Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

The million dollar wedding makeup question...

Wanted to see what you other ladies were doing, using a make up artist or going DIY for your makeup? Also, what sort of prices have you been quoted? I'm currently on the fence

Re: The million dollar wedding makeup question...

• Options
    Hi buttercup, I myself am a makeup artist but I will not be doing my own makeup for my wedding, it's too hard to try and concentrate on your liquid eyeliner when a photographer is in your face or people are running around, I myself charge a bride $50 for makeup, this includes my travel to her venue and includes a trial. Price depends on the years of experience and what makeup line she uses it can also be a factor if you are coming to her or she is going to you. Hope this helps!!
  • Options
    I hired a professional makeup artist as I wanted to relax and be pampered and knew I could never achieve the look I was going for doing it myself.  My wedding was 3 years go and I live in a city where professional wedding MUAs are expensive--I didn't pay anywhere near $50 I can tell you that.  Check with your local board or Google to see what the pricing is like in your area.
  • Options
    I did my own makeup because I wanted to feel comfortable and look natural--not too different from every day. I splurged on some good quality products and then experimented to get the look I wanted. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_the-million-dollar-wedding-makeup-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:2623bd45-7400-489b-8abb-84d932f8848dPost:8c2a2310-63e3-43a7-addd-cb7ec5dc381c">The million dollar wedding makeup question...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wanted to see what you other ladies were doing, using a make up artist or going DIY for your makeup? Also, what sort of prices have you been quoted? I'm currently on the fence
    Posted by buttercup112[/QUOTE]

I went to a salon to get my makeup done.  It was the cheapest I found at $120 for hair and makeup. In the NYC area a MUA that travels to you will run anywhere from $150-$300 for the bride alone.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm getting mine done - I feel pretty confident in my own skills, but makeup artists have access to tools that I don't (ex - airbrush foundation sprayers). 

My artist is pretty spendy - it is going to be $250 for my hair and makeup, but she's one of the best in town and is traveling over an hour to our venue with a team that will also be dolling up the bridal party. 
  • Options
    I've never really been into make-up so I asked my aunt to do it. Honestly I wouldn't trust anyone else on something so important.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_the-million-dollar-wedding-makeup-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:2623bd45-7400-489b-8abb-84d932f8848dPost:8c2a2310-63e3-43a7-addd-cb7ec5dc381c">The million dollar wedding makeup question...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wanted to see what you other ladies were doing, using a make up artist or going DIY for your makeup? Also, what sort of prices have you been quoted? I'm currently on the fence

<div>I'm using a make-up artist and it is costing $50.00.</div>
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_the-million-dollar-wedding-makeup-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:2623bd45-7400-489b-8abb-84d932f8848dPost:8c2a2310-63e3-43a7-addd-cb7ec5dc381c">The million dollar wedding makeup question...</a>:

I'm having it professionally done and did a trial run first.  I didn't like the airbrush so I experimented at Sephora and found a makeup I wanted the MUA to put on me the day of.  I personally wouldn't DIY the wedding day even if you are really good at makeup application because you're going to be stressed and nervous as it is.  Plus, a MUA knows how to amplify without overamplifying with application enough for the photos.  When we do our own makeup, it's most likely more subtle for everyday (no photos in mind).  Plus they know not to use certain makeups that will reflect off the flash and give you ghost face (don't use anything with SPF).  Obviously my vote is for MUA, but everyone is different! I am paying around $100 I believe but I am in NY.  Unless you are in NY or Cali, it will probably be a touch cheaper for you.  Everything is so pricey here! Ugh LoL  Good luck!
  • Options
    I was quoted 850 in the Springfield, Missouri area for h/m for myself, MOH and 2 bridesmaids. Roughly $200 each for the MUA to come to us which is approximately 30 minutes from their salon. She will stay throughout the entire event to do touchups for me. (no touchups will be done on the rest of the bridal party)

We are doing photos prior to the ceremony so I will want a touchup prior to starting and then once during the reception prior to us leaving the venue so my pictures are perfect throughout the event.  Not rsure I want to pay this much so we are checking around and may go another route.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards