Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invite Wording (not your average thing)

So my fiance and I are actually getting married in a little over a month, at the court house.

Next Spring we will be doing a big wedding with reception. I don't want the average wedding though. I have a daughter, he has 2 sons and we have a son due this Summer together. So my goal is to have a ceremony revolving around our family joining together after 1 year of us actually being legally married.

This will all be held at a barn, with a rustic theme.

I need help on coming up with some wording for our invitations!

Thank you in advance! Smile

Re: Invite Wording (not your average thing)

• Okay, there isn't a way to word this, because it isn't possible.  You only get one wedding.  That wedding will be at the courthouse.  So to have a second, fake wedding ceremony would just be silly since you will already be married.  

If I were you, I would just have an awesome one-year anniversary party.  You could do a small thing where you rededicate/renew your vows to each other, but I would keep this short and simple and not try to reenact a wedding.  You could even do something cool that incorporates your kids.  However, you will have already been married, and your families will have already been joined, for a year, so having an actual wedding ceremony isn't possible.  Doing things this way would mean no big wedding dress, no BMs or GMs, no showers, no bouquet or garter toss, etc -- basically nothing that is done for brides or weddings since you will already be a wife.  
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invite-wording-not-your-average-thing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:9dc024a4-9bd3-430f-a1e0-04ecd72f28b2Post:10d0f888-a17a-4d69-a2a2-016b54788937">Invite Wording (not your average thing)</a>:
    [QUOTE]So my fiance and I are actually getting married in a little over a month, at the court house. Next Spring we will be doing a big wedding with reception. I don't want the average wedding though. I have a daughter, he has 2 sons and we have a son due this Summer together. So my goal is to have a ceremony revolving around our family joining together after 1 year of us actually being legally married. This will all be held at a barn, with a rustic theme. I need help on coming up with some wording for our invitations! Thank you in advance!
    Posted by sunsetdreams83[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry in advance, but "do-over" weddings don't typically fly here. You will already be married in a few weeks, so that is your wedding. Your situation is not unique.

What you are having is an anniversary party. You shouldn't say vows, walk down an aisle, have a bridal party, or do any family unity cermonies. It will make it look like your whole first year of marriage didn't matter, and that's an insult to any couples who do get married in the courthouse and cherish it.

Have dinner, cake, and dancing. Enjoy your party, but don't make it into a fake wedding.

Your invitation would read:

<strong>Mr and Mrs Alreadymarried
    Request the pleasure of your company
    at the celebration of their first wedding anniversary

Saturday, the third of May
    Two thousand and fourteen
    at five o'clock

XYZ Venue
    City, State</strong>
  • Listen to the previous posters. They are correct. Throw an awesome party, but also, leave your children out of the ceremony. They have no business being in any ceremony related to your marriage.
  • Just make it a first anniversary party for the two of you without a ceremony or the "wedding" aspects like a big white dress, wedding party, cake, bouquet/garter toss, etc.  You'll have had your ceremony when you get married at the courthouse.

And please don't make it about you "blending" as a family.  Keep that private.
  • Wow...there are some judgy people here.  You only get one wedding?  "Do-over" weddings don't fly here?  Your kids don't belong at your wedding!  Are you all also against gays marrying?  Marriage after divorce?  What is insulting is telling someone that their choices don't matter because YOU don't agree with them.  If any of you lived with your significant other before you got married then you didn't deserve a wedding shower.  That's for people that never lived away from home and were never married before.  Don't I sound reasonable and righteous?

A family member of ours got married at the court house.  They had a wedding date set, with plans for a big, beautiful wedding with all of their family present.  Suddenly the father of the groom was hospitalized.  They got married at the courthouse instead because the date meant something to them, but a wedding in the eyes of God and with all of their family present was VERY important and they later followed through with those plans.  Who are you to say that they don't deserve this opportunity?  Maybe a court house wedding is the only viable option at the moment but they want a true ceremony at a later date.  It doesn't mean they don't deserve the flower girl, the bridesmaid, the shower.  Call it a vow renewal or an anniversary party in your mind and let them have their dang wedding the way they want it!  She only asked for invite suggestions, not an attack on her decisions.
  • Thank you SOOOOO much for this response!!!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invite-wording-not-your-average-thing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:9dc024a4-9bd3-430f-a1e0-04ecd72f28b2Post:34c08643-3585-4406-b6e4-99aa47216dca">Re: Invite Wording (not your average thing)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow...there are some judgy people here.  You only get one wedding?  "Do-over" weddings don't fly here?  Your kids don't belong at your wedding!  Are you all also against gays marrying?  Marriage after divorce?  What is insulting is telling someone that their choices don't matter because YOU don't agree with them.  If any of you lived with your significant other before you got married then you didn't deserve a wedding shower.  That's for people that never lived away from home and were never married before.  Don't I sound reasonable and righteous? A family member of ours got married at the court house.  They had a wedding date set, with plans for a big, beautiful wedding with all of their family present.  Suddenly the father of the groom was hospitalized.  They got married at the courthouse instead because the date meant something to them, but a wedding in the eyes of God and with all of their family present was VERY important and they later followed through with those plans.  Who are you to say that they don't deserve this opportunity?  Maybe a court house wedding is the only viable option at the moment but they want a true ceremony at a later date.  It doesn't mean they don't deserve the flower girl, the bridesmaid, the shower.  Call it a vow renewal or an anniversary party in your mind and let them have their dang wedding the way they want it!  She only asked for invite suggestions, not an attack on her decisions.
    Posted by fourarose[/QUOTE]
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invite-wording-not-your-average-thing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:9dc024a4-9bd3-430f-a1e0-04ecd72f28b2Post:34c08643-3585-4406-b6e4-99aa47216dca">Re: Invite Wording (not your average thing)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow...there are some judgy people here.  You only get one wedding?  "Do-over" weddings don't fly here?  Your kids don't belong at your wedding!  Are you all also against gays marrying?  Marriage after divorce?  What is insulting is telling someone that their choices don't matter because YOU don't agree with them.  If any of you lived with your significant other before you got married then you didn't deserve a wedding shower.  That's for people that never lived away from home and were never married before.  Don't I sound reasonable and righteous? A family member of ours got married at the court house.  They had a wedding date set, with plans for a big, beautiful wedding with all of their family present.  Suddenly the father of the groom was hospitalized.  They got married at the courthouse instead because the date meant something to them, but a wedding in the eyes of God and with all of their family present was VERY important and they later followed through with those plans.  Who are you to say that they don't deserve this opportunity?  Maybe a court house wedding is the only viable option at the moment but they want a true ceremony at a later date.  It doesn't mean they don't deserve the flower girl, the bridesmaid, the shower.  <strong>Call it a vow renewal or an anniversary party in your mind and let them have their dang wedding the way they want it!  She only asked for invite suggestions, not an attack on her decisions.</strong>
    Posted by fourarose[/QUOTE]

First of all, lying to your guests and pretending you aren't married is ridiculous. It's NOT a wedding if you're already married. We aren't CALLING it an anniversary party...it IS an anniversary party.

Secondly, I did give invitation suggestions.
  • There is NO lying to ANYONE. EVERYONE is well aware of how we are doing things.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invite-wording-not-your-average-thing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:9dc024a4-9bd3-430f-a1e0-04ecd72f28b2Post:c5e94ad9-d475-46f9-b934-adacc250d7f7">Re: Invite Wording (not your average thing)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Invite Wording (not your average thing) : First of all, lying to your guests and pretending you aren't married is ridiculous. It's NOT a wedding if you're already married. We aren't CALLING it an anniversary party...it IS an anniversary party. Secondly, I did give invitation suggestions.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]
  • OH my goodness, these people are so MEAN! You can do whatever you want!!! TONS of people have a second wedding, so what? Anyone who has something mean to say should just shut the hell up... didn't your mother teach you, "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all"? Seriously. You should just say you are exchanging vows and joining your families... I think that's beautiful, and your family will love it. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invite-wording-not-your-average-thing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:9dc024a4-9bd3-430f-a1e0-04ecd72f28b2Post:d88c8cfa-bd41-481c-9a20-53a9fb5c797c">Re: Invite Wording (not your average thing)</a>:
    [QUOTE]OH my goodness, these people are so MEAN! You can do whatever you want!!! TONS of people have a second wedding, so what? Anyone who has something mean to say should just shut the hell up... didn't your mother teach you, "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all"? Seriously. You should just say you are exchanging vows and joining your families... I think that's beautiful, and your family will love it. :)
    Posted by LauraJeanK[/QUOTE]

::shakes head::

Oh, pumpkin...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards