Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

when did you buy your dress

I'm getting married on Sept. 21....I still have not bought my dress.
When did you buy your dress. Am I crazy for not having it already!?
I am worried that I will not find one I like in stock and it's 5 months away!
How many people found the dress on their first bridal visit?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: when did you buy your dress

• Options
    I was completely surprised at how early we need to order these dresses. I don't know how everyone else seemed to know that.

I ordered mine in December for a July wedding. I won't have it until May. I am part of a July 2013 Bride Facebook page and all of the ladies have theirs in already. I started late for someone who wanted a designer gown.

If I were you, I'd start looking now. It will give you plenty of time to check out dresses in stock at a bunch of places. It would even give you time to order a dress if you are willing to pay a rush fee.

I thought I found my dress on my first visit. I didn't order it because I promised my mom and best friend I'd go with them in my hometown. It turned out that it was the exact same dress my friend wore so I'm glad I didn't order it. So, it was my 2nd day of shopping, 2nd store that day where I found my dress.
  • Options
    I bought mine in Feb. for my Sept wedding but I was super early because I bought it at the first store I visited.

For a late Sept. you should start dress shopping now. Davids dresses arrive within 3 months but a designer dress CAN take 5 months + so you should schedule a few appointments.

Don't take too many people to your appt, too many opinions can affect your decision.
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I bought mine online from JCrew. Got it in about a week.

There are other options, but if you feel you need to go to a bridal shop, do it now.
  • Options
    Bought mine in July for a June wedding the next year. Wanted to be safe. Got it in February and now I can find accessories and shoes, veil, etc. 

You may not be able to find a dress now if you plan on ordering one. They take about 5-6 months to come in and you're cutting it close. You may have to buy one off the rack. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    I bought mine a year early b/c I thought it would take me longer to find it. I found it on my second visit.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I bought mine in February for an August wedding but I already knew that the designer usually took 4 months to ship dresses so I got mine in June. But I also knew that if I had wanted a Maggie Sottero dress, I could not have waited that long since her dresses took 8 months where I live. So you may need to limit your designer choices...or try dresses you love and see if you can find them on the pre-owned sites like preownedweddingdresses.com or tradesy.com.
  • Options
    I bought my at Davids Bridal- Ordered at beginning of March for my May 3rd wedding. I know that is cutting it close, but it came in last week. Having it altered and will pick it up on April 19th. Perfect timing! However I know that is probably too close for some folks. 
  • Options
    Like PP have said, it depends on where you get it and the designer. I ordered mine at a bridal salon in late October and it just arrived last week. I have a problem with the length (too short - designer shipping error) so now I am scrambling to get replacement in time for alterations and my early May wedding. Typically you need to allow about 8-10 weeks (possibly more for wedding season) for alterations on top of the time estimated to get your gown; so keep that in mind when ordering. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I purchased my dress in early August for my early July wedding. It came in a little earlier than its estimated arrival time and was in-store in late January -- so, just over 5 months. Depending on the designer/dress, it could potentially be up to 8 months.

I went to two places in one day, found my dress at the second store and bought it right then and there. Don't frustrate yourself by trying too many dresses on! They'll begin to look the same and it'll be harder to make a decision. Start looking now! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_when-did-you-buy-your-dress-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:4176783c-63fa-48fd-83d1-800a0ca32d03Post:21d18be8-be89-4bd2-8a76-3a9778413433">when did you buy your dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm getting married on Sept. 21....I still have not bought my dress. When did you buy your dress. Am I crazy for not having it already!? I am worried that I will not find one I like in stock and it's 5 months away! How many people found the dress on their first bridal visit?
    Posted by norinjuan[/QUOTE]

You DEFINITELY need to get one ASAP...Some take 6 months or longer to come in....
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_when-did-you-buy-your-dress-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:4176783c-63fa-48fd-83d1-800a0ca32d03Post:34e42463-2aa2-49e7-af2e-0862590195ec">Re: when did you buy your dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to when did you buy your dress : You DEFINITELY need to get one ASAP...Some take 6 months or longer to come in....
    Posted by loca4pook[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This.  And if you order it from a traditional boutique, you will probably have to pay a rush fee.  This is (or was) an avoidable stressor.....get on it!  :)

</div>
  • Options
    Andama08Andama08 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2013
    I got engaged August 1, 2012 and within the month I started dress browsing online and in magazines. In September I went out with my sister and the first dress I tried on and fell in love with. I waited a few more weeks, tried on more dresses but I still loved the first one. I think I forced myself to continue shopping just to make sure it really was "the one" The bridal shop told me the dress usually takes 6-8 months to come in. I wanted to leave enough time for fittings and alterations and not be stressed, so I was fitted and ordered my dress mid-November (wedding is July 19, 2013). Suprisingly my dress came in extra extra early, in January, barely two months. I left it at the store for free storage and I just took it out last week for my first fitting. It's just a good feeling to know it's taken care of and I won't be struggling to find a dress last minute.
  • Options
    I bought my dress two weeks ago for my June wedding. It was the fiesta dress I tried on, at the first and only appointment I made. It was everything I had dreamed it would be from when I was a little girl. It has everything I wanted, but didn't feel would be appropriate. I can hardly wait to go pick it up!
  • Options
    Oh, wow...i think i am going to davids bridal like next weekend. I hope everything works out. Thanks ladies for all your replies.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I went to over 15 bridal stores. Tried on over 50 dresses until finding the dress. I ordered my dress in September from a bridal store and was in the store within 6 weeks. I couldn't believe how fast I received it. Happy Looking it was one of my favorite things!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_when-did-you-buy-your-dress-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:4176783c-63fa-48fd-83d1-800a0ca32d03Post:21d18be8-be89-4bd2-8a76-3a9778413433">when did you buy your dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm getting married on Sept. 21....I still have not bought my dress. When did you buy your dress. Am I crazy for not having it already!? I am worried that I will not find one I like in stock and it's 5 months away! How many people found the dress on their first bridal visit?
    Posted by norinjuan[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Hey I'm getting married on Sept 21st too! Yay! I already bought my dress. I went dress shopping on October 6th and found The Dress on my first bridal visit. I went back to order it and put down the deposit on October 27. I would recommend that you try to find your dress soon! 

</div>
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Options
    I got my dress in January when my wedding was October of that year.  I could have waited, but the dress was going to get discontinued, and I had my tax return in hand anyway.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    I ordered a custom designed dress (I designed my own dress) from a seamstress I found after EXTENSIVE searching.  I was trying to avoid paying more than x $, but it took forever for me to find this woman.  I was beginning to dispare of finding anyone in the US (vs China/Hong Kong) to make what I wanted in my budget.  If you can't find what you want,  you could have someone make it for you.  This might cost the same or more, or less.  Depends on the vision  you have.  But, it would almost certainly take less time vs a bridal shop.  This woman assures me any dress she makes takes no more than 4 months to complete, even in her high season (she is based in Michigan so the  high season for weddings there is the summer.)  If you want to work with her, please say Ella referred you. Her name is Janet.  www.mybigfatbeautifulwedding.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards