Registry and Gift Forum

Delete my china?

My shower is in about 2 weeks. I had a great time registering but I was hung up the whole time over my china. I felt like it was a little too expensive, but I absolutely fell in love with it and couldn't find anything to compare it to. After talking with my mom and family, I realized that if people thought it was too expensive for them, they simply wouldn't buy it and that would be that. So I registered for it, and I still feel a little guilty over it.

Fast forward to now, and someone bought our set of accent plates, but not a single place setting or serving piece. I think the price might be driving people off. I am wondering if I should just delete the pattern from our registry and be happy with our everyday china? Our everyday china is simple, but it is high quality from Williams Sonoma, and I could always dress it up with table decorations and accessories when I need to.  I just feel like, at this point, it seems like no one is going to buy it, and there is almost no chance of getting even close to the entire set. So I think I should just delete it, and the person who would have bought a place setting can direct their money elsewhere on the registry? We willl have to return the accent plates anyway if no one buys any of the settings.

I just dont know. l love it, but can live without it. I also think we have more necessities on there that haven't been bought yet either, so it might be a good idea to steer people towards those instead of the china by deleting the china? I have no clue. help!
Dreaming of our Hawaiian honeymoon! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Delete my china?

• I would leave it on there. If you get some settings but not all, you can buy the rest yourself, return the ones you received, or buy the outstanding settings down the road. 2 weeks is still awhile, I know I always buy my gifts super last minute and I'm sure there are other procrastinators out there as well. If someone has looked at your registry and intends to buy you china but hasn't gotten around to it yet, and then finds it completely missing from the registry, they may be confused or bummed. Also, some stores, like BBB, offer site to store shipping but the item isn't removed from the registry until it is physically picked up in stores, even though it was already ordered. You don't want to delete an item a guest has already purchased for you
  • Leave it.   Most people buy gifts 1-2 days before, or like myself, the day of.  Also, your wedding is still a ways away!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would probably leave it.  Most of my guests bought their shower gifts within the last 2 weeks.  And people may purchase them for you for your wedding gift.  I'm in the NJ area also and I assumed everyone would give cash for the wedding (since that is pretty typical here) but we've already received 3 wedding gifts that were expensive items off of our registry (mainly from older or out of state people).  So you never know.  
  • Leave it.  Most people don't buy gifts until just before showers and usually give cash for weddings in NJ.  You can use the money you get and any gift cards to the store to buy the rest and get a completion discount on top.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Definitely leave it, you still have plenty of time before your shower and wedding.  I love our china pattern, but we only received 5 plates and the matching teapot for our wedding.  We've already purchased matching teacups, and plan to purchase more plates through the years.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • We didn't get any china until after our shower.  We now have all the place settings and one serving piece.

Leave it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would leave it. If you dont get it all you can always buy it yourself or ask for pieces for Christmas or something like that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • leave it in case you decide to buy it, you can purchase it at discount (in most cases).  Plus as PPs suggested, in my circle is a typical wedding gift as opposed to a shower gift.  I was hesitant to add china since I knew we would not use it a lot and my mother , FI mom, grandmothers all kept asking what china we were getting.  I think with their generation it is a traditional wedding item. 

Anniversary
  • krizzo17krizzo17 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited March 2013
    Leave it - you can use wedding money to buy it, you'll probably get at least 1 or 2 gift cards at the shower, plus there are always birthdays, anniversaries, etc where your husband or parents could get you 1 or 2 pieces at a time. You have the rest of your (married!) life ahead of you - you don't need all the china at once!

Plus, I got married in SJ, and like flojo I got a lot of boxed gifts at the wedding, although that is fairly typical for my circle.

ETA: Also - about 50% of my shower guests went shopping the morning of the shower, so 2 weeks out is still a lot of time.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I sort of went through the same thing where I got one set of china at my shower and was worried about getting the other sets/how we were going to spend wedding money/what happened if I didn't get all of them/etc. Then, as a wedding gift, FI's aunt bought us all the remaining sets we had on the registry (very, very generous of her, definitely) bringing us from one set of china to all eight. You still have a while to the wedding. Just wait and see what happens. 
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Thanks, I'll keep it. I know that at the wedding we will most likely only get cash as that is what is common in our circle. That's why I sort of saw the shower as the end date for the china. But maybe some of FI's relatives will surprise us!
    Dreaming of our Hawaiian honeymoon! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited March 2013
    Leave it on there. If no one ends up buying it, use it as a guide for yourself to buy when you get money or when your birthday comes around, ask your parents for it or something. It's sort of like a shopping list so you don't forget what you want to buy.

I agree with you. My registry has some expensive things but some cheap ones as well. My mom kept telling me to remove the expensive stuff but i said if people don't want to spend the money that's fine, they don't have to buy it. Some of the things we could really use though- like a new vaccuum. (Ours sucks... no pun intended).

Also sometimes people who don't attend the wedding, will send you a gift from your registry after the fact. It doesn't hurt to keep it there at all, so I would.

FWIW, no one bought our china either. I think people prefer to buy more "fun" things or things they feel you'll get better use out of.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_delete-my-china?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:62793079-0511-4f9f-920a-bc80f3de1033Post:e7e0c781-94bd-4124-b382-4b1e01cca878">Re: Delete my china?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Leave it on there. If no one ends up buying it, use it as a guide for yourself to buy when you get money or when your birthday comes around, ask your parents for it or something. It's sort of like a shopping list so you don't forget what you want to buy. I agree with you. My registry has some expensive things but some cheap ones as well. My mom kept telling me to remove the expensive stuff but i said if people don't want to spend the money that's fine, they don't have to buy it. Some of the things we could really use though- like a new vaccuum. (Ours sucks... no pun intended). Also sometimes people who don't attend the wedding, will send you a gift from your registry after the fact. It doesn't hurt to keep it there at all, so I would. <strong>FWIW, no one bought our china either. I think people prefer to buy more "fun" things or things they feel you'll get better use out of.</strong>
    Posted by OwningAHome1981[/QUOTE]

I think this might actually depend on age/circle. None of my friends got china, everyone female family member over 60 asked what our china pattern was first thing. I think it sort of depends if your circle goes for "traditional" gifts or not, since you really can't get more traditional than wedding china it seems.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_delete-my-china?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:62793079-0511-4f9f-920a-bc80f3de1033Post:f1b51ebb-2bd7-461d-9e31-8d4ea89e70e6">Re: Delete my china?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Delete my china? : I think this might actually depend on age/circle. None of my friends got china, everyone female family member over 60 asked what our china pattern was first thing. I think it sort of depends if your circle goes for "traditional" gifts or not, since you really can't get more traditional than wedding china it seems.
    Posted by jessicadall[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree.  We've gotten a lot of ours - all the place settings, and the serving pieces are starting to disappear.  It depends entirely on your circle.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am in the exact same position! Thanks for asking the question!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree.  I say leave it. 

I also have somewhat expensive china on our registry.  I know we would only use it for holidays or special occassions, but I loved it.  I figure if people want to buy it, great.  If not, maybe we can buy it with our store discount, after the fact.  If not, oh well.  It at least gives people an option, so I am all for leaving it.
     Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We got one set now a few days ago lol, which is even weirder than not getting any at all b/c now I feel like I have to go out and purchase a bunch of sets now for myself- otherwise what am I going to do with only one place setting of china, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_delete-my-china?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:62793079-0511-4f9f-920a-bc80f3de1033Post:20b4127e-984d-462f-86d0-33d2476e04db">Re: Delete my china?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We got one set now a few days ago lol, which is even weirder than not getting any at all b/c now I feel like I have to go out and purchase a bunch of sets now for myself- otherwise what am I going to do with only one place setting of china, lol.
    Posted by OwningAHome1981[/QUOTE]

<div>Your wedding is still more than 2 months away.  At the two week mark ours exploded.  Just be patient and if nobody else buys it then you can return it for store credit.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards