Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Outdoor Wedding in Pgh - worth it?

My fiance has a plot of flat land where his family goes camping near Elwood City.  We both want to have our wedding there, but a spring wedding outdoors in PA is precarious.

Is it worth it?  Of course we'd probably get tents, but what if it rains?  Do we need flooring (not just a dance floor)?  Our budget is pretty modest, so we were thinking that a barn or some sort of structure tied to nature would be a better use of money, since it would include restrooms, & a floor and roof.  Maybe the lodge at North Park.  Something like that.

Thoughts?  Has anyone been to an outdoor wedding in Pittsburgh in the spring?  How was the weather?  Did it rain?  How were they prepared?

Thanks, ladies.

Re: Outdoor Wedding in Pgh - worth it?

• Options
    We're getting married outside in June. We have a tent and the option to rent walls the week of the wedding if the weather looks terrible. We aren't renting a floor for the whole tent, just a dance floor area. You can check all the almanacs and historical weather data you want, but you're still rolling the dice when it comes to the weather on your wedding day.

OUr venue provides all rentals, but I did price out rentals on my own about a year and a half ago, and between tents, dance floors, bar areas, tables, chairs, etc., it's not the most cost effective way to go.

I've been to a reception at the Lodge at North Park, and I highly recommend it if you're looking to stay within a limited budget.
  • Options
    We were going to use a family's property and do something similar until I looked at the cost of renting a dance floor, tent, porta potties, generators, etc because there wasn't a building or any utilities on the property. It got way too involved. I'd suggest a park with an indoor/outdoor option! 
  • Options
    Thanks for the input.

There's still plenty of time for us to decide, but every time we talk about it we both automatically picture it taking place at that camp.  I think we'd regret not doing it there, and if it rains, it rains.  But if it were the most beautiful spring day, we'd kick ourselves.

Also, I got a quote from Mr.John's porta-potties - the Deluxe or VIP model is $275 rental, $75 delivery/pickup, $65 to fill with water for the sink (If you don't have access to a garden hose).  That was much more affordable than what we had originally thought.  And we don't need the super duper nice ones, let's be real - it's a place where people empty themselves.  I don't care if they have to sit on a plastic toilet seat.  XD
  • Options
    Definitely do what you want and stick within the budget that you are comfortable with. I'm getting married at a camp in WV for less than 5K and I know people will judge it but it's our day so they can either suck it up or not show up ;P 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards