Moms and Maids

FG question

Does the FG have to match anyone in the wedding, or could she wear her own colour? My colours for the wedding are cornflower blue and violet.
However, my FMIL called me up yesterday saying she was in walmart looking at dresses for our FG/her granddaughter. Thing is, the dress is a tealish kind of blue (fi and I went to go look at it later). She said she was going to buy the dress anyway, certain that our FG would wear it at another time besides the wedding, if I decided against it.  I'm trying to think if I'd be okay with a teal dress for the FG or not. I haven't been overly picky with much of the wedding, but was kind of hoping to have the fg in a purple dress (within her mother's budget) - as it is her favourite colour, and happens to be one of my favourite colours too.

I think I'd still feel bad saying no, but at the same time, it's a completely different shade of blue. Torn on what to do. 
Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

Re: FG question

• Check it out and decide from there.  If the color totally clashes or looks weird then yes you can say you do not want her to wear it.  But the teal may blend very nicely with your colors so it just might work.  End of the day, she will look fine if its different from your "official" colors, but I would for sure want it to "match."

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_fg-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:a7e74196-d03f-4b5a-a5cf-717682b4ac06Post:605acfbf-d384-4a84-8075-d9adc8288503">Re: FG question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Check it out and decide from there.  If the color totally clashes or looks weird then yes you can say you do not want her to wear it.  But the teal may blend very nicely with your colors so it just might work.  End of the day, she will look fine if its different from your "official" colors, but I would for sure want it to "match."
    Posted by erinlin25[/QUOTE]

I don't think it'll match, but I could be wrong. I guess I'll have to see it again and decide.

• edited April 2013
    As the bride, you get to choose the colors for your wedding. You could thank your FMIL for her offer, but tell her you would like to the FG to wear purple. Don't feel badly if your FMIL buys the teal dress for her granddaughter.She could wear it to your shower or the RD. 

• Look at it and decide, but I'll be honest. If it were me, I would want her to at least be in colors that were part of the wedding, not just a completely random color. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_fg-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:a7e74196-d03f-4b5a-a5cf-717682b4ac06Post:260467c2-3b93-4020-86aa-01496d70c699">Re: FG question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Look at it and decide, but I'll be honest. If it were me, I would want her to at least be in colors that were part of the wedding, not just a completely random color. 
    Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]

Yeah I completely agree with you. I brought it up to fi last night, saying they didn't exactly match and I wasn't sure if I was okay with that. He said it would probably be fine and his mother wouldn't be insulted. I'm pretty sure our FG would be thrilled to have a new dress anyway though, but going to stick with my idea of purple for her for the wedding. I made arrangements with my FSIL to go shopping with her and FG to find something.

• I am letting my flower girl wear any SOLID print color she wants.  I remember being a little girl and loving the spotlight. Far be it from me to deny :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards