Students
Options

During or Before a semester?

Hey ladies.

My FI and I are just starting to plan and we kind of have a tentative date right now. We are thinking the October of our senior year. What we were wondering was would it be better to get married before that semester or during like we were thinkning? We will definitly be good on the money front cause we are not planning for anything earlier then 2015 so we have time to save. Any thoughts would be wonderful, Thanks!

Re: During or Before a semester?

• Options
    It depends on your schedules and how big your wedding is. I could not do a wedding during the semester. We are doing all the planning ourselves and a lot of DIY, so especially the last month after the wedding it will be critical that I have a lot of free time (not something my school schedule+working+co-curriculars would offer). Plus, we plan on going on a honeymoon. Therefore, we decided to have the wedding in the summer. However, if your wedding structure and schedules are more laid back, you could potentially do it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Chloe brings up a great point, but on the other hand, you may enjoy having the summer before your fall semsester to plan (if your schedule has a lightened load in the summer, I know mine doesn't change at all). Overall it's really stressful to plan a wedding mid-semester, and it's hard to find the motivation to work on school work.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would never do a wedding during the semester.  Way too crazy.  We did our wedding five days after the end of the semester and that was crazy enough as it was!
  • Options

I would personally get married before the semester started.  Lovesclimbing is right; it is crazy to plan during a semester.  I got married 7 days after my semester got out and it was tough, possible but tough.  Considering you don't know what your course load will be like I would opt for beforehand.  Plus it is much easier to take a HM before school starts.  

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    It really depends on you and how good you are at multi-tasking, but I would personally say do it before the semester, or at the very least very early in the semester.  I don't know how your program is, but in my program (I was in English and Medieval Studies and now I'm doing a RMA in Medieval Studies) October was crazy with papers and midterms, so I could probably survive doing a wedding at the end of September, but there would be more stress than doing it before the semester started.  And if you work and do school, I would do absolutely not!  That's way too much on your plate!

• Options
    Another thought I had because, like PP, I have midterms in October. Another reason FI and I choose the middle of the summer was so that not only would we have calm(er) time before, but so that we would also have time to relax after. Be together as husband and wife, organize our stuff (including new gifts), write thank you notes, change my name, etc. I would hate to have to adjust to married life in the middle of midterms.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're getting married 2 weeks after graduation and it's incredibly stressful.  I'd do it before the semester.  It wouldn't have been possible for us to get married during a semester, especially since we wanted a honeymoon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    Summer weddings are definitely best for students. We had a June wedding, one week after I finished teaching spring session and it was still crazy. I couldn't imagine getting married in the middle of a semester!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards