October 2014 Weddings

Dry v. Non-Dry Reception Help

My fiance and I will be getting married in a couple of years. Both of us don't drink but our familes do. We'll be having our ceremony at the church that we both go to, and we're also thinking about having our reception there. It would be a very spacious place, and we would be able to decorate it how we want for a lower price since we go to the church. However, since it is a church, there can't be any alcohol at the reception. I don't know what to do. I want our guests to be able to have fun and enjoy themselves, but my fiance thinks that since this is ourwedding, we don't have to provide alcohol. It would save us money and just make sense because we don't drink. I guess I just really want to avoid having a boring reception. We're a young couple, so I want it to be really fun! What do you guys think? Any pointers, tips, or advice? Thank you and best of luck to each of you while planning your wedding! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dry v. Non-Dry Reception Help

• You dont need alcohol to have fun. Having alcohol was an issue with my fi and i because no one in either of our families really drink a few beers every now and then mostly but were also having younger people there as well. I told him if the venue didn't include an open bar than wed just have to do without which he wasn't ok with but we cant afford to pay otherwise. We were lucky enough to find a venue that included open bar but its not something you should worry about. Its your wedding and im sure your guests wont be upset if there's no alcohol. A good time can be had by all without it. You can always have an 'afterparty' some where like a bar or hotel where there can be alcohol too. The few weddings I've been to this year alone have done that and its always been a hit.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2014-weddings_dry-v-non-dry-reception-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:b65bfbe8-5f94-4b5f-8c03-c96f91929372Discussion:a190f5e0-8b8e-44be-9b61-0110feedc34aPost:14659596-6d79-4472-8a53-d085299c19e8">Re:Dry v. NonDry Reception Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]You dont need alcohol to have fun. Having alcohol was an issue with my fi and i because no one in either of our families really drink a few beers every now and then mostly but were also having younger people there as well. I told him if the venue didn't include an open bar than wed just have to do without which he wasn't ok with but we cant afford to pay otherwise. We were lucky enough to find a venue that included open bar but its not something you should worry about. Its your wedding and im sure your guests wont be upset if there's no alcohol. A good time can be had by all without it. You can always have an 'afterparty' some where like a bar or hotel where there can be alcohol too. The few weddings I've been to this year alone have done that and its always been a hit.
    Posted by nmsterni914[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks for your help, that's a good idea!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you have alcohol or not that is completely up to you (and your budget). But my sister had a dry wedding (and our family has a lot of drinkers) and many of the guests did a VERY tacky thing and bought coolers with beer and drank in the parking lot. This really upset my sister. The party also broke up really early and when I left there were still people in the parking lot. I think you have to think about your guests and how they'll act. 

If you can't aford a full bar maybe think about just beer and wine? Like I said it's YOUR day! You do what you want! Good luck! 
  • I agree, I love alcohol but sometimes it's best to enjoy the moment while sober, instead of leaned over a toilet all night. I would indicate that the reception will be dry to prevent anyone being majorly disappointed. And since your family and friends partake in alcohol consumption, maybe ask one of them to either host an after party or maybe plan on heading to a classy bar afterwards to keep the spirits pun intended up. In that case maybe the reception could be cut short, saving money as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards