Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Erg... who is right here?

So we had our meeting to plan with our cake lady.  We are going through everything, and we get to the size of the cake.  We are planning on having a main wedding cake and a grooms cake.  Wedding cake will be alternating lemon poppy seed and champagne, while grooms cake will be good old chocolate.

We are talking about the number of people at the wedding, and the size of the cakes.  I thought it made sense to have a wedding cake big enough for everyone and then a grooms cake that could maybe feed half (to accomodate people that want to slices, like me :) while still keeping us somewhat budgetted.  I think at this point my FI started doing numbers in his head, and freaked about the price.  Then both he and the baker talked me into a smaller wedding cake and grooms cake that put together would cover the total guests plus a little extra.  With this being our first meeting, and with all the cake I'd tasted :), my brain got clouded and I just conceded for the time being.  Since then my mind keeps going back to this thinking its not enough cake.

We have only given a deposit, which is a set amount regardless of the cake size, and we can make changes to everything until a certain date (one month ahead of wedding).

So, what do you think?  Is their plan fine or should I put my foot down for a bigger cake?

Note: we could make it bigger and stay within budget, but he doesn't want to max the cake budget if we don't have to...

Re: Erg... who is right here?

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    The two cakes combined will enough for all of your guests?
    If so, as long as the cake(s) will be able to be properly portioned and served by your venue, you should be fine.

Any wedding I've been to, the cake is served at random, anyways. Or it's left out on a table and guests go up and grab a piece.
  • Options
    If I'm understanding this correctly, between the groom's cake and your main wedding cake, there's enough for one slice per person, with a bit "extra"? To be honest, that sounds about right, but we didn't have a groom's cake.

Our guest list was 100, we ended up with 73 people. The cake presumably fed 100 but we had half of the very large bottom layer left. I think you should trust your baker, the expert at this, and go with what they say. A "bit extra" may be 10-20% over your guest list. I don't think anyone at our wedding had more than one piece of cake, which was our dessert, in addition to a surprise ice cream sundae bar later in the evening. Even that was a waste, but we sure enjoyed the ice cream & sorbet for weeks, LOL.
  • Options
    donjoe2448donjoe2448 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2013
    I think that as a professional baker, they would know what they are talking about.  Not everyone will want to go back for a second piece and if there is enough for a bit "extra" than you should be fine with having enough for those that do want more! Go any bigger than the baker recommends and you might end up with TOO much cake and that just seems like a waste of good cake AND money! Use the money you save and put it in elsewhere! :)
  • Options
    As long as everyone gets a piece of cake, you're fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards