May 2013 Weddings

Writing our own vows

I know this is probably more appropriate to post on the "Vows" board, but I think there's more activity on this board...

I've wanted to write our own vows for as long as I can remember. I feel they are so much more personal and meaningful rather than "repeat after me..." (no offense to anyone that is choosing to do traditional!) However, my FI is having a hard time and thinks he wants to "wing it". I've pleaded with him to not do that because it would likely be a disaster. I've sent him a TON of ideas, things I used to write mine. Two questions:

1) Should I share what I have written with him so he gets a better idea of what I have? I'm not totally opposed to this and think it might be helpful for him to see what I wrote...I just don't know if it would like break tradition or be a bad idea for some reason?
2) Is it wrong of me to want this so badly, even though he doesn't really want it? He used to write me poems at the beginning of our relationship, so I know he can be good with words. It's bothering me that he's complaining about it so much :(

TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Writing our own vows

• 1) I don't think that you should share your vows with him. I think it would ruin the moment. Do you have an officiant? If you do, you can do what my FI and I are doing ... we are writing our own vows, not sharing them with each other but giving them to our officiant to look over to make sure that they go together. We also collaborated that we will be writing sonnets. 

2) I don't think it's wrong of you to want that but I also don't think you should push him. If he wants to write it his way, maybe you should let him do it his way and have an outsider look at your vows and make sure they work together.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I would share them ahead of time if we were writing vows.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards