Getting in Shape
Options

Getting into it

My fiance and I are getting married in June and I want to tone up a bit.  My problem is I'm a teacher, so I get up at 5:00 every morning and don't get home until between 5:30 and 6:00 in the evening.  I really want to get motivated to workout! I have bought the Bridalicous DVD set and everything.  But I am having a hard time getting motivated to stick with it and workout once I get home; I'm not a morning person, so morning workout is out.  I am such an instant gratification person, waiting for results is hard.  Any suggestions?

Re: Getting into it

• Options
    Hi and welcome!

It took me awhile to get into exercising on a regular basis too. For the instant gratification issue, I focus on the fact that even though I won't see results right away, I will feel so much better right after my work out. I also prefer kicking myself to get up and do something versus kicking myself as I'm laying down to go to bed because I didn't do anything. I'd suggest breaking up your exercise as xcaly suggested if you're having difficulties finding the time to exercise.
  • Options
    Have you tried joining a gym or another activity outside your home? I would never be able to work out at home. When I worked outside my house, coming home sent relaxation signals to my brain. I would no longer be motivated despite thinking I was while on my way home. Also when I get home I might see a billion things that need to be done and get distracted. Working out at a gym was the only thing that worked for me. Couldn't even stop home.
  • Options
    Ditto to everyone else.  I can say from doing the Bridalicious workouts, they are not bad time-wise at all.  The ones you start with are half an hour, and it's over before you know it- they go quickly.  I know it sounds like a lot, but it really isn't if you just pop it in and get to it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• Options
    Get over it and stop making excuses - that is my advice.

As soon as you get home from work, before you sit down or do anything else, put your workout clothes on. After that, tell yourself you'll just do 5 minutes and then you can stop if you don't want to keep going - chances are you will keep going till you finish once you've gotten started.

No one sees results immediately, we love to say that you didn't put weight on or get out of shape overnight, so you won't suddenly lose weight or magically get muscle tone overnight. Patience is a virtue for a reason.
  • Options
    I'm a very, very busy professional with a small child, so I get being busy.  I also get being into instant gratification.  The way I get instant gratification is by focusing on how good I feel after a workout.  That helps me.  As for making time, I just do it.  I started off by scheduling it out and planning in advance when I will make the time (not have the time, because I don't have time for anything unless I make the time) to do it.  It becomes a habit pretty quickly.  

I also wake up at around 5:30, but I often work until closer to 7 (or later).  I also work at least one day most weekends and have a kiddo.  On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I vow to go to the gym after work come hell or high water.  I make arrangements for my child, plan my workday around leaving on time to work out, and usually don't get to bed until a little later those nights. It is worth it because I feel so much better and it is a great stress relief.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards