individual Veggie Cups with Boursin Dip (sweet red pepper slivers, baby carrots with leaves on, and artichoke hearts)

We're also having a menu of 4 types of martinis butler passed:
    White Chocolate Mint
    Mango Blood Orange
    Double-Dirty Triple-Olive
    and
    Vanilla Lavender Honey

(but you certainly could do one or two, and it would still be a great touch)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards