Wedding Reception Forum

Placement of Dessert Plates

Hi we will be setting the tables for our buffet style reception and my question is do we put the dessert plates on top of the dinner plate, or put them in a stack on the cake table with dessert napkins?

Re: Placement of Dessert Plates

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_placement-of-dessert-plates?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b1cc154e-b4c2-4ce5-b07d-cf265dd5be47Post:20763769-23b3-4153-a218-3e5f6405e6cf">Placement of Dessert Plates</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi we will be setting the tables for our buffet style reception and my question is do we put the dessert plates on top of the dinner plate, or put them in a stack on the cake table with dessert napkins?
    Posted by lmccurry78[/QUOTE]

Am I missing something here? Are you eating dessert first?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_placement-of-dessert-plates?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b1cc154e-b4c2-4ce5-b07d-cf265dd5be47Post:20763769-23b3-4153-a218-3e5f6405e6cf">Placement of Dessert Plates</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi we will be setting the tables for our buffet style reception and my question is do we put the dessert plates on top of the dinner plate, or put them in a stack on the cake table with dessert napkins?
    Posted by lmccurry78[/QUOTE]

I would keep them at the cake table; someone might use their dessert plate during dinner not knowing they were supposed to save it.
  • Keep the dessert plates with the cake/desserts.  Also I have never heard of having all the dinner plate at the table when having a buffet reception.  Typically the dinner plates/salad plates are stacked next to the beginning of the buffet line, not at the place setting.

• I'd stack the dessert plates on the dessert table and the dinner plates on the dinner buffet table. I think that's easier for guests than if you set the table with the plates.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well for all you negative posters, it worked very well to have the plates on the table.  Everyone wasn't picking up more than one plate, we were on a budget and didn't have a lot of extra and no one seemed to mind carrying their plates.

Also, We did put the cake plates near the cake and the server handed them out as the guests came to get plates.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards