Offbeat Weddings

Help-- are my ideas *too* over-the-top/ offbeat??

My wedding is in less than 2 months and I am really not great at planning weddings/anything, and neither is my fiance. We are both super laid-back last-minute people. My fiance wants his groomsmen to dress in a theme from the band "The Hives" -- black and white. I am totally down with this idea because I wanted a red, black and white wedding. 

I will be 6.5 months pregnant for our wedding and we're great with that (we picked the date knowing I'd be this pregnant) except that I think it kind of put a damper on my wedding dress shopping because I was physically limited to an empire high-waist dress that isn't really my style. I bought a white dress that I was pretty happy with, under the circumstances, and I was planning to put my bridesmaids in black and white or black and red, and carry red flowers etc.

Right after I bought the dress I found a red one in the same store that I really love. I put it on and everyone in the store, including the salespeople, store owner, and my mom and sister, said I should buy it because I looked "sassy" and "confident" in it. My body has changed a lot during this pregnancy (my first) and it's the only dress I really felt great in. But I was like, am I crazy to want to wear a red dress to my wedding?! It's always been my favorite color, and I didn't want to put my bridesmaids in it because I'd be jealous that they were in my favorite color and I was in boring white. Ha ha. But would I regret it? Would the pictures not look wedding-y enough?! Due to my indecision, the store is holding both dresses for me.

These past few days I've been thinking of letting the bridesmaids wear whatever black and white dresses they want (or even a solid black or solid white dress, and we can add accents in the opposite color-- i.e. belt, sash, flower etc.), and I will wear the red wedding dress. This will make for great photos I can frame in our red, white and black- inspired house. 

Is my idea too over-the-top crazy? Will it look like a circus with a pregnant bride in red, her mismatched black-and-white bridesmaids, and groomsmen off the cover of a Hives album?

Please help...

Re: Help-- are my ideas *too* over-the-top/ offbeat??

• Welcome and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Relax. Your plans are not totally crazy, at least probably not to most of us on this board. Having said that, only you can answer as to whether or not you'll regret having a red wedding dress. Do I think it's crazy? Not at all, if that's what you want to wear then wear it! If you think that you'll regret it then I would recommend going the more traditional route. 

In terms of etiquette regarding the bridal party outfits, just make sure you ask their budget privately and then go with whatever the lowest price point is. If you keep your current plan of letting them pick their own dresses that's completely fine since they can select a dress in their budget. It's really only if you end up picking a specific dress you want them to wear. 

It was really hard to find pictures of a bride in red plus her bridal party but here are a few to help give you an idea of what it could look like all together:

Good luck with your planning!
  • anssettanssett member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013
    I think red is a great color for a wedding dress. That's tradition in India! I went with pink. I didn't want white, period. Do whatever makes you and your fiance happy! Decor/clothes/theme are completely open to interpretation for weddings, imo.
  • Go for it!  I think if you love the dress and feel great in it, that should be the only criteria. Color be damned.
    Congrats!
  • Thanks everyone. :) I'm just going to go with my gut... I feel like I'm not traditional at all but that's okay, and that I should just go with it rather than fighting it and trying to fit into some mold that's not me. 

Thanks for the picture links, they're great inspiration. :)
  • I love your color combos (red is my fav), and I'm a HUGE fan of red wedding dresses.

I'm glad you've decided to do what you feel and go for it! Good for you!
  • You feel great, and confident AND it's your favorite color. Miss, you found YOUR dress. Screw tradition. :)
  • I think you should go for the red dress!!! It is your wedding!!  I am actually in a similiar situation... White makes me pale and pasty so I prefer a wedding gown with some color.  I am brain storming bride wedding costumes for a Halloween wedding!  I think your wedding ideas sound awesome and unique.  Do what makes you and your husband happy!  Best wishes!!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_help-are-my-ideas-too-over-the-top-offbeat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:6ef36fef-d20d-4d82-a4cd-3757fd680451Post:d9f56c42-ecb4-4381-b9ea-93ae27d7ca1a">Help-- are my ideas *too* over-the-top/ offbeat??</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding is in less than 2 months and I am really not great at planning weddings/anything, and neither is my fiance. We are both super laid-back last-minute people. My fiance wants his groomsmen to dress in a theme from the band "The Hives" -- black and white. I am totally down with this idea because I wanted a red, black and white wedding.  I will be 6.5 months pregnant for our wedding and we're great with that (we picked the date knowing I'd be this pregnant) except that I think it kind of put a damper on my wedding dress shopping because I was physically limited to an empire high-waist dress that isn't really my style. I bought a white dress that I was pretty happy with, under the circumstances, and I was planning to put my bridesmaids in black and white or black and red, and carry red flowers etc. Right after I bought the dress I found a red one in the same store that I really love. I put it on and everyone in the store, including the salespeople, store owner, and my mom and sister, said I should buy it because I looked "sassy" and "confident" in it. My body has changed a lot during this pregnancy (my first) and it's the only dress I really felt great in. But I was like, am I crazy to want to wear a red dress to my wedding?! It's always been my favorite color, and I didn't want to put my bridesmaids in it because I'd be jealous that they were in my favorite color and I was in boring white. Ha ha. But would I regret it? Would the pictures not look wedding-y enough?! Due to my indecision, the store is holding both dresses for me. These past few days I've been thinking of letting the bridesmaids wear whatever black and white dresses they want (or even a solid black or solid white dress, and we can add accents in the opposite color-- i.e. belt, sash, flower etc.), and I will wear the red wedding dress. This will make for great photos I can frame in our red, white and black- inspired house.  Is my idea too over-the-top crazy? Will it look like a circus with a pregnant bride in red, her mismatched black-and-white bridesmaids, and groomsmen off the cover of a Hives album? Please help...
    Posted by SWwed[/QUOTE]
  • My wedding was black, red and white and I considered a red dress before my sister told me she could rework my mother's dress so I might be biased but... GO FOR IT!
    A wedding dress isn't about colour, or a style, its about what dress makes YOU feel like gold on the big day! If it feels like the perfect wedding dress to  you, then its the perfect wedding dress :)
  • Go for it! If you feel good you'll enjoy the day more & enjoy looking back at the pictures if you love the dress you wore on your wedding day. As longs as BM dresses aren't red, it will be fabulous. And nothing wrong with giving BM just a dress color and letting them get a dress of their choice. No rule stating they have to all be in the same dress. I think it's becoming more the norm to just wear the same color but different dresses.
  • Those red dresses in those photos the PP posted were AMAZING!  WOW!! 

I think you should wear what makes YOU feel amazing AND beautiful!! 

And red is such a vibrant and alive color! 

I cannot WAIT to see photos of your wedding day!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards