Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Serve 2 cuisines???

We are having two cuisines at the reception.  I'm Indian and my fiance is American and want to have both cuisines at the wedding.  Traditionally, Indian receptions are done buffet style which I don't mind doing.  But since we are having American food and Indian food, I'm not sure how to do this buffet style for about 200 people while being on a tight budget and not wasting food.  Any suggestions??

Re: Serve 2 cuisines???

• Options
    I like Indian food personally but I think a lot of people are hesitant to try it as there are a lot of strong flavors.  Are your sides even?  I mean, do you have an equal amount of guests who are Indian and American?  I'd almost say to have less Indian food so that you don't have left overs, but I'm not a caterer so I'm not sure how that would work.  
  • Options
    Talk to you caterer.  They will have done these equations before.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    We are in the same situation- I am American and my fiance is Indian.  I originally wanted to do a buffet with both American and Indian foods, but it became too complicated (for me at least) to try to find a caterer that could do both Indian and American food well (most will tell you they can, but we didn't always find that to be the case).  I also struggled with trying to figure out what American/Indian foods we could mix and match to would go well with each other instead of doing a full Indian meal and a full American meal. So we ended up going with an Indian caterer and doing all Indian food, but some of it is more "Americanized".  They are easing up on some of the flavors/spices for the dishes.  Our caterer is working with us on every detail of the menu to make sure that it is not too spicy and they are willing to try different things.  We are having lots of appetizers with different flavors and chicken, lamb, and vegetarian options for the buffet so I think there should be something for everybody.  I'm actually excited that it is not the typical wedding menu that my family is used to.  We are also going to make detailed cards to put with each item on the buffet, explaining what it is.        
  • Options
    I love Indian food! We had vegan Asian cuisine at our reception and everyone loved it. We just made sure that there was a good variety, with some spicy dishes and some mild. We followed up with cheesecake and cupcakes. 
  • Options

I think having two types of cuisine is a really nice idea. It sort of shows two cultures coming together. And many people are hesitate about the idea of Indian food. ( They are missing out). Also the American side would be great for the kids. The tricky part maybe finding a caterer who can do both and well. I would be worried about having to separate sides/tables for the food because when people are in line to eat they may not realize that there is another table with completely different food.

• Options
    i would pick 3 side dishes from american 3 side dishes from indian 2 american meets and 2 indian meat dishes that might work out for you if you find specific indian food you like and maybe someone in the family that has the recpies for the indian food and can share them with the cater that might help you 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards