Flowers

Sentimental but cheap fake flower for bouquet?

My FI bought me a big fake flower a few years ago for my time in the Netherlands (I used it to identify my bike again the millions of bikes there by wrapping it around my handlebars).  It is light blue, which happens to be my wedding colours, and I had this brilliant idea that, since I only want a single flower for my own bouquet and have no other flowers at the wedding, I could use this as my bouquet.  I think it would be really sweet, and my FI would probably love it, but I sometimes tend to be a little tacky.  So opinions?  Tacky or sweet?

Re: Sentimental but cheap fake flower for bouquet?

• I'd do it but I'm weird like that. My fiance has so few things that he'd like to see at our wedding that if something makes him happy, I'm doing it.
    If you sometimes tend to be tacky (let's call it unique, fun or creative!) your guests know that about you and wouldn't think it odd at all.
  • Good advice - thanks!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_sentimental-but-cheap-fake-flower-for-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:1ca839e8-51bf-4c0a-b2ac-29452cb1b938Post:92866496-2fa8-4396-baaa-a4ef8a37e7aa">Sentimental but cheap fake flower for bouquet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI bought me a big fake flower a few years ago for my time in the Netherlands (I used it to identify my bike again the millions of bikes there by wrapping it around my handlebars).  It is light blue, which happens to be my wedding colours, and I had this brilliant idea that, since I only want a single flower for my own bouquet and have no other flowers at the wedding, I could use this as my bouquet.  I think it would be really sweet, and my FI would probably love it, but I sometimes tend to be a little tacky.  So opinions?  Tacky or sweet?
    Posted by kerbohl[/QUOTE]

<div>So you'd be carrying one single fake flower?  Personally, I wouldn't do it.  Most people probably wouldn't get the reference and wonder why you're carrying just one fake flower.</div><div>
    </div><div>I do like the sentimentality behind it and would instead incorporate that flower into a bouquet.  Doesn't have to be big or real....but just look a bit more....normal.</div>
  • Can you find that flower "live" and make it a bouquet?  Depending on the size one flower may look too small, but a bunch could be pretty.

Also, if you go with your original plan I suggest buying a new flower (if you weren't already).  I can only imagine the condition of the original if it was exposed to the elements for long periods of time.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_sentimental-but-cheap-fake-flower-for-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:1ca839e8-51bf-4c0a-b2ac-29452cb1b938Post:ff30249f-d65f-4eb1-b04e-ca7a62970823">Re: Sentimental but cheap fake flower for bouquet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can you find that flower "live" and make it a bouquet?  Depending on the size one flower may look too small, but a bunch could be pretty. Also, if you go with your original plan I suggest buying a new flower (if you weren't already).  I can only imagine the condition of the original if it was exposed to the elements for long periods of time.
    Posted by AprilH81[/QUOTE]

It is starting to look a little weathered, but I was thinking of wrapping a white ribbon around the stem to hide that a bit and make it look pretty.
    It is a really big flower - bigger than my hand.  If I was going to do a bouquet with real flowers, I was just going to carry one flower.  I might be able to find a real one that looks like it - I think a dhalia would be the closest - but then the sentimental reference would be gone (My FI isn't that observant, and I think he would only notice if it was the actual flower, not a flower that looks like it). 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_sentimental-but-cheap-fake-flower-for-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:1ca839e8-51bf-4c0a-b2ac-29452cb1b938Post:99c258de-a442-41af-ab7f-5de99a1f53a3">Re: Sentimental but cheap fake flower for bouquet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Sentimental but cheap fake flower for bouquet? : So you'd be carrying one single fake flower?  Personally, I wouldn't do it.  Most people probably wouldn't get the reference and wonder why you're carrying just one fake flower. I do like the sentimentality behind it and would instead incorporate that flower into a bouquet.  Doesn't have to be big or real....but just look a bit more....normal.
    Posted by JoanE2012[/QUOTE]

I know that some people wouldn't get the reference, but I could mention it when people ask (and if they are really curious, my relatives are the type that would ask).  Really, I would be doing it to make FI happy, and I think he would really like it.  I'm not really a big flower person, so I don't mind carrying a single fake flower.  I think it is too big to try to incorporate into a bouquet. 
    I'm still thinking about it - I've got lots of time to decide.  And who knows - people stole something off my bike over the weekend, so my sentimental flower might not even make it to the wedding if some other Dutch person takes a fancy to it. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_sentimental-but-cheap-fake-flower-for-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:1ca839e8-51bf-4c0a-b2ac-29452cb1b938Post:425a47a3-22b6-47db-b617-7417c06e3c89">Re: Sentimental but cheap fake flower for bouquet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sentimental but cheap fake flower for bouquet? : <strong>I know that some people wouldn't get the reference, but I could mention it when people ask</strong> (and if they are really curious, my relatives are the type that would ask).  Really, I would be doing it to make FI happy, and I think he would really like it.  I'm not really a big flower person, so I don't mind carrying a single fake flower.  I think it is too big to try to incorporate into a bouquet.  I'm still thinking about it - I've got lots of time to decide.  And who knows - people stole something off my bike over the weekend, so my sentimental flower might not even make it to the wedding if some other Dutch person takes a fancy to it. 
    Posted by kerbohl[/QUOTE]

<div>Me personally?  I would never ask.  I would think....awww, she couldn't afford a bouquet.  I'm not going to embarrass you more by asking why you're carrying one single fake flower.  </div><div>Like you mentioned, you have time......try out a few options and see what works best for you.  Good luck!  </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards