Pre-wedding Parties

Co-ed Wedding Shower?

Hi there, 

I just had a lunch date with my cousin, who has graciously offered to host a wedding shower for us, and she decided on a co-ed/couples shower. I'm kind of a noob about the topic, so I had some questions regarding the guest list. 

I would like to keep it on the smaller side, so the list consists of FI and my siblings, cousins, and their SO's. As well as a few close married friends, and our parents. 10 couples, give or take.

I was wondering about the bridal party - do they all get invited to this kind of thing? It turns out everyone (minus a cousin) has a serious SO or is married. But we do have some single bridesmaids and groomsmen and I don't want them to be uncomfortable. I'm thinking I'll just invite them and let them know they can bring a date if they like, would that work? 

It will be outdoor at a park, doing some grilling, lawn games, etc. But there may a few couple-oriented games and I just don't want anyone to feel weird. Do you think it'll be okay since they're all adults and are welcome to bring dates?

Just fyi: there will be an all-ladies (aka girly) shower as well, hosted by FI's side of the family. The bridesmaids will be invited to that one.

Thanks for your advice. :)

Re: Co-ed Wedding Shower?

• I definitely think the invitation should be extended to your BP members who are single. I'm not sure if I were a single BM that I would bring a date, but I would attend! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • a "couples" shower does not necessarily mean you have to be in a couple in order to attend.  I went to a "couples shower" a few years ago and it basically just had a mixture of bride and groom family and friends, so it was co-ed.  There were other singles.  When I was single, I would have been super sad if I wasn't invited to my best friends shower because I was single.  Invite who would want to invite and let the individual decide if they want to go or not.  To me, couples simply means co-ed.  The event was more "engagement party" like and a pre-party leading up the wedding a few weeks later.  It was a fun BBQ/pool party type setting.  The guys BBQ's, we swam, hot tubbed, drank--itwas fun like any other party we would have been at together.  Not once did I feel like poor me, I'm single.     

Anniversary
  • A couple shower doesn't mean that you have to be a part of a couple in order to attend. Couple shower just means that men and women will be attending, not that you have to be in a couple. Things like couples games will make those single people feel like outsiders. I mean, it's great that you're in a relationship, but how would you feel if you were left out of party games just because you didn't have a significant other or he/she was out of town that day? It sucks, man.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards