April 2013 Weddings
Options

My ladies with anxiety.....

Do any of you also have migraines?  Seems that the closer I'm getting to the wedding, the more migraines I'm getting. Obviously, the OTC and most of the prescription migraine meds are out, since they contain caffeine.  What do you take/do for yours?

My doc prescribed Topamax, but it's not working.  I'm going back tomorrow to see if there are other options.  I've tried both heat and cool compresses, more sleep, lavender essential oils, and massage.  I even got permission to increase my anxiety meds to see if that helped - nope.  Nothing is working.

These headaches are SO bad they're waking me up during the night.  I'm nauseous and just an all around grouch. I can barely function and I have too much left to do to deal with this right now.  Any other ideas?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
RSVP Deadline: March 8th

Re: My ladies with anxiety.....

• Options
    Hmm. I don't have migraines, but I was prescribed Topamax (off label) for my anxiety because typical anxiety/depression meds made me worse.  Topamax worked like a charm for me but after a year or so I started losing hair and breaking out like crazy.  It took about 6 weeks for the Topamax to work for me though, how long have you been taking it?

I wish I had an answer for you - I know migraines are horrible.  I know so many people that miss work for them because they are so bad.

I had a friend that used Imitrex (spelling?) and that helped her - it was prescription.  Have you tried that?  I am not sure if it has caffeine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    110 Invited! image | 65 Have their dancing shoes ready! image | 35 Don't wanna dance. image | 10 Must still be looking for their dancing shoes! image
    RSVP Deadline: February 28th
  • Options
    My friend has the same exact deal you have, Chi.  She said to tell you about Bupap and to have you ask your doc about it.  She's allergic to caffeine b/c it triggers her migraines.  If she takes the Bupap as she feels one coming on, it decimates her pain but she feels kind of out of it.  I've noticed that she also tends to get migraines when she's really anxious and she is on meds for anxiety.  I took her to the emergency room back in mid-February for one.

Let me know if you have any more questions and I can have her send you a PM or reply on here if you'd like :-)  Feel better!!!
  • Options
    I have been on the Topamax a little more than a month.  I HATE when meds take so long to kick in - ugh!

I have never heard of Bupap.  I will do some research on it tonight.  I have an appt with the doc tomorrow and will definitely ask about it.  Hopefully my crappy insurance will cover it.  I don't mind feeling "out of it" because I've taken so many meds that make me feel that way, it's almost like I'm used to it.   I just need this headache to be GONE so I can get through these last couple of weeks.  After that, I don't care.

I've never had migraines go along with anxiety until the past month or two.  Hopefully, it's not a permanent thing.  Prior to this, I think I've had 5 migraines in my entire life.  I can totally do without them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My friend typically gets them every 2-3 months.  Her insurance didn't cover much of the Bupap prescription so she had to pay around $100 but they gave her enough pills to last her for about 3 years lol.  You could try seeing if they could break down the amount of pills they give you so it won't cost as much.  Let me know how it goes!
  • Options

I take Feverfew to help with migraines. It is an herbal remedy you can buy over the counter. I get bad migraines, too, and taking the Feverfew helps in preventing them, as well as making the ones I get more bearable. I know a few of my triggers, such as diet change and change of sleep patterns, but that's about it. I don't think I have food triggers because I have caffine all the time, chocolate and wine as well. It's frustrating not knowing what is causing one, and I've been getting these things since I was 8 or 9.

• Options
    Are you on birth control?  Once I stopped taking BC my migraines became less frequent and less severe.
  • Options
    No, I've never taken hormonal birth control.  I had a copper IUD for a while but it came out twice and I never had it put back in after the second time. 

OMG, I just want to take my head off and throw it at a wall!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am on prescription Imitrex.  I am not sure if it has caffeine though.  You can get a shot from the doctor which works way better than the pill form.  

I am taking Xanax for anxiety though.  Are you on something for that? Maybe if the anxiety goes down the migraines will slow down as well.

Feel Better!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh, I have terrible anxiety and migraines.  I am usually a 1x a month.  I agree, I am completely worthless when I have them, and they usually knock me out.  My doc suggested eliminating foods with a ton of preservatives and cheese.  I try.  It's called the Migraine Diet (http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/guide/food-related-headaches). I also have prescription Imitrex, as the OTC stuff doesn't do the job. 

Also-- make sure you take your migraine meds at the ONSET of the headache (you may be doing this already)- 

Have you ID your triggers?  I know mine are bad diet, lack of sleep, stress.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Why don't you do medicines with caffeine?  Are you worried about staying up?  You may want to figure out which is lesser of the 2 evils (migraine versus being awake), because caffeine does work well to treat migraines.
    photo Isbell-232_zpsdaf64dd5.jpg
  • Options
    Check with a herbal doc in your area: Feverfew worked for me. Had to take a certain amount (pill form) every morning and every night for two weeks, but no migraines by end of first week. Sleep much better now, too! In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_my-ladies-with-anxiety?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:41ea78cb-3b28-420f-8db3-3f3cd1ac50e4Post:3b472806-9b6d-424e-9857-317c65b88202">My ladies with anxiety.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do any of you also have migraines?  Seems that the closer I'm getting to the wedding, the more migraines I'm getting. Obviously, the OTC and most of the prescription migraine meds are out, since they contain caffeine.  What do you take/do for yours? My doc prescribed Topamax, but it's not working.  I'm going back tomorrow to see if there are other options.  I've tried both heat and cool compresses, more sleep, lavender essential oils, and massage.  I even got permission to increase my anxiety meds to see if that helped - nope.  Nothing is working. These headaches are SO bad they're waking me up during the night.  I'm nauseous and just an all around grouch. I can barely function and I have too much left to do to deal with this right now.  Any other ideas?
    Posted by ChiGirl2013[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_my-ladies-with-anxiety?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:41ea78cb-3b28-420f-8db3-3f3cd1ac50e4Post:975b8119-e7b2-4924-a50b-d6997f668d01">Re: My ladies with anxiety.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why don't you do medicines with caffeine?  Are you worried about staying up?  You may want to figure out which is lesser of the 2 evils (migraine versus being awake), because caffeine does work well to treat migraines.
    Posted by Lauren+Aaron[/QUOTE]

Not sure about OP but for a lot of people, caffeine triggers migraines.  If one of my BMs(the one on Bupap) has a chocolate bar, for instance, she's in bed for the next 3-4 days hiding out from the world :-/
  • Options
    No, I can't have caffeine because I have a heart arrythmia and caffeine tends to trigger it.  Arrythmias can be rather scary (I got my heart rate all the way up to 266 once) and I'd really rather avoid anything that can trigger them.

Xanax didn't work for my anxiety but I take a daily dose of clonazepam.  I don't really know what my migraine triggers are yet.  I had 1 migraine at the beginning of high school, 1 right after I graduated college, and then I had one for about 2 weeks straight in January that broke after a week on Topamax, and now this one.  They gave me a shot of Toradol in the doc's office (long shot since it's really a pain med, but it worked) and the Imitrex.  So far, I'm migraine-free but I still feel like there's a helium balloon about to burst in my head.  Supposedly, my nose, ears, etc are all clear, though.  I'm chalking it up to stress and counting down the days until the wedding is over and praying that will make it go away.  I'm relying on the extra dose of clonazepam that I'm allowed to take more than I'd like but I'll do anything to get through the next 2.5 weeks at this point!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards