Plus-Sized
Options

Plus size Bridesmaid dress!

HELP! 

We're searching for elegant long gowns in the blush tone/gray color scheme and 3 of the girls are tall and thin, a size 2/4. The other bridesmaid is a size 22. We need to find some options that are all the same color but come in different styles. Perhaps the maid of honor and the bridesmaid who needs a larger size will wear different dresses so the larger bridesmaid doesn't feel uncomfortable standing out in her own dress. We looked at davids bridal because of size purposes and it was a DISASTER. Does anyone know of any brands that will work? Preferably long styles under $250.

Re: Plus size Bridesmaid dress!

• Options
    QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013

Alfred Angelo has a lot of dresses in various sizes.  Maybe give them the color that you want to stick with and the fabric (chiffon, satin, etc.) and let them pick their own dresses that flatter their body style.  Your BMs dresses do not have to match.  My BMs picked the dress they wanted in the color I picked.  They were much happier in a dress that they loved and suited their body.

http://www.alfredangelo.com/collections/productdisplay.aspx?productID=32e3160d-e3a4-4ac7-99f9-332161af159f&categoryID=772f03c9-de43-4942-bfa0-da77e21ebd65&pg=1&colorId1=

here is a picture of me and my two BMs. their dresses coordinated in length, color & fabric. And they complimented well.

• Options
    If you have time, I found HeleneBridal.com is amazing. Any color, gorgeous styles and affordable. Almost any beaufitul dress offered is also offered in plus size and the color choices is unbelievable.

They ship overnight. We are getting everything there!
  • Options
    Weddingplanner, you will be sorry if you order from Helene. They're a Chinese knockoff company. Look at the stickies posted at the top of the attire board to learn why these Chinese knockoff sites are poor choices.
  • Options
    i got my bm dresses from alfred angelo and they were all different size and from 0 to 20 and the dress looked good on everyone!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I third the suggestion of Alfred Angelo.  If there is an Alfred Angelo signature store near you, I'd definitely check it out and bring your maids.  They all have a ton of samples in all different sizes.  I didn't initially pick the maids' dress when browsing the collection online.  My girls found it in the shop, everybody was able to try it on, and they all looked awesome in it.  That made the decision that much easier.
    *** September 2013 Siggy Challenge: Hair Inspiration ***
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Another warning to stay away from helenebridal.   It is a knockoff site and the quality will likely be VERY bad.  Crocker, I hope you don't order from them. Read the FAQ at the top of the attire & accessories forum about knockoff warnings.

Also, I would personally appreciate it if you didn't recommend knockoff sites on this forum.
  • Options

I have two non-plus sized female attendants and one plus-sized (26/28) female attendant.  I began my search for a design by looking for the plus woman's size.  I found www.plussizebridal.com and then found through that site a design by Dessy.  Dessy designs can be ordered custom fitted (in other words if a woman is a size 20 hips but a size 14 top, you don't have to buy two pieces or buy one piece and then have her pay for expensive alterations, you can give them all her measurements and they'll make it to size.  Very helpful too if anyone is petite.)  Dessy is a great company IMHO because they have really elegant designs in a range of prices, and many designs come two-tone or in other innovative styles - lace, etc. The one I selected is $250 per woman, but the custom fitting bumps it up a bit.  It's a Lela Rose Dessy design in duchess satin.  I am having each woman do her own color, but all the same dress.  One woman is midnight blue, one is platinum/dark silver, and the third is venetian gold/dark but metallic gold.  These are our wedding colors.  And no, I did not let him select their own dresses, but I did let them pick which color each would wear.  So, I'm a half-way considerate bride.

The going opinion here is that one should select a design or color and allow the maids to pick their own dress.  I.E. 'this shade of plum, and long,' but then any dress in the line that meets those two needs.

• Options
    My bridesmaids are sizes 6, 12, and 20  and they all found beautiful dresses for $200 and under from Bill Levkoff.  The sizes run up to a 30, I believe, in some styles.  You can find which salons carry the Levkoff line on their website. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards