Pre-wedding Parties

Housewarming or bridal shower?

I need help on this please! We got engaged in May 2012 and we had our engagement party in August 2012. We still haven't started planning the wedding but we are thinking of late 2014. We currently live at his parents house I know it's not traditional but due to other circumstances I had to move in with him before marriage and we really want to start looking for an apartment. We will most likely move out this summer. I am not sure if to have a bridal shower or host a house warming party. I really want my maids to host me a bridal shower I think it's part of the whole pre wedding parties tradition but as I said before there is no wedding date yet. So my question is should I host a housewarming party or a bridal shower? If to have a bridal shower when should I have it? How many months before the wedding?

Please help!!
Thanks in advance!! :

Re: Housewarming or bridal shower?

• edited March 2013
    Hello! Make sure that you don't plan or expect a bridal shower. Your bridesmaids may throw one for you, but they don't have to and it would be rude to ask them for one or for you to plan the details. At most they may ask you for a guest list. Don't forget that you shouldn't invite anyone to the shower who isn't invited to the wedding. Most wedding showers that I have been to have taken place somewhere between 2 weeks and 2 months before the wedding.

Therefore it isn't a question of one or the other. You can host a housewarming party if you would like to when you move to have everyone over and celebrate the new place. 

Make sure that you don't expect your bridesmaids to do anything over and above wearing the bridesmaid dress and being there on the day. Anything else that they choose to do is optional and is icing on the cake. :)
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_housewarming-or-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:740a5980-0b25-49d7-9b7c-ca6974988f7dPost:8d0eff5b-2328-4d47-ac30-dbff1aad0301">Re: Housewarming or bridal shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello! Make sure that you don't plan or expect a bridal shower. Your bridesmaids may throw one for you, but they don't have to and it would be rude to ask them for one or for you to plan the details. At most they may ask you for a guest list. Don't forget that you shouldn't invite anyone to the shower who isn't invited to the wedding. Most wedding showers that I have been to have taken place somewhere between 2 weeks and 2 months before the wedding. Therefore it isn't a question of one or the other. You can host a housewarming party if you would like to when you move to have everyone over and celebrate the new place.  Make sure that you don't expect your bridesmaids to do anything over and above wearing the bridesmaid dress and being there on the day. Anything else that they choose to do is optional and is icing on the cake. :)
    Posted by yellowdaisies84[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Hi! Thank you so much for your quick response! </div><div>
    </div><div>I think its best for us to have a housewarming party since we are very excited to have our own place. The bridal shower will be up to my bridesmaids. Do you think that having a registry for the housewarming is okay to do? </div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks again! </div><div>
    </div><div>Diana</div><div>
    </div>
  • Hi again! Congrats on getting your own place, that is exciting. Sorry to tell you that it is not correct etiquette for you to register for the housewarming party. Do not make a registry. It's a celebration to welcome friends, family, or both to welcome them to your new home and celebrate together. Some of your guests will of course want to bring you a gift, others will not. 

At housewarming parties I've been to, gifts are typically small like a bottle of wine, a plant, something like that. Do not expect large gifts. I'm sure that there are lots of things that you need and want for the new place but it won't be too much longer before you can register for your wedding for those types of things.

• Ryan&MeliRyan&Meli member
    First Comment
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_housewarming-or-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:740a5980-0b25-49d7-9b7c-ca6974988f7dPost:71944971-6c1e-4e4b-be7c-069d8845c2c5">Re: Housewarming or bridal shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi again! Congrats on getting your own place, that is exciting. Sorry to tell you that it is not correct etiquette for you to register for the housewarming party. Do not make a registry. It's a celebration to welcome friends, family, or both to welcome them to your new home and celebrate together. Some of your guests will of course want to bring you a gift, others will not.  At housewarming parties I've been to, gifts are typically small like a bottle of wine, a plant, something like that. Do not expect large gifts. I'm sure that there are lots of things that you need and want for the new place but it won't be too much longer before you can register for your wedding for those types of things.
    Posted by yellowdaisies84[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you again!! Your advise is greatly appreciated. Congrats on your engagement and wedding!! </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • I agree that the better way to go would be to host a house-warming party once you have your new place. I definitely don't think you should register. People usually bring small items that they found usefel to help you set up your home, like something to stock your alcohol shelf with or a random gadget from Pampered Chef. Use word of mouth to help spread around what you could use for your home.
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    I have never seen any gifts other than plants and wine, like Retread mentioned, at housewarming parties. If you have a home that you are hosting a party in, presumably you have the things to set up said home and it is "ready" before you invite people to it.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_housewarming-or-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:740a5980-0b25-49d7-9b7c-ca6974988f7dPost:8b8870c3-36c8-4669-a3da-b35515c3e3dd">Re: Housewarming or bridal shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Housewarming or bridal shower? : Thank you again!! Your advise is greatly appreciated. Congrats on your engagement and wedding!! 
    Posted by Ryan&Meli[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you :)</div>
  • The bride shouldn't host, ask for or expect a bridal shower. I hope someone offers to throw one for you, but that shouldn't happen until a few weeks to a few months before the wedding. So without a wedding date, a shower isn't appropriate. Create a wedding/shower registry about 6 months before the wedding.

You can host a housewarming party because that isn't a gift giving event. It's a way to welcome your loved ones to your new home. If anyone brings a gift, it will likely be a hostess type gift - candles, wine, guest towels etc...

• I'm going to assume when you say you're getting a place that you're going to be renting an apartment.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  If this is the case, you don't do a housewarming party.  Those are for when you actually buy your own home.  Just have a party if you want.  No registry.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_housewarming-or-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:740a5980-0b25-49d7-9b7c-ca6974988f7dPost:78265462-2d60-4dd0-9d89-52d6504e1afc">Re: Housewarming or bridal shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree that the better way to go would be to host a house-warming party once you have your new place. I definitely don't think you should register. People usually bring small items that they found usefel to help you set up your home, like something to stock your alcohol shelf with or a random gadget from Pampered Chef. Use word of mouth to help spread around what you could use for your home.
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you for your advise! We received a few wine bottles at our engagement party so I believe it is the same concept. </div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks again!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_housewarming-or-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:740a5980-0b25-49d7-9b7c-ca6974988f7dPost:652594e8-60fd-4636-a40c-8bedd96b8c0c">Re: Housewarming or bridal shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The bride shouldn't host, ask for or expect a bridal shower. I hope someone offers to throw one for you, but that shouldn't happen until a few weeks to a few months before the wedding. So without a wedding date, a shower isn't appropriate. Create a wedding/shower registry about 6 months before the wedding. You can host a housewarming party because that isn't a gift giving event. It's a way to welcome your loved ones to your new home. If anyone brings a gift, it will likely be a hostess type gift - candles, wine, guest towels etc...
    Posted by MairePoppy[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you so much! I will most definitely host a housewarming party.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_housewarming-or-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:740a5980-0b25-49d7-9b7c-ca6974988f7dPost:4ec16ad9-341f-4454-85b8-47dd5206d496">Re: Housewarming or bridal shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm going to assume when you say you're getting a place that you're going to be renting an apartment.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  If this is the case, you don't do a housewarming party.  Those are for when you actually buy your own home.  Just have a party if you want.  No registry.  
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]

<div>Many people call apartments 'home.' There's nothing wrong with celebrating your first home together, by hosting a party for your loved ones. </div>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards