Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Very bad experience with Heinz Chapel :(

Dare I say- the prestigous and beautiful Heinz Chapel unfortunately has a very argumentive and unpleasant Director. We were going to have a beer ceremony at our reception, initially pouring a beer that we made ourselfs into one glass to symbolize our union. At first our coordinator was all for it and said it would be great. 7 days before our wedding, she calls and says the Director "just realized" what we were doing and the answer was no. She said because it "was not a religous ceremony" we could not do it.  I called her directly, pleading that we already printed our programs and that this was very meaningful to us. How is she to assume that this is not religous to us and not at least ask? She was so unbelieveably cold and rude. We contacted our Rev to call her to explain to her that this was a spiritual ceremony and he said  she was "not only agrumentive but quite unpleasant" to him! We tried to compromise and see if we could do a sand ceremony but use grains and she said NO to that too! What is wrong with using grains? Its like she is saying no just to say no!  I am heartbroken that we are going through this with Heinz Chapel. We paid so much money to get married there and the Director is treating us like this. We told them what we were doing and because the Director wasnt paying attention when she gave the OK we get told last minute that we have to change our ceremony. :( Our wedding is in 4 days

PS. She also said some very discriminating comments agains Wiccans. My fiance and I are not Wiccans but were offended that she had the audacity to out right show discrimination against someones religion.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Very bad experience with Heinz Chapel :(

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Sorry to hear it. Most places don't allow sand, rice, petals, confetti, glitter, etc. to be used because they have the potential to make a mess.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
     That is understandable, its just so unfortunate they would tell us this all last minute and very unfortunate the the Director was so offensive and rude. I feel like if you are going to say no, you dont have to be rude and cold about it ESPECIALLY if we paid to have our wedding there. It has really left a bad taste in my mouth. Her actions tarnished my view of Heinz Chapel, I am dissapointed.

Besides that, I am praying for a beautiful wedding. The coordinators Lisa and Amy at Heinz Chapel are very nice. My advice is never talk to or deal with the Director for anything. We wish we never did.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I read about this on the A Simple Vow Facebook feed and figured that it came up because of a bride... I'm so sorry it's you.  I can't believe that they're trying to determine what's "religious" and what's not.  There are so many faiths out there -- and some people who don't necessarily hold any religious beliefs at all! -- that it seems presumptuous.  
    image 108 invited.
    image 95 will be celebrating with us.
    image 13 will be there in spirit...
    (including the uninvited cousins who
    RSVP-ed and then cancelled after 
    realizing that it wasn't a great time
    to travel to our city....) 
    image 0 are keeping us guessing!

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Very bad experience with Heinz Chapel ::[QUOTE]I read about this on the A Simple Vow Facebook feed and figured that it came up because of a bride... I'm so sorry it's you. nbsp;I can't believe that they're trying to determine what's quot;religiousquot; and what's not. nbsp;There are so many faiths out there and some people who don't necessarily hold any religious beliefs at all! that it seems presumptuous. nbsp; Posted by mrsetwinmiller2b[/QUOTE]

This is exactly why I am so appalled forget the fact that she was unbelievably rude but how can anyone just assume what our religion is? I can't believe someone like this is representing not only Heinz but also the University of Pittsburgh. You can't say things like that to people, even though we are not Wiccan but for her to degrade anyone's religion is a disgrace.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. My FI and I looked into getting married there because I am a Pitt alumni but they had too long a list if nos. I am planning in doing a sand ceremony so we can include our daughter and would be extremely upset if I were told no days before my wedding. Your beer ceremony sounds so unique and pretty cool! Could you find time to fit it into the reception day before dinner while everyone is seated. You guys could be in the middle of the floor and just take a quick 510 minutes for yourselves. I'm sure your guests wouldn't mind.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_very-bad-experience-with-heinz-chapel?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:950c700a-149a-4ef3-8ab1-836dd3f22fc3Post:4a46a186-3f4c-4789-86d7-e4e099862c4a">Re:Very bad experience with Heinz Chapel :</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. My FI and I looked into getting married there because I am a Pitt alumni but they had too long a list if nos. I am planning in doing a sand ceremony so we can include our daughter and would be extremely upset if I were told no days before my wedding. <strong>Your beer ceremony sounds so unique and pretty cool! Could you find time to fit it into the reception day before dinner while everyone is seated.</strong> You guys could be in the middle of the floor and just take a quick 510 minutes for yourselves. I'm sure your guests wouldn't mind.
    Posted by cma212[/QUOTE]

This would be a good option, to do the Beer Ceremony at the actual reception, although I'm not sure I understand what a beer ceremony is.  Sounds similar to lighting a Unity Candle?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    My fiance and I are considering getting married at Heinz Chapel. I've read about a few negative experiences on here. Anyone else been married there? Pros/Cons?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards