Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Reception on a yacht

Hello all,

My fiancée and I are torn between destination wedding or possibly a reception on a yacht. Our guest list is close to 300 anyone have any experience with either or any advice they want to share? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nicole

Re: Reception on a yacht

• Options
    If I was invited to a reception on a yacht, I would decline.  I get seasick and spending the night drinking and eating on a boat would just be my nightmare.  My cousins are actually have their rehearsal dinner on a boat and my husband is going while I immediately declined.  If you have other seasickers on your guest list, you might be forcing their hand at declining your wedding.

My husband and I had a destination wedding.   I loved everything about it.
  • Options
    Joy, I hear you on the seasick aspect... Believe it or not I actually get seasick but more on smaller boats. Our other thought is a destination wedding. I'm really back and forth because if we have it here on Long Island the guest count is almost 300 so to possibly lower cost and stress we are considering destination. Can I ask where you had yours? And thanks for your response : Nicole
  • Options
    Our destination wedding was in Bermuda and we had twelve guests (our parents and siblings + spouses).  It was low stress.  We picked a classy hotel that did weddings so it came with a coordinator.  She did everything from booking the music, officiant, flowers to making menus for our four course dinner on the beach.  I didn't have to research a thing!  It was much more of relaxing vacation than anything else.

All the info for our wedding is in my married bio (link in siggy).

Good luck deciding!
  • Options
    You're thinking about inviting 300 people to a DW?
  • Options
    Our guest list is around 300 so I thought we still would need to invite all the same people as if we were having it locally. We don't expect all of them to come and we were contemplating doing something small for those that wouldn't be able to come. To be honest I feel like I'm all over the place with ideas which is why all of your feedback is helping
  • Options
    Honestly, I see a 300 person DW as a total gift grab. How many of them do you think will honestly attend and spend that much money to see you get married? You do not need to have the same guest list if it isn't local, mine would be scaled back a lot.

If you have a party after your DW, it's not a reception. No do over ceremony or big white dress. Treat it like any other party since the boat has sailed (yacht wedding haha!) on having the spotlight dances and cake cutting.
  • Options
    Whatever you do, DO NOT count on people not attending.   I've seen quite a few 150-200+ DW in St Thomas.  Most of the time the couple planned well.  Sometimes the couple "only expected 60 to show" and they were struggling at the last minute trying to afford  their wedding.  Sometimes the plans had to be completely changed only a month out.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I hear what you guys are saying about the guest count and I have to say I'm not totally convinced I want the destination wedding. The biggest thing to me is the church, always has been everything else I'm 100 open to untraditional ideas.
  • Options
    I went to a wedding on a boat once.  It was okay, nothing spectacular.  The food was so so.  There was not an adequate dance floor space so after dinner they took out half the tables so people could dance.  It was also shorter than your traditional ceremony/reception.  The whole thing was over by 9 I think.  The room the functon was in was also too small for the amount of people invited so even dinner was tight.  
  • Options
    If the Church is most important to you, then it sounds like you should marry locally (I'm assuming you mean you want to marry in your own church). If you are not gung ho about the DW, I would skip it. You can always travel to an exotic destination for your HM.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, keeping all the advice and opinion in my mind when trying to figure out these decisions
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-on-a-yacht?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:ab0ab659-d20e-44da-8d47-4169802891c6Post:1cd4d1ad-03f4-4ba2-8fc1-39a47f937b80">Re: Reception on a yacht</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to a wedding on a boat once.  It was okay, nothing spectacular.  The food was so so.  There was not an adequate dance floor space so after dinner they took out half the tables so people could dance.  It was also shorter than your traditional ceremony/reception.  The whole thing was over by 9 I think.  The room the functon was in was also too small for the amount of people invited so even dinner was tight.  
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]

<div>Do you happen to remember the name of the ship or location. maybe I can scratch this one off the list to look at.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards