Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Can a dress REALLY be altered significantly?

I have a stunning Bridgette Moore 'Garden of Eden' dress I bought 8 years ago that has been waiting for me and now I am finally geting married in Sept. 2013.  

It is for a giant - I am 5.3" - mermaid style with train, just truly a work of art with butterfilies, roses, vines, one shoulder strap made entirely of beads, etc.  I got it when a bridal shop closed and I was the only one that could fit in the bridal size 10 and I coudn't pass up the deal at the time.

I don't want to have do anything to it unless I am sure that it can be made to fit on my frame (normal size 6) and for the more casual nature of the wedding I am now planning.  (Hartwood Mansion, family only, 32 total!) I've thought many times of making it into a knee length or tea length mini mermaid with a flair, and have the rest made into a jacket somehow, but that is mostly because the dress overwhelms me and I can't 'see' it.

WHO IN PITTSBURGH CAN DO THIS? Will it be more than $500? If so, maybe I should just buy something new!

I could always sell it to some lucky tall bride as it is and they can complete minor alterations and wear it in Heinz Chapel or Phipps or somewhere that can compete with it!

Here are pics... What do you y'all think? It is flawless - I had it packed carefully, though I know 8 years sounds like a long time! It just needs a little steaming since I had it confined for so long. Extra beads, tags still on it.   Bridgette Moore isn't carried in the US anymore, only in Ireland/UK.

Re: Can a dress REALLY be altered significantly?

• I think you may be able to get it altered enough to fit you but I have to say that alterations like that cost A LOT. I didn't need any alterations on my gown besides a hem and bustle but that cost about $200 if I remember correctly. It will especially be more expensive if they have to move any of the beading or flowers. The best I can say is go to somewhere like Clarissa's Boutique in downtown Pittsburgh because I think they do alterations. Many bridal gown stores will not do anything until you purchased the gown there so that might not be an option. Just make sure you get someone experienced in altering wedding gowns and not just someone who does pant and shirt alterations. The dress is very pretty but since its 8 years old, I would recommend at least going out and trying on some gowns at stores. You may find something you love even more or, like in my case, every other dress I tried on after I found the one just didn't compare! :) Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • scully931scully931 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013
    The alterations on my very simple dress are costing around 500. I had the train removed, straps added and it was taken in. Get a quote before you agree to anything. But boy. .. that dress is PERFECT for Hartwood Acres! :
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_can-a-dress-really-be-altered-significantly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:4fe7e577-98bf-48c6-8644-e8e10148488dPost:184e1f00-fdc9-455c-9a31-6a37ce30003f">Re:Can a dress REALLY be altered significantly?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The alterations on my very simple dress are costing around 500. I had the train removed, straps added and it was taken in. Get a quote before you agree to anything. But boy. .. that dress is PERFECT for Hartwood Acres! :
    Posted by scully931[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks for the info.  I suspected it would be outrageously expensive.  So, that $500 was from a bridal store where you bought your gown?  I will check into this Clarissa's because I don't really have a bridal shop as an option.</div><div>
    </div><div>If anyone knows of other possible places where I take it to get a quote, please feel free to chime in!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards