Wedding Invitations & Paper

Need Help with FUNNY wedding invite & RSVP wording

Help!! Fiance and I are trying to come up with funny wording for our invites and RSVP's.  We both always said we would never get married (when pigs fly).  But now, have decided to, and are having a short ceremonyt and casual pig roast (huge party) at our house. 

We want to stay away from the "with bells on" and similar over used wording. 

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Re: Need Help with FUNNY wedding invite & RSVP wording

• I'm a fan of traditional wording and I really dislike most "cutesy" wording ideas.  Using wording that tries to be funny or cute usually ends up being confusing or not getting the basic information across concisely.  Perhaps other posters who are more creative than me will have some suggestions for you.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_need-help-with-funny-wedding-invite-rsvp-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:eacd435a-8c53-4b1d-9936-c58223d2a50ePost:2944a72f-6c24-41db-8bd3-090ffb0a7d0c">Re: Need Help with FUNNY wedding invite & RSVP wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a fan of traditional wording and I really dislike most "cutesy" wording ideas.  Using wording that tries to be funny or cute usually ends up being confusing or not getting the basic information across concisely.  Perhaps other posters who are more creative than me will have some suggestions for you.
    Posted by libby2483[/QUOTE]

Cosigned Jen4948.
  • I am not creative or helpful with this, but I love the idea! Everything I am reading about weddings is so proper, and I totally do not care. Its my wedding and I will do what I want. We have funny things planned for out ceremony and reception, but I did not think to make the invites funny as well... good for you!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_need-help-with-funny-wedding-invite-rsvp-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:eacd435a-8c53-4b1d-9936-c58223d2a50ePost:da42e75d-3315-4209-93ba-28761c1ee2d0">Re: Need Help with FUNNY wedding invite & RSVP wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need Help with FUNNY wedding invite & RSVP wording : Cosigned Jen4948.
    Posted by Jen4948[/QUOTE]

And Addie. Sorry. Not a fan.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • FI's cousin is having a rustic, casual wedding and her RSVP's were mad libs. Very cute, imo.

Here's a link to a similar RSVP
    http://keseme.wordpress.com/category/stationery/mad-lib-rsvp/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Training to be the next companion.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_need-help-with-funny-wedding-invite-rsvp-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:eacd435a-8c53-4b1d-9936-c58223d2a50ePost:d2baa755-e48e-4e39-82c4-c76ffc9d750b">Re: Need Help with FUNNY wedding invite & RSVP wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not creative or helpful with this, but I love the idea! Everything I am reading about weddings is so proper, and I totally do not care. Its my wedding and I will do what I want. We have funny things planned for out ceremony and reception, but I did not think to make the invites funny as well... good for you!
    Posted by srudes[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>It's proper because it's one of the most important events of your life.  I wanted it to be treated as such and not be on the same level as a summer bbq or a birthday party.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Oh and the "it's all about me, I'll do what I want" is a wonderful attitude to have!  <rolls eyes> 

</div>
  • There's a reason the traditional wording works.

BUT, you can go creative with your wedding website.  
  • I'm a fan of traditional wording - but I'm bored, so here's a gif:

Simpsons Flying PIg
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Though I did end up having a more traditionally worded invitation, one of my original designs that I almost went with was based on my dad's response to my ventings about wedding invitations. He was like, "All you gotta say is, 'Gettin Married! Wanna Come?'" After scrapping hours and hours worth of invitation designs I'd been working on, I whipped out a design using this wording and some other silly illustrations and I seriously loved it. It finally felt like ME, and not all the voices of other people's opinions on how it needed to be. I'm a goofy weird person (a child at heart) and so is my fiance. While I didn't want my invitations to look overly silly, I did want them to reflect us. I mean, this is our one time ever ever ever that we get to celebrate our new marriage and be celebrated by all our loved ones. So there is no reason you shouldn't have fun with every aspect of your wedding. I am just not a serious, black on white in cursive, letterpressed sort of person. But those are beautiful, too...not hating on them! Anywho, since I ended up turning over the inviation design to my brother and his wife, both professional designers, they did have more traditional wording, but they were also freaking cute and colorful and happy, so I'm good. The point is, if you've even stayed long enough to read til now, I love that you guys want to make it funny and reflect yourselves and the HUGE PARTY vibe of your best day ever. I think perhaps you could incorporate your "when pigs fly" idea...oh dude...I just realized what you're up to with that pig roast! DUDE. Ok, so I'm slow. I don't know how far you want to stray from the traditional format, but if I were designing your invites based on what you've said I would probably have the traditional wording written down and then kind of go through it and twist it here and there. I think subtle humor can be some of the funniest, because people feel like they've discovered it on their own rather than wondering what kind of party they're about to accept this invite to. You know? They'll pat you on the back for your cleverness rather than cringing at the corniness. (Though I do love a good corny joke.) Gah, sorry I'm babbling on forever. I would use typography that maybe incorporates swirly 'serifs' reminiscent of pig's tails, phrases thrown in like 'hamming it up', rsvp options could be something like "Absolutely!" and "When Pigs Fly." Ok, that may not be great, but maybe that can give you some starting line? Good luck, don't let it stress you out too much! People's input can be great, but don't let it get to you and make you feel like you can't have the day you really want to have. :) You and your hubby-to-be are the important people to please! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards