Wedding Party

Bridesmaid Gifts

I would LOVE to get those adorable tanktops that say "Bridesmaid" and "Maid of Honor" for my bridal party gifts, but they're so expensive! $40 for a tanktop (before shipping even) just seems crazy.  I'd much rather find lower price tank tops so I could pair them with another small gift or two for my bridesmaids.  Does anyone know of a place to buy tank tops like these? 

Re: Bridesmaid Gifts

• Hi Beret

The tank tops wouldn't really be bridal party gifts; bridal party gifts should be non wedding related.

If you still want to get them for your BMs in addition to another, non wedding related gift you might be able to make them.  I think I have seen iron-on or rhinestone "Bridesmaid" and "Maid of Honor" phrases somewhere on the interwebz.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-43?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5907bdd2-86a5-422c-b341-edbe6fc04335Post:21943bf0-5031-40e4-aec4-dbc2723a9519">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Beret The tank tops wouldn't really be bridal party gifts; bridal party gifts should be non wedding related. If you still want to get them for your BMs in addition to another, non wedding related gift you might be able to make them.  I think I have seen iron-on or rhinestone "Bridesmaid" and "Maid of Honor" phrases somewhere on the interwebz.
    Posted by cmsciulli[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh really?  I've been looking at lots of websites for bridesmaid gift ideas and a ton of them were wedding related - interesting feedback!  I will look for the iron-on phrases.  That may help! Thanks!</div>
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-43?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5907bdd2-86a5-422c-b341-edbe6fc04335Post:0a6bb724-f78b-4fb5-8487-8713659b72da">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridesmaid Gifts : Oh really?  I've been looking at lots of websites for bridesmaid gift ideas and a ton of them were wedding related - interesting feedback!  I will look for the iron-on phrases.  That may help! Thanks!
    Posted by beret92[/QUOTE]

A bridesmaid gift should be something you would give her if it was her birthday, Christmas, etc. . . something personal, that she would really like, that is a sign of your gratitude for her being in your wedding and your life.

Anything that you give the bridesmaids that is related to your wedding- robes, jewelry, gift certificate for hair/makeup- is actually a gift for yourself, because it is something for them to wear for your wedding.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-43?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:5907bdd2-86a5-422c-b341-edbe6fc04335Post:0a6bb724-f78b-4fb5-8487-8713659b72da">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridesmaid Gifts : Oh really? <strong> I've been looking at lots of websites for bridesmaid gift ideas and a ton of them were wedding related </strong>- interesting feedback!  I will look for the iron-on phrases.  That may help! Thanks!

Welcome to TK! Please stick around!!

The wedding industry will try to sell you bridesmaid embellished anything so they can make a buck off of you.

The minute you realize that all of those items are things no one would ever use again except for your wedding (therefore, they aren't gifts), you'll be on the right track!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-43?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5907bdd2-86a5-422c-b341-edbe6fc04335Post:85ccde98-a774-4d8b-aad8-b14170dbe914">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridesmaid Gifts : Welcome to TK! Please stick around!! The wedding industry will try to sell you bridesmaid embellished anything so they can make a buck off of you. The minute you realize that all of those items are things no one would ever use again except for your wedding (therefore, they aren't gifts), you'll be on the right track!
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

<div>Okay, maybe you two are right! This is the article that originally had me thinking the gifts SHOULD be wedding related, but then again, it is by The Knot.  I don't think the gifts should be completely random, but I now also don't think they have to be wedding related.  Another idea I had was to give each bridesmaid a clutch or bag with some different items inside: makeup, nail polish, etc. and a note to each one thanking them for being a bridesmaid.  I was planning on making each one specific to the person receiving it.  Maybe this is a better idea because they can of course use the nailpolish or whatever I decide to put inside for the wedding, but they will want to use it again too.</div>
  • Don't think of the gifts as random, but rather as individual, or specific to each lady in your bridal party.  The clutch idea sounds pretty cute, but your gifts don't have to be matchy-matchy if you don't want them to be- you don't give each of your friends the exact same birthday gifts, afterall ;-)

• Sierra524Sierra524 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-43?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5907bdd2-86a5-422c-b341-edbe6fc04335Post:bba80cbd-3f7b-46da-b84b-f566e6684fb4">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridesmaid Gifts : Okay, maybe you two are right! This is the article that originally had me thinking the gifts SHOULD be wedding related, but then again, it is by The Knot.  I don't think the gifts should be completely random, but I now also don't think they have to be wedding related.  Another idea I had was to give each bridesmaid a clutch or bag with some different items inside: makeup, nail polish, etc. and a note to each one thanking them for being a bridesmaid.  I was planning on making each one specific to the person receiving it.  <strong>Maybe this is a better idea because they can of course use the nailpolish or whatever I decide to put inside for the wedding, but they will want to use it again too.</strong>
    IMO, I wouldnt do this either. I mean honestly, do all of your girls use clutches? I never use them, Id rather carry something bigger with me. How will you know what kind of make up or nail polish they use? You could always get them gift cards to their favorite stores, so they can pick out something they like and will actually use.

ETA: Your wedding is in May 2014...you have PLENTY of time to figure this out!! I saw on your bio that you just got engaged two months ago, right? Take this time to enjoy your engagement and dont worry about little things like this just yet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-43?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:5907bdd2-86a5-422c-b341-edbe6fc04335Post:bba80cbd-3f7b-46da-b84b-f566e6684fb4">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridesmaid Gifts : Okay, maybe you two are right! This is the article that originally had me thinking the gifts SHOULD be wedding related, but then again, it is by The Knot.  I don't think the gifts should be completely random, but I now also don't think they have to be wedding related.  Another idea I had was to give each bridesmaid a <strong>clutch or bag with some different items inside: makeup, nail polish,</strong> etc. and a note to each one thanking them for being a bridesmaid.  I was planning on making each one specific to the person receiving it.  Maybe this is a better idea because they can of course use the nailpolish or whatever I decide to put inside for the wedding, but they will want to use it again too.

This could work, so long as this is the kind of thing you'd buy her if it was her birthday gift.

Again, the clutch/bag, makeup, and/or nail polish should be in the bridesmaids' personal style, not in a color or design to match your wedding.
  • Please dont buy/ make Bridesmaid t-shirts. Your friends will only wear them for 5 minutes for some cute gettting ready pictures and then they will get tossed in the back of their closests. These shirts would be props, not gifts.

A clutch or a bag isnt a badidea. As long as it is something that they would buy for themselves. If it is somethig you want them to wear on our wedding day, then it is part of the wedding attire and it doesnt count as a gift.

Shop for your BMs like its their birthday. Individualize it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-43?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5907bdd2-86a5-422c-b341-edbe6fc04335Post:d263792a-62db-49f8-a244-6d23e343a01c">Bridesmaid Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would LOVE to get those adorable tanktops that say "Bridesmaid" and "Maid of Honor" for my bridal party gifts, but they're so expensive! $40 for a tanktop (before shipping even) just seems crazy.  I'd much rather find lower price tank tops so I could pair them with another small gift or two for my bridesmaids.  Does anyone know of a place to buy tank tops like these? 

<div>I'd skip this. The only time they'd ever wear these is if you are all getting ready together as a photo op. It's not worth your $40. You can spend $40 on something they will really like.</div><div>
    </div><div>I wouldn't even let my mom buy me this hoodie she saw that said "bride" and it is my own wedding. Like a PP said, I wouldn't wear it to the gym, on errands, or pretty much anywhere. </div>
  • If you really, really have to have the bedazzled tank tops, check out the classified section here. I see them all the time. I'm assuming the reason is that no one really wants them. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-43?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5907bdd2-86a5-422c-b341-edbe6fc04335Post:13a706d1-1b57-41e2-a86f-a0c8b978bb86">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridesmaid Gifts : IMO, I wouldnt do this either. I mean honestly, do all of your girls use clutches? I never use them, Id rather carry something bigger with me. How will you know what kind of make up or nail polish they use? You could always get them gift cards to their favorite stores, so they can pick out something they like and will actually use. ETA: Your wedding is in May 2014...you have PLENTY of time to figure this out!! I saw on your bio that you just got engaged two months ago, right? Take this time to enjoy your engagement and dont worry about little things like this just yet.
    Posted by Sierra524[/QUOTE]

<div>I said a clutch or bag.  I would of course pick out something they would each want to use.  They wouldn't all get the same one.  I just know what kind of stuff they like, we've known each other forever.  Cards seem so impersonal.  I know I prefer to get gifts that require some thought rather than a gift card.</div><div>
    </div><div>I know that I have time to figure this all out.. I LIKE planning and it's fun to think about and shop around for these things.  I'm not buying anything today.  I am loving my engagement.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-43?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5907bdd2-86a5-422c-b341-edbe6fc04335Post:e47eb79b-a65d-42ab-8606-ac31166c395b">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't think of the gifts as random, but rather as individual, or specific to each lady in your bridal party.  The clutch idea sounds pretty cute, but your gifts don't have to be matchy-matchy if you don't want them to be- you don't give each of your friends the exact same birthday gifts, afterall ;-)
    Posted by cmsciulli[/QUOTE]

<div>By "random" I meant it seems silly to buy one girl a video game or something.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-43?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5907bdd2-86a5-422c-b341-edbe6fc04335Post:6b968b88-ad36-454c-9ad2-feb688dea5ab">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridesmaid Gifts : This could work, so long as this is the kind of thing you'd buy her if it was her birthday gift.   Again, the clutch/bag, makeup, and/or nail polish should be in the bridesmaids' personal style, not in a color or design to match your wedding.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wouldnt get them all wedding color things. I don't expect them to use them for the wedding.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-43?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5907bdd2-86a5-422c-b341-edbe6fc04335Post:067bc68d-257b-41af-afce-3de99b1ee5bb">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Would you go to the gym, mall, grocery store or walk the dog wearing a tank top that says BRIDESMAID on it in rhinestones?  These can't be used past the wedding.  I'd wear it once to please the bride (probably to the bachelorette party), then toss it in the trash. The makeup bag isn't a bad idea (I would like it), but filling it with toiletries isn't.  How would you feel if you opened your stocking on Christmas morning and found nail polish, tissues and Chapstick in it? Match the gift to the girl. The gifts don't have to be alike, just in the same price range.  If Nancy loves cooking, get her a gourmet cookbook.  Concert ticket for Jill, a gift card to her favorite restaurant for Susan. You should know them well enough to shop for them.  Skip the kitsch the wedding industry peddles.  They are trying to sell you stuff.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>The bridesmaid tank tops were in no way going to be the only thing I got the bridesmaids.  I don't consider nail polish to be a toiletrie... All of my bridesmaids love nail polish.  I get polish as gifts all the time.  I get the idea though, they don't have to get the same thing. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-43?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5907bdd2-86a5-422c-b341-edbe6fc04335Post:72259dc3-3903-4172-ac51-e0ab466d5a49">Re:Bridesmaid Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto everyone else. The gifts should be something you will get them for birthday, Christmas, etc. If all of your BMs happen love clutches and love nail polish AND you get them individual nail polish colors that are picked out for them, not to coordinate with the BM dresses, then that could be a good gift. However, for me, it would be an awful gift since I only wear toe nail polish and tend to wear unconventional colors like bright blue or dark green. Why not get them each things they will really LOVE and use again. A cute mug and gourmet coffee or a GC to a favorite coffee shop for the caffeine addict. A favorite bottle of wine and set of wine glass charms or a fun stopper for the wine drinker. A cool Kindle/Nook cover and Amazon or BN gift card for the one who takes her Ereader everywhere. A FitBit or a cute pair of gym socks and an REI gift card for the gym rat. You get the idea.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I appreciate that you actually gave other suggestions instead of just shooting mine down,so thanks! However, my girls actually probably all would love the purse with makeup idea so I'm not ruling it out, but I am still thinking.  I have a long time after all. :)</div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-43?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:5907bdd2-86a5-422c-b341-edbe6fc04335Post:067bc68d-257b-41af-afce-3de99b1ee5bb">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Would you go to the gym, mall, grocery store or walk the dog wearing a tank top that says BRIDESMAID on it in rhinestones?  These can't be used past the wedding.  I'd wear it once to please the bride (probably to the bachelorette party), then toss it in the trash. The makeup bag isn't a bad idea (I would like it), but filling it with toiletries isn't.  How would you feel if you opened your<strong> stocking on Christmas morning and found nail polish, tissues and Chapstick in it?</strong> Match the gift to the girl. The gifts don't have to be alike, just in the same price range.  If Nancy loves cooking, get her a gourmet cookbook.  Concert ticket for Jill, a gift card to her favorite restaurant for Susan. You should know them well enough to shop for them.  Skip the kitsch the wedding industry peddles.  They are trying to sell you stuff.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

I LOL'd when I read this. I actually look forward to this on Christmas (from my mom). I wouldn't want this from a friend though.
    Anniversary
  • I think it depends on your party!  I made my bridesmaids shirts that said Bridesmaid and giving it to them is how I asked them to be in my wedding party.  My wedding party was my cousins and my sister, all of whom were 18 or younger and in their first wedding, so it was a big deal to them and they were excited about the shirts.

I also disagree that a gift for the wedding day is a gift for you!  If you're expecting your bridesmaids to wear the same jewelry, giving it as a gift is a nice gesture instead of telling them what to buy.  I'm the crafty type, so I made my girls personalized totebags (which they all still use, years later!) and their jewelry.

Sounds like you have a great idea of what they'd like!  I'm currently a bridesmaid and I don't expect anything too difficult in way of a gift... I'm happy to be there for her, and anything she gives me as a way of saying "thank you for being with me on my big day" will be gratefully and happily received.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Link to Wedding Blog!
    DIY Brides - there are some AMAZING ideas on craftster.org! If you end up over there, look me up: screenname is Haylie. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-43?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5907bdd2-86a5-422c-b341-edbe6fc04335Post:854d197a-4d59-4ccf-a741-5ecbaae863af">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it depends on your party!  I made my bridesmaids shirts that said Bridesmaid and giving it to them is how I asked them to be in my wedding party.  My wedding party was my cousins and my sister, all of whom were 18 or younger and in their first wedding, so it was a big deal to them and they were excited about the shirts. I also disagree that a gift for the wedding day is a gift for you! <strong> If you're expecting your bridesmaids to wear the same jewelry, giving it as a gift is a nice gesture instead of telling them what to buy.</strong>  I'm the crafty type, so I made my girls personalized totebags (which they all still use, years later!) and their jewelry. Sounds like you have a great idea of what they'd like!  I'm currently a bridesmaid and I don't expect anything too difficult in way of a gift... I'm happy to be there for her, and anything she gives me as a way of saying "thank you for being with me on my big day" will be gratefully and happily received.
    Posted by Haylie04[/QUOTE]

Your BM gifts should have nothing to do with your wedding. Giving them all jewlery that you want them to wear on your wedding day is a prop for your wedding, not a gift for them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Blue_BirdBlue_Bird member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-43?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5907bdd2-86a5-422c-b341-edbe6fc04335Post:d263792a-62db-49f8-a244-6d23e343a01c">Bridesmaid Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would LOVE to get those adorable tanktops that say "Bridesmaid" and "Maid of Honor" for my bridal party gifts, but they're so expensive! $40 for a tanktop (before shipping even) just seems crazy.  I'd much rather find lower price tank tops so I could pair them with another small gift or two for my bridesmaids.  Does anyone know of a place to buy tank tops like these? 

You could buy cheap tank tops at Michael's (arts and crafts store) and beadazzle them yourself, but it would be a huge waste of your time and money. I can't think of anyone who would want that for a gift. I suggest that you give them something that is really for them and something that shows your appreciation of these special people in your life.
  • My "random" gifts:

MOH (sister): Silver cuff bracelet hand-stamped on the inside with a phrase special to us
    BM (best friend): Oragami Owl living locket
    GM (brother): Cowboy hat
    GM (guy friend): Signed picture of a footbal player he loves, also part of a running joke we have

I put a ton of thought into all of these, and they have nothing to do with each other or the wedding. 
  • edited March 2013
    As most of the PP already stated, make sure it has NOTHING to do with the wedding. If you want to buy the jewelry they will wear to your wedding that's great but it is NOT a BM gift. Some brides think they are killing two birds with one stone by buying the jewelry they will wear to the wedding as a gift and having each one different to be personalized to the BM but yet it is still NOT a gift since they are being told they have to wear it for the wedding. Something that caters to each BMs personality and interest that is absolutely not related to the wedding is the best way to go. That way it shows you are thinking of them as a person instead of thinking of them wearing it/using it soecifically for your wedding day first and then the "possibilities" of after use.
  • OP also instead of pre buying the make up you could get gift cards to their favorite make up store if they have one or just to one in general along to put in the clutch. That way the gesture is there and you can all have a luncheon and go shopping together if that's something you all like to do. Kind of a girl day away from it all.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gifts-43?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:5907bdd2-86a5-422c-b341-edbe6fc04335Post:854d197a-4d59-4ccf-a741-5ecbaae863af">Re: Bridesmaid Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it depends on your party!  I made my bridesmaids shirts that said Bridesmaid and giving it to them is how I asked them to be in my wedding party.  My wedding party was my cousins and my sister, all of whom were 18 or younger and in their first wedding, so it was a big deal to them and they were excited about the shirts. I also disagree that a gift for the wedding day is a gift for you!  If you're expecting your bridesmaids to wear the same jewelry, giving it as a gift is a nice gesture instead of telling them what to buy.  I'm the crafty type, so I made my girls personalized totebags (which they all still use, years later!) and their jewelry. Sounds like you have a great idea of what they'd like!  I'm currently a bridesmaid and I don't expect anything too difficult in way of a gift... I'm happy to be there for her, and anything she gives me as a way of saying "thank you for being with me on my big day" will be gratefully and happily received.
    Posted by Haylie04[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thank you so much!! I'm glad someone agrees that my idea isn't crazy. :)

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards