July 2013 Weddings
Options

Shower CRAZINESS!!!!

I feel like bridal showers are popping out of no-where for me!  Each of my 3 wonderful bridesmaids is already throwing me a shower.  My sister/MOH is thowing one with my aunt for all my family out in Madison.  My FSIL/FMIL are throwing one here in LAX for their family/a few of my/FI's friends around here.  And my BFF is throwing one in our hometown for friends.  Then, my co-workers said they're going to throw a shower for the entire department! I'm inviting the 7 girls + guests I work closest with to the wedding, but tradition in that dept is to throw one for everybody - about 30 people, which is all women except for 3 guys.  Now, my mom just called me to say that 3 ladies from their church (who've known me since at least middle school, but are all my mom's age or older) came to her and said they want to throw a couple's shower for us!  Amazingly generous, but these 3 plus their spouses weren't originally on the list b/c the wedding is 2 1/2 from my home town and my mom and dad were trying to keep their list on the smaller side... oops!  They're on the list now, but I think my mom is going to try and tell them only people who were originally on the list.

So, now I've got 5 showers!  Yikes!  I'm very grateful, but I'm a bit uncomfortable being the center of attention.  I think showers are tons of fun, though!  Is anyone else having this sort of shower craziness??  I would have been happy with just one, but 5 is a little overwhelming!

On the adorable side, my dad is buying a new suit for the wedding :)  He hasn't bought a new suit in probably 10+ years and he is going to be so handsome!  It doesn't help that I have the most amazing and adorable dad ever!  My mom didn't have any luck, though, finding a dress for herself :/
~How long do you want to be loved? Is forever enough?~
My Planning Bio (last updated 10/6/12)

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Shower CRAZINESS!!!!

• Options
    Oh wow.. Your hands are going to cramp upfrom all those thank you cards! But none of that craziness here.. Im only having two showers. One in my hometown and a couples one in FIs hometown. Good luck and have fun!

Funny thing you mention the suits! I took my dad to get fitted for a suit today and its so cute because he doesnt dress up, like ever. so hes going to be the most handsome ive seen him in awhilllle! Im soo excited!! 

Hpefully your mom has better luck next time she goes shopping. My mom got this dress: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/adrianna-papell-illusion-bodice-lace-sheath-dress/3479502?origin=category&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Charcoal&resultback=7693 she didnt want anything with a jacket or that looked "too old" its perfect for her since the lace is really thick. were going to dress her up with drop chandelier earrings and a nice up-do
  • Options
    aw, that is awesome though! My FMIL threw me a shower to incorporate her friends that she cant invite to the wedding to be a part of wedding festivities. I dont think my sister who is my MOH or any of my BMs will be throwing me one :(  I would say just be grateful and go with the flow, hopefully they will all be a lot of fun!
  • Options
    Wow that's a lot of showers! But that's really nice of everyone to throw them for you. I'm having 2; one was in my hometown, and the second is being thrown by fi's aunt and one of my bridesmaids where we live now. I'd just recommend you update your registry after each one so people have a lot of options for gifts. After just my first shower I had to add more things because there wasn't a whole lot left for another shower. Plus people will probably start sending you gifts in the mail.
  • Options
    Crysspears, your mom's dress is adorable!  My mom doesn't like shopping to begin with, especially for formalwear and she's plus-sized, too.  She also doesn't want anything too "old" or frumpy.

Thanks for the registry tips, avolker.  I've been working on ours a lot, but I feel like there's not very much we need besides what I've already put on there.  I have a co-worker and  couple cousins that are getting married soon too, so I've been stalking their registries for ideas :) Apparently, there were already a couple items purchased off ours, even though FMIL is sending out invites this week for theirs at the end of April.  I think i'm going to need a nice set of A LOT of thank yiou notes after these showers!

I know they'll be fun, it'll just be overwhelming and maybe a bit awkward, at least at first.  I think I'm going to look at thank you notes right now, so I'm prepared! :)

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    znd13znd13 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    That's awesome!
    On the suit subject, for my oldest sisters wedding, my Dad got a new black one...which is a miracle, he hates black siuts! To give you an idea of how much he hates them, he wouldn't even buy one for his own wedding! 
    I guess being a Dad for 20+ years softened him up a bit. :-)
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Shower CRAZINESS!!!!:[QUOTE]Crysspears, your mom's dress is adorable!nbsp; My mom doesn't like shopping to begin with, especially for formalwear and she's plussized, too.nbsp; She also doesn't want anything too "old" or frumpy.Thanks for the registry tips, avolker.nbsp; I've been working on ours a lot, but I feel like there's not very much we need besides what I've already put on there.nbsp; I have a coworker andnbsp; couple cousins that are getting married soon too, so I've been stalking their registries for ideas : Apparently, there were already a couple items purchased off ours, even though FMIL is sending out invites this week for theirs at the end of April.nbsp; I think i'm going to need a nice set of A LOT of thank yiou notes after these showers!I know they'll be fun, it'll just be overwhelming and maybe a bit awkward, at least at first.nbsp; I think I'm going to look at thank you notes right now, so I'm prepared! : Posted by emmyroo[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. I thought we wouldn't get half of what we registered for and was shocked how little was left. Now I'm just thinking of things we can upgrade, like our glasses, and what we can use more of like another set of sheets and towels, more silverware, whatever else. FI put the rhomba on and I made fun of him because I thought there's no way anyone will buy this. Low and behold, my cousin bought it for me at the shower lol.
  • Options
    :) So far I'm having 3 showers. One will be hosted by the ladies at my church in my hometown. One is being thrown by my MOH for the wedding party, my classmates & close familiy members. The last one is being held by some older ladies (friends of my late grandmother) are giving one for my grandmother's circle of friends. I was almost in a similar situation as you, but I asked the family members and BP to consolidate some of them because, as much as I love wedding showers,  I'm taking a HUGE med school test 1 month before the wedding & don't really have time to do so many parties. Hope you enjoy yours! 

I'm sure your mom will find something. Moms seem to be more picky. My mom has changed her dress twice I think & Fi's aunt (like his mom) has changed hers once that I know of.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm only having 1 shower and it's this Sunday, YAY!!!! I'm actually really nervous about being the center of attention also. I actually had to add a bunch of stuff to the registry this week because it was almost entirely gone. We were so pleasantly surprised and we didnt want to look greedy asking for unnecessary and expensive things. But now I was able to add some fun things like margarita & martini glasses and now those are gone too!
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Okay, I'm going to be TERRIBLE with registry stalking!!  My FMIL/FSIL sent out invites to the local shower this week and there are already 2 things purchased off my Kohl's registry!!  There were a couple items gone of my Target registry before those invites went out, so I'm worried someone was looking at the wrong registry and purchased it off ours instead.  I suppose they could be on their way, though :)

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I am having one thrown by my sister, MOH. I know this is petty, but I wish I was having one at work. They always throw bridal/baby showers for the employees when warranted. However, one of the owners mentions its only for first weddings. Well, I may have been married three times, but this is my first wedding damn it!!! I just get so frustrated. There are three of us planning weddings and for some reason ever since the others got engaged, my wedding is tossed under the rug. Maybe cause I am older, or cause its my 3rd marriage, I have no idea but it hurts when it happens...

Sorry to hijack, just hate that!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

151 invitedimage [ Invited]
     78 attendingimage [ Said Yes!]
     73 declinedimage [ Are Party Poopers]
     0 unknownimage [ Can't Find the Mailbox]
    RSVP June 19

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards