Texas-Houston
Options

Day-of Wedding decorations help!!

Hi all! I'm in a bit of a rut.....We are getting married on 9/14/13, at The Courtyard on St. James.  When you book with St. James, you are assigned an Event Manager. My manager is Lori, and she will be there to direct the rehearsal, and help during the ceremony, and stay for about 2 hours of the reception to make sure everything runs smoothly. Therefore, I do not need a day of Wedding Coordinator. My problem involves  the decor I am bringing in myself.  Pictures, some silk flower arrangements, kissing balls, string lights, and other small misc. stuff. St James will allow us in 2 hours before our ceremony starts, which, obviously, I will not be able to put the decorations up myself because I will be getting my hair and makeup done then. Also all my bridesmaids and my mom will be doing the same as well.  Who can I get to do this???  Someone suggested a close friend, but I would prefer a professional to do it.  The company I am using for my DJ has a wedding coordinator and I emailed her about this, but she said she doesn't do "just decorations."  Anyone know of someone or a company that does this??

Re: Day-of Wedding decorations help!!

• Options
    Can you florist do it? I would assume they would be there anyway to add table decorations so perhaps they could have an extra staff member? It might be worth asking. If not, perhaps they can recommend someone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    My event manager at my hotel put up my decorations for me, once I included pictures. Maybe have an aunt or grandmother do it? I don't see why it has to be a "professional" if you make sure to include pics of what it should look like. 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    House party? A co-worker? I am having my 4 house party ladies set stuff up with pictures. 
  • Options
    I just went to a wedding there this past weekend. She had friends and family help set everything up. Flowers in the urns, on the chairs in the aisle, rose petals along the isle, Flowers for the guest book table along with a bridal picture. Cristal chandelier in the arch along with crystals hanging down from the arch. I am not sure who did the table centerpieces as they were done when I arrived 2 hours before the wedding (my DH was a groomsman).
  • Options
    Thanks all! Pictures are a great idea. Once I have everything in order I will take pictures and see if any friends are up for it. =)
  • Options
    The above posts are pretty spot on.. ask your florist, a few friends that are not in the wedding party, etc. for help.  They will be able to set up for you.

I would also look at how much time (and where) you are looking to do pictures.  If your ceremony is offsite, and you have a few hours between the ceremony and the reception, this is serious WIN.  Out of town guests that are close may be willing to help because they don't really have much to do in the hours between your ceremony and reception.  There's generally not enough time in here for folks to do much than go home and watch some tv - as an out of towner I usually go shopping briefly, but never buy anything, because to be honest all malls have 90% the same stores. 

I work in the non-profit field and if there's one thing I've learned, it's that if you ask someone to help, they generally will.  People WANT to help, not always for recognition, but almost always for the nature of feeling that they helped someone today.  We're communal creatures, humans, and we want to be able to support each other.  It never hurts to just ask.

This may sound crazy but I may be wwilling to help as well.  Sure, I'm a stranger on a message board, but hey, you know I've got time as I wouldn't be at the ceremony or reception.  Just sayin.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards