Getting in Shape
Options

Rant!! Enter at your own risk.

Sorry guys, I just need to vent! One of my friends got involved with one of those mid-level marketing schemes (I won't name names, but it was one of the make-up companies), and I went to her party last night to support her. My mom's theory with those things has always been, go to the party, buy one thing, and never buy anything else from them again - which I figure is a good plan!

Of course, I didn't realize half the party would be trying to sell me the idea of getting involved myself! No, I don't want to sell your crap thanks, I have a real job. It's just tough to see because she's thinking she's going to be able to quit her other jobs and do this full-time, and sure some people do, but most people don't. It just reminds me so much of those get-slim-quick schemes. Yeah, you can do this and think it's going to work and waste your time and money, or you can do it the old fashioned way - WORK. And they say "I own my own business". If more than half of your commission is going to corporate and the people above you on the pyramid, you don't own anything! AGH.

Meanwhile, I could always tell her I know of a great plan to drop 20 pounds in 2 days! Where are those vendors when you need them?Wink
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Rant!! Enter at your own risk.

• Options
    Ugh, I hate that. My biggest side eye on those is the "I own my own business" BS line. The girl I'm friends with on FB who sells those sh!tty wraps always says that. Uh, no, you don't. You're a sales associate for a scheme company. You don't own jackshit. And all her posts lately have been about how she's sooooo close to her $10k bonus. Great, now all your friends know just how much money you made off them. Congrats. 

I avoid those parties like the plague. I can't be nice about that so I just keep my mouth shut and don't go. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I have friends who have worked for Pure Romance and stuff in the past...they by no means considered it their "job" - it was a fun thing they did on the side to entertain at parties and to get discounts on the items for themselves and friends...I think that's the only good mindset you can have going into one of those schemes.
  • Options
    Haha, now THOSE parties I would be interested in going to!! I agree - if it's something you're going to buy anyway, you might as well get the discount and have it as a fun thing on the side. Ugh, the whole scheme just turned me off so much though - her "partner"/supervisor was all "I can't wait to tell my husband he can quit his job!" Uh huh. You let me know when that happens.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Gah! I know how you feel. I tuned into one of those parties for a cosmetic company (may even be the same one? - does it start with an A by any chance and promote Mercedes Benz?), because someone mentioned it to me.

At first it did sound interesting and might've been something I wanted to get into. But I made the mistake of mentioning it to the girl who referred me to the party. She and her friends kind of seemed overly pushy about it, so I managed to escape.
    It also seemed like I needed to have a lot of money first to buy all their products and then start selling it. Waste of money in my opinion
    Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

• Options
    Bahaha, it DOES, as a matter of fact! She seems to think I'M going to be throwing a party for her now. Not sure where she got that idea, but it wasn't from me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards