Wedding Reception Forum
Options

MC vs DJ duties?

I'm a little hazy on just what the difference in duties between the DJ and the MC are. I've heard people mentioning the DJ announcing the bride and groom but I would have thought that would fall under MC.

Can anyone offer some insight? I've been thinking of asking my brother to MC but I want to have a solid answer for him if he says, Sure, what do I do?
"People tell me the engagement will fly by and we'll be married before I know it, but it hasn't felt like that so far" Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: MC vs DJ duties?

• Options
    Your DJ acts as the emcee. You only need an emcee if you don't have a DJ (like if you do an iPod reception). The DJ will play the music, make any announcements (entrance, special dances, cake cutting, etc.) but most importantly, keep the reception on time and flowing at a nice pace.
  • Options

If you have a DJ, don't ask your brother to MC.  Let him enjoy the reception and not have to worry about the job you gave him.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_mc-vs-dj-duties?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:a7535281-26f4-4cb1-b289-cd851d80534bPost:2a6c9586-db47-4c8f-bbcd-e7a6051c4bae">Re: MC vs DJ duties?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you have a DJ, don't ask your brother to MC.  Let him enjoy the reception and not have to worry about the job you gave him.
    Posted by OliveOilsMom[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This!  

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_mc-vs-dj-duties?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:a7535281-26f4-4cb1-b289-cd851d80534bPost:5f6de0df-39ac-4811-8606-75aa28c2e883">Re: MC vs DJ duties?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our DJ was the emcee. No reason to have two people.
    Posted by scribe95[/QUOTE]

Ditto

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    A DJ makes all important announcements.  Bride and groom intro, time for cake, time for dinner, etc etc.  We have been to one wedding where there was a DJ and an MC and it was ANNOYING.  The MC talked the whole time.  His bridal party introductions was really, really cute and funny and then he went banana sandwich and didn't stop talking forever.  Not saying this will happen, but you really only need the dj to announce a few things and every DJ I know fully expects to have to do this. 

June 1, 2013 - finally making it official!

• Options
    The thing is, I've asked the company doing our weddign package if he does any kind of MC duties, and apparently he doesn't.
    "People tell me the engagement will fly by and we'll be married before I know it, but it hasn't felt like that so far" Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards