Texas-San Antonio

Inexpensive Rehearsal Dinner near Riverwalk?

I'm torn about what to do for rehearsal.  At least half+ of my guests with be out of town or immediate family.  In my family, I've traditionally been invited to rehearsal dinners (often only wine/beer and appetizer buffet) if I were an OOT guest, so I'd like to extend the same courtesy.

My problem is that most are staying on the Riverwalk and won't be renting cars b/c they can walk to church (La Villita) and I'm providing transport to reception (OSFS Crystal Room).  

Seems any place along the Riverwalk wants around $25/head to start with private dining.  This would start to cost about the price of my reception which is not possible for me.   Paying for transport to cheaper place off Riverwalk doubles cost and brings it back up to Riverwalk prices.

Any venues near Riverwalk where we could bring own food (Texas Pride BBQ!)?  Or place that will do reasonable catering buffet? ie. under $20ish for appetizer buffet and maybe a little wine.  

Thanks!

Re: Inexpensive Rehearsal Dinner near Riverwalk?

• edited December 2011
    Maybe try calling around? The Hard Rock, Paesanos, and most sea food places are going to be a wee-bit pricy. Maybe Lonestar Cafe? We ate there on our one year this past weekend and had nachos and they were amazing (so it was a midnight snack!).

I'm not 100% familiar with the River Walk, but maybe call a few places you've been eyeing and see what kind of offers they will give you.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so glad you posted this because I was about to start this topic on the Board as well.  So far, I've checked with Iron Cactus, Mi Tierra, Landry's, and Texas de Brazil.  Not all have returned my phone calls or sent the promised menus.

Iron Cactus -- to rent their room, they want a $200 room rental fee for the Agave Room or upstairs room.  The Agave room has a minimum food/beverage of $1500!!!!! (RIdiculous...especially since their plates only cost $10-20 regularly)  The upstairs room only had a $1000.00 minimum, I believe, plus the rental room fee....so crazy $$$$

Landry's--hasn't called me back.  I just figured if we may have to spend $1700 for dinner on the Riverwalk, it might as well be at a classy restaurant!

Mi Tierra-- to rent a private room (Patio or Mariachi Bar) there is a $250. room rental fee.  They didn't quote me a minimum food/beverage to meet, but do require a deposit of $5/per person payable ASAP in order to reserve the room.  They upcharge the food...again, typically, their entrees are $10-20 but for the "banquet" rate, it's raised to $23-40/pp, but it does include tea, appetizer, entree, and dessert.  Other beverages are additional.

Does anyone have any other input or numbers to crunch???  Are there any public parks nearby?  I'm tempted to grab a few family brisket dinners from Bill Miller's and hang out at Brackenridge Park for the dinner!!! 
  • edited December 2011
    Cont. Texas de Brazil returned my call but hasn't emailed me the menu.  Judging from the trends I've seen, I fear the upcharge their menu will be.

Also, I have to eat Gluten free, which is why i was hoping Iron Cactus would work out, because they offer a GF menu.  It is the safest place for me to eat on the Riverwalk and is right around the corner from our church, St. Mary's.  So, hopefully noone else has an allergy to factor into this dilemna. Surprised  

• edited December 2011
    Glad (?) to hear I'm not alone here...though I suppose it makes the problem legitimate without a quick solution someone knows of.  

I agree that the 'find a location' to bring in food is the best option, but difficult in this area.  Another option I'm looking at is getting a hospitality suite at a Riverwalk hotel (my sister works at Hyatt, and is checking on a discount).  As it's just a hotel room, albeit very large with bedrooms, kitchen, large dinner table, lounge, etc it's similar to having a dinner party at a house.  We'd then bring in Texas Pride or equivalent for the OOTers to enjoy good BBQ.  Since it's the hotel guests would be at, it would be as informal as meet in Room XYZ around 8pm for BBQ and drinks.  Hoping that even with the higher room charge for the night, it would still be much cheaper than the unjustified upcharges.  My sis also has to check if there are any rules at the hotel that could get us in trouble for bringing in outside food to a hospitality suite or having lots of people in a room...if they found out.  My family is not overly formal, and will all just be happy to be seeing each other and enjoying some local grub while they catch up in a place convenient to their hotel since they'll have all just flown in.  And I want to provide that environment for them without breaking the budget.  

Mary

• edited December 2011
    Have you looked into Casa Rio. The plates are pretty cheap for dinner...but I don't know what it would be like for a group!
  • edited December 2011
    Just emailed Casa Rio - thanks for the tip!  I hate when they don't list prices online b/c of all the extra work it requires individually emailing/calling everyone just to have them be out of the price range and unwilling to negotiate. 
    Mary
  • edited December 2011
    Received info from Casa Rio...thanks for the tip!

For the other bride in this dilemma, Casa Rio has good size rooms and no room charge.  Their dinner prices are 17.50-29.75 (most on the low end of that).  Good news - this INCLUDES tax and gratuity.  Bad - it doesn't includes any extras like appetizers, dessert, or soda ($2pp). 

You can bring in own desser however for only 50 cents pp.  Would probably be best to grab a Tres Leches cake somewhere. 

I'm going to seriously consider this option.  The food is nothing to write home about it but it's adequate, edible, perfect location, and good atmosphere.

Thank you!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the info about Casa Rio!!!  This looks like a much more reasonable option.  I will contact them tomorrow. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Mexican Manhattan is a little more unknown place but has great food and a great patio part area for rehearsal dinners that is reasonably priced. I can't remember how much, but i know it wasn't bad.
  • savvy89savvy89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks I so needed help with this one I'm getting married on the riverwalk on the island so I have been looking like crazy! :)
  • The Iron Cactus is also an inexpensive place for our rehearsal dinner.  It's located right on the river walk and is upscale Mexican food.

They also have a location in Dallas and Austin.  Which I've tried personall. 
  • Anyone have any suggestions that AREN'T mexican food?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards