Honeymoon Discussions

Cancun is too busy for me-any other Mexico area recommendations?

We have been to a travel agent before and all they keep sending us is packages to Cancun! We've told them it's not what we had in mind for our honeymoon. Yes, we want a beach and our main thing we want to do is relax, but Cancun just seems too busy for us. The AI resorts all seems on the same stretch of beach and don't look relaxing....they look overcrowded and busy. We wanted to be somewhere quiet and adults only and all inclusive. A romantic, relaxing honeymoon. 

We're thinking of switching travel agents and already made an appointment with a different one for next week but I wanted to go there and bring up some other areas we'd be interested in that aren't Cancun. Our other travel agent said our budget of $2,500 total wouldn't fit with the Carribean/Jamaica and we're fine with Mexico, but just a more laid-back area. Any suggestions?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cancun is too busy for me-any other Mexico area recommendations?

• The only part of Cancun that would be possibly "busy" is the strip right downtown. Most of the AIs that girls on here have visited are part of the Riviera Maya area which is south of Cancun. The RM stretches about 30-45 south of downtown and most resorts are secluded enough that you do not know there is another one next door (if there is one.) I think your agent is probably saying Cancun because that is where you have to fly in to, but it's probably a mix of Cancun and the RM. I'd check out the resorts she is quoting a bit more to be sure. I know I personally say Cancun when referring to the RM because of the airport thing!

• I pretty much agree with Jells 100%. Your Travel Agent has probably sent you a few in the Riviera Maya region south of Cancun but you keep seeing that you are flying into Cancun and turn it down.

We stayed in Playa Del Carmen which is about an hour south of Cancun. We did fly into Cancun though. It was absolutely gorgeous. We were technically in town so it wasn't completely quiet but I liked it because it was easy for us to get everywhere. But it was still super relaxing and calm.

What resorts did she send you information on?

• You girls are right, some of the resorts are in Riviera Maya. We wanted to just stay at a resort that had everything to offer and aren't really interested in leaving the resort so we really just wanted peace and quiet to relax.

Some resorts she has sent us are:

Now Jade
    Zoetry
    Iberostar Parisio Lindo (not the Grand one, this resort seemed more family oriented)
    ME Cancun in Cancun
    Secrets the Vine Cancun
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not sure how long you were looking to go, but I would think Zoetry would be out of budget, as it's very high end. However, if the quote your agent gave you is within budget, the Zoetry would be right up your alley for peace and quiet. I'd also check out Secrets Capri. Secrets the Vine is right on the main hotel strip in Cancun. Secrets Maroma is also nice, but it does tend to be more expensive than Capri. Again, not knowing how many nights you are staying, I'm hesitant to even recommend these as I know most girls on here, including myself, spend $3500-$4500 on trips to these resorts for a week.

I'd also look into Couples Tower Isle or Sans Souci in Jamaica. I think it would fit your budget if Secrets did. Tower Isle and Sans Souci are a little less expensive than Negril or Swept Away.

• Have you looked into Cabo? They have some great resorts, and the area is safe as well.
  • Thanks ladies! When we meet with our (new) travel agent I'll mention the above places and keep you updated. Thanks for the advice :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good luck! Come back and let us know where the new one recommends. :-)

• I have stayed at Iberostar Pariso Lindo and would NOT recommend it (you're right, the GRAND is adults only, and it's much much nicer).
  • I absolutely fell in love with Puerto Vallarta. If you are looking for calm caribbean water and huge all inclusives it is definately not for you but if you want something a little more "old world" style with mountains, rocky coastline, quant boutiques and amazing food I would look into it. I feel like I left a piece of my soul there.
  • Okay, just got back from the travel agent and we're now deciding between Secrets Silversands and Secret Maroma. Both are in Riviera Maya, but we can get a better view and price at Silversands so I'm leaning toward that one!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cancun-is-too-busy-for-me-any-other-mexico-area-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:7971bc55-2888-4f36-b495-0cca10c448aePost:b4573426-b25c-403c-816f-fdfd44b316d8">Re: Cancun is too busy for me-any other Mexico area recommendations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, just got back from the travel agent and we're now deciding between Secrets Silversands and Secret Maroma. Both are in Riviera Maya, but we can get a better view and price at Silversands so I'm leaning toward that one!
    Posted by 6512Weaver[/QUOTE]

They are two very different resorts. I have been to both and highly preferred Maroma. It's a bit more laid back and has more of a romantic feel. Silversands is nice, but has a much more active vibe and is focused a bit more on activity than intimacy. Maroma has the better beach, but it's also one of the best beaches in the world, so it's hard to beat it! Secrets properties are great, though, overall.

• Thanks Jells! Do you have any advice on Secrets Capri?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have not been to Capri, but have definitely looked into it. Capri is all preferred club, so you get the preferred club extras no matter what room category you book! It's also a smaller property than the others. Capri is a little bit further down the road from Maroma, so I think it's about 30-35 minutes from the airport.

• Thanks! I'm off work today so really researching both resorts now :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My new husband and I just returned from our honeymoon in Riviera Maya 9 days ago. Riviera Maya is not overcrowded and noisy like Cancun. Most of the hotels your agent recommended are NOT adults only. We stayed at Secrets Silversands and did not have a good experience, so we moved to Secrets Maroma. It was worth the extra money! The beach at Maroma is so clean and white and even the water is more beautiful. The resort is pretty low key, classic Mexican charm with a luxurious feel. The food was wonderful, drinks high end and the staff fabulous - but it isn't a stuffy resort. And they don't constantly try to sell you other things like they do at Silversands.<strong> We would go back to Secrets Maroma in a heartbeat!</strong> Wherever you go, pay up for an adults only resort and pay extra for direct transfers so you get from airport to resort as quickly as possible. And even though they say no tips at the all inclusive resorts, bring some cash with you - mainly 1's and a few 5's. The workers really appreciate the extra money - it means a lot to them and a few dollars isn't much to us in comparison. Good Luck and enjoy!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cancun-is-too-busy-for-me-any-other-mexico-area-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:7971bc55-2888-4f36-b495-0cca10c448aePost:413feee4-1547-4354-ac80-6e0cd1229789">Re: Cancun is too busy for me-any other Mexico area recommendations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You girls are right, some of the resorts are in Riviera Maya. We wanted to just stay at a resort that had everything to offer and aren't really interested in leaving the resort so we really just wanted peace and quiet to relax. Some resorts she has sent us are: Now Jade Zoetry Iberostar Parisio Lindo (not the Grand one, this resort seemed more family oriented) ME Cancun in Cancun Secrets the Vine Cancun
  • I just returned from there and all I can say is NO! We switched to Secrets Maroma half way through our honeymoon and it was worth every extra penny!

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cancun-is-too-busy-for-me-any-other-mexico-area-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:7971bc55-2888-4f36-b495-0cca10c448aePost:b4573426-b25c-403c-816f-fdfd44b316d8">Re: Cancun is too busy for me-any other Mexico area recommendations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, just got back from the travel agent and we're now deciding between Secrets Silversands and Secret Maroma. Both are in Riviera Maya, but we can get a better view and price at Silversands so I'm leaning toward that one!
  • I just returned from there and all I can say is NO! We switched to Secrets Maroma half way through our honeymoon and it was worth every extra penny!

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cancun-is-too-busy-for-me-any-other-mexico-area-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:7971bc55-2888-4f36-b495-0cca10c448aePost:b4573426-b25c-403c-816f-fdfd44b316d8">Re: Cancun is too busy for me-any other Mexico area recommendations?</a>:
  • On the same level of Secrets is Excellence resorts. Try looking at Excellence in Playa Mujeres which is 30 minutes north of Cancun.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards