April 2013 Weddings
Options

Jury Duty the day before wedding

I just found out that I have been summoned for jury duty April 25 and 26. I get married April 27! I am supposed to leave the country for my honeymoon a few days after, so even if I did get picked, that would interfere. What a way to celebrate one month to go. I've also been called in Michigan, where the wedding is, however I live in North Carolina for grad school. Oh boy.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Jury Duty the day before wedding

• Options
    Oh no! Maybe you'll get lucky and won't have to show at all.
  • Options
    No big deal--call them and let them know about your wedding. They will undoubtedly take you off the list. I also got a jury duty summons--but in my county, you fill out a form online and then they send you a summons within 30 days, so it probably won't be an issue for me. We're not honeymooning until May, though.
  • Options
    I know there are certain reasons why you can get out of Jury Duty.  I would call up and explain.  A girl at my office got out of jury duty in FL because she was going on vacation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    They'll easily let you out for that, just because you are in school in a different state, not to mention the wedding and being able to prove out of country travel (which they let people out for all of that). Call them and let them know and they'll postpone it. No biggie! I had to do that all the time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I know in CT there is a section on the form where you can postpone and pick some alternate dates. Is there something similar on your form? I used to work for an attorney and he told me to always pick a friday before a holiday weekend. You can almost bet that you will never have to serve, and if you do, it won't likely be a long, drawn out case.

Good luck!

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    I've been so nervous about getting summoned.  I think 3 people I work with have received summons in the last month?  I'm moving away in a couple of weeks but I'm just so nervous that I'll get it at the very last minute.
  • Options
    Let them know you are a student in a different state and you shouldn't have to do it. It happened to me when I was in grad school also, I got summoned in the county my parents live in (3 hours away). I had to send them a letter, but it wasn't difficult. 
    135 invited image | 45 Yes image | 11 No image | 79 Still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: March 23
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2013 Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaids Dresses
  • Options

Count the questions and look for whether someone said yes or no. When they say "ok, thanks for your time, we don't need you" look and see which question they answered yes or no to. Not sure how the rooms are set up for you, but sometimes you're able to keep track of what someone answered on a certain question.

Otherwise, there should be a number for you to call to postpone the date.

Anniversary
  • Options
    You probably shouldn't have to since you are out of state for school, never mind about to get married. Should be no problem.
  • Options
    I talked to someone in the jury board office, and it looks like being in school out of state will get me out of it. She didn't even give me a chance to elaborate how I have a trip planned right after and wouldn't be able to serve on a jury. I should have it all confirmed by the end of the week. Now I can stop having a panic attack, about that at least.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards