Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

In need of makeup advice - MOH!!

Hi my name is Stefanie. Im 22 years old & just joined this website because my sister recently got engaged (Dec 22nd, not SO recent). The wedding is in september and i am the MOH. As part of my duties, i am trying to find an awesome and realitvely inexpensive makeup artist to do the makeup on the day of the wedding (and also trials) for me, my sister & my mother. I am from the Westchester County, NY area, and am looking for someone to do the makeup for three of us! If anyone could post anything about makeup artists that i should check out or that you have personal experience with, that would be GREATLY appreciated. (Im new at this and not sure of any makeup artists but would be willing to do some trails and see portfolios and hear about experiences). If you could all reply, that would be great! Thank you so much!!

Re: In need of makeup advice - MOH!!

• Hi Stefanie,

I am a makeup artist that specializes in bridal application in Houston, TX. There is a great amount of information on modelmayhem.com. It is a networking site I use to find work, but can also be utilized to find Photographers, MUAs, and Hair Stylists. You can search by profession and location and most artists will have a portfolio that you can view as well. Search a few MUAs and take the time to speak with them on the phone before booking/requesting a trial. This is one of the last people your sister will interact with before walking down the aisle and she should have someone that understands her vision. Schedule a trial, show them the photos, and let them show her what they think is best (of course with your suggestions as a guideline). After, you can see what you will look like on the big day and let the MUA know what you like/didn't like. Also, bring a camera along and take a photo so you can see how the makeup photographs.

I hope this helps and please feel free to contact me with any other questions!

Andrea N. Simmons
    FaceForward Weddings
    http://www.facebook.com/faceforwardweddings
  • Andrea - Stop spamming the boards with your business.  Reported again.

OP - Try posting this on your local board to the left.  Remember though, as a MOH, you have no duties other than buying the dress and showing up to the wedding.  The bride should be figuring out the vendors.
  • Joan - Hi Joan, I am sorry you feel as if I am "spamming" the community boards. If you would actually read my posts, you would notice that I am only trying to give advice. I simply state what I do so people know that the information is coming from a knowledgeable source. Most of these people do not even live in Texas - where I live, and I am not attempting to solicit my business. Just trying to help.

Stefanie - I am the MOH in my friend's upcoming wedding and I believe that anything you can do to help is wonderful. I am helping my bride pick the venue, dresses, and color scheme for her wedding since her husband was just relocated to another state for work. The responsibility of the MOH doesn't have a set list of to-dos. The MOH is someone who should help the bride with any reasonable duties she may ask of you. Keep on being an awesome MOH and sister!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_in-need-of-makeup-advice-moh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:df4bb75c-f395-4574-8c53-e6ed508a4bc6Post:6dd7bf28-8e89-484a-ad32-0f9457faa302">Re: In need of makeup advice - MOH!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Joan - Hi Joan, I am sorry you feel as if I am "spamming" the community boards. If you would actually read my posts, you would notice that I am only trying to give advice. I simply state what I do so people know that the information is coming from a knowledgeable source. Most of these people do not even live in Texas - where I live, and I am not attempting to solicit my business. Just trying to help. Stefanie - I am the MOH in my friend's upcoming wedding and I believe that anything you can do to help is wonderful. I am helping my bride pick the venue, dresses, and color scheme for her wedding since her husband was just relocated to another state for work. The responsibility of the MOH doesn't have a set list of to-dos. The MOH is someone who should help the bride with any reasonable duties she may ask of you. Keep on being an awesome MOH and sister!
    Posted by FaceForward Weddings[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Andrea - You cannot advertise your business here.  Read the terms of service.  Helping out is fine, but including your business at the bottom of your posts is not allowed.  Yet you still posted more today with your business.  Reporting you to the mods for banning.

</div>
  • I got my makeup done at a makeup counter for a wedding when I was a bridesmaid, as did the bride.  It turned out ok in the end, but I wouldn't recommend it.  We went in the day of the bachelorette party for trials, and since my friend was registered at the store they said that we got free trial runs plus we got to get our makeup done for free on the day of the wedding.

When the wedding day came we were running late, but her makeup artist decided to experiment even though she had done a great job the first time and we really didn't have the time for her to put like 12 colors of eyeshadow on her.  My makeup artist was different than I had the first time (which ended up being good, but still, there is no guarantee that you will ge the same person).  When we got done, and were late we were hit with the news that we each had to purchase 2 items.  This isn't horribly unreasonable, but it is NOT what we were told.  So, in the end both of us looked great, but we were late and had to buy stuff we weren't planning on.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards