Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Imagine this food restriction on your RSVP card

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/teen-s-strange-ramen-addiction--165713286.html

CN: For the last 13 years the only food she has consumed is ramen noddles. Surprised

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: Imagine this food restriction on your RSVP card

• Options
    What kind of idiot parent enables that?  When she was little she would have eaten something else if there were no ramen noodles.

Sign me one of the pickiest eaters you may know.
  • Options
    WTH were her parent's thinking??  My eldest DD, when she was 5, went through a chicken nugget and carrots only phase, but I'd only allow her a couple of nuggets AFTER she ate whatever else I cooked.  She outgrew the chicken nuggets phase.

This kid needs to be hospitalized and taught better food habits...maybe like they do for anorexics. 
  • Options
    Uhhhh.... how does that even happen?! This should not be a point of pride for her and her mother just continues to enable detrimental behavior. Oy.

• Options
    People are crazy. I plan meetings and we always ask clients for any food restrictions we should be aware of, and once a guy requested that we order thin crust vs thick crust pizza because he was on a diet. Really dude!?! Manage your own diet by having one piece instead of two, or whatever.
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

• Options
    I use to complain to my parents because they are not very adventurous eaters.   Hence my siblings and I really are not either (although I much better than they are).   This is just ridiculous.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    That's so sad...
  • Options
    She's only had ramen?

Shouldn't she have scurvy??
  • Options
    "
    Readman could not be reached for comment but according to her doctors, she is malnourished and has the health of an 80 year old."
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_imagine-this-food-restriction-on-your-rsvp-card?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:106b147a-604d-465f-ae5a-2cc6e9998d12Post:654d2454-6851-4c1c-94e7-6dcf3b8f9c6c">Re: Imagine this food restriction on your RSVP card</a>:
    [QUOTE]"I'm dying young!" happily boasts the developmentally stunted teenager. You know, I try not to judge parents. It's super easy for me to be parent of the year when I don't have any kids of my own, and parents have it rough. But how alarmingly stupid do you have to be to screw up parenting this badly? Your kid doesn't like fruits and veggies? Get crafty; blend kale in the prego, make smoothies, mash it in their meatballs, I don't care. If you can't just tell your kid to sit down and eat their food, move to bargaining and subterfuge. Kids aren't good at keeping themselves alive, and as a parent, that's Rule #1.
    Posted by Harry87[/QUOTE]

<div>I have a similar problem with the people I work for. "Oh, DD will only drink chocolate milk or juice." Then she complains that DD doesn't sleep well enough at night (meaning she won't sleep from 8pm to 8am, which is unlikely for any three year old). Instead of limiting the number of sugar-laden drinks and offering water, she wants ME to cut back on her naptime. </div><div>
    </div><div>I've started giving her a cup of water every morning, and she gets nothing else to drink until she finishes it. I'm a terrible person.</div>
  • Options
    Stories like this make me so sad. I don't like to get up on a soapbox about nutrition and parenting but this is just so awful. The poor girl is probably going to die in her 20s :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    how awful for her!

My daughter has never met a food that she didn't like and is fit and slim.

A 4 year old ordering escargot does get a double take sometimes though
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_imagine-this-food-restriction-on-your-rsvp-card?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:106b147a-604d-465f-ae5a-2cc6e9998d12Post:59b9fe3d-5076-443d-a59a-224baf3fe2c3">Imagine this food restriction on your RSVP card</a>:
    [QUOTE]<a href="http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/teen-s-strange-ramen-addiction--165713286.html" rel="nofollow">http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/teen-s-strange-ramen-addiction--165713286.html</a> CN: For the last 13 years the only food she has consumed is ramen noddles. 
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

<div>I blame the parents.  </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_imagine-this-food-restriction-on-your-rsvp-card?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:106b147a-604d-465f-ae5a-2cc6e9998d12Post:21a2fbe3-3784-4b38-9cc2-792c456719d4">Re: Imagine this food restriction on your RSVP card</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had a friend with a similar diet to that (except she only ate pizza and chicken nuggets) she also couldn't cut her hair and had a few other eccentricities.  <strong>These were all the result of a psychological condition; not poor parenting or stupidity</strong>. I know people like this are easy to gawk at, but think before you judge. 
    Posted by HoorayForSoup[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree it's is likely the result of a psychogical condition.  Ever the more reason the parents should have gotten help for their daughter long before now.  </div>

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_imagine-this-food-restriction-on-your-rsvp-card?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:106b147a-604d-465f-ae5a-2cc6e9998d12Post:a2f08fde-14ab-4173-9f35-032927602676">Re: Imagine this food restriction on your RSVP card</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Imagine this food restriction on your RSVP card : I agree it's is likely the result of a psychogical condition.  Ever the more reason the parents should have gotten help for their daughter long before now.  
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking. I really don't understand how she's still alive.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    How is she not sick of ramen noodles? The four years I was in university and would occasionally have ramen noodles was enough for me. The thought of those noodles now just makes me sick. And I consider myself a very picky eater.
    Poor thing though, she probably won't live that long if she keeps eating just ramen noodles.
    Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

• Options
    There's a show about this, I think it's called Freaky Eaters. It's on Netflix. There were people who only ate fries, would only eat raw meat, someone who snacked on cornstarch. People are weird. 
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Ewe! I can't imagine eating that every day! Lol, sure makes for a significantly cheap meal option! Lol! I can't believe that her family supports her unhealthy eating habit, but hey to each their own.
  • Options
    I can't wait till all of you guys become parents, and then someone posts your childs eating habits on a wedding planning website. Being a parent isn't easy, but its even more difficult to not judge someone's parenting stkills.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards