Virginia

Anyone know of a Custom Wedding Dress Maker in NOVA?

Hello,

A few of my friends told me that it might be cheaper to have a dress made (depending on the dress). Do you all know of any good seamstresses in the Northern VA area?

Thank you.

Re: Anyone know of a Custom Wedding Dress Maker in NOVA?

• I don't know of one in NOVA. But, I am having my dress made in RVA at Evelyn's Designs http://evelyndesigns.net/ She does FANTASTIC work and is very affordable. The designer gown I wanted was over $2500, and she is making mine (that looks just like my inspiration dress with a few added details) for less than $1000!!!
  • I don't mind driving down to Richmond. What's the turn around time? (on average... as long as I don't go overboard)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_virginia_anyone-know-of-a-custom-wedding-dress-maker-in-nova?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:236Discussion:9ebdbd92-7ff0-493e-b4ba-d4895013a77bPost:6bcdb757-a2d0-4062-94cf-06cb1c8b67d5">Re: Anyone know of a Custom Wedding Dress Maker in NOVA?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't mind driving down to Richmond. What's the turn around time? (on average... as long as I don't go overboard)
    Posted by anahita7[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends on the design of your gown. I wanted mine all lace, so she had to order in all the lace. I started working with her in Nov and my dress is almost ready. We knew we had a lot of time before my May wedding, so I think she could probably turn it around pretty quickly if needed.

The process went like this:
    1st meeting- discuss ideas and inspirations, what you want etc. I sent her pics via email and met in person to discuss. She will draw out the design of what you want on paper. She will take intial measurements.
    2nd- she makes a dress out of muslin (cheap white fabric) and outlines your dress while its on you with measurements.
    3rd- actually try on your dress, any last alterations etc. (this is where i am now)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_virginia_anyone-know-of-a-custom-wedding-dress-maker-in-nova?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:236Discussion:9ebdbd92-7ff0-493e-b4ba-d4895013a77bPost:8c02e1ff-0666-4a47-bae5-cf84c958706b">Re: Anyone know of a Custom Wedding Dress Maker in NOVA?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone know of a Custom Wedding Dress Maker in NOVA? : I guess it depends on the design of your gown. I wanted mine all lace, so she had to order in all the lace. I started working with her in Nov and my dress is almost ready. We knew we had a lot of time before my May wedding, so I think she could probably turn it around pretty quickly if needed. The process went like this: 1st meeting- discuss ideas and inspirations, what you want etc. I sent her pics via email and met in person to discuss. She will draw out the design of what you want on paper. She will take intial measurements. 2nd- she makes a dress out of muslin (cheap white fabric) and outlines your dress while its on you with measurements. 3rd- actually try on your dress, any last alterations etc. (this is where i am now)
    Posted by Springdaisy5[/QUOTE]

When did you start the process?
  • I met with her for the first time at the very end of November 2012. And my dress will be ready very soon.
  • You can try Kimly's ALterations out of Woodbridge, VA.  You need to select your pattern and fabric and then take it to her.  All you pay is her labor charges-which are reasonable.

THe pattern and fabric is where you will pay the most.  Unless you go to India or Thailand, fabric and notions are really pricey.  I would buy a sample gown from a full service bridal salon and then take it to a seamstress to change or add on to it.  This method will save you the most money and you can customize/design the dress on your own to make it your own!

Having a dress custom made WILL NOT save you money and you take your chances not to mention taking up your time-you take your chances that the seamstress won't make it the way you want.  Usually there are no refunds in this process.  Good luck to you with your decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards