Wedding Etiquette Forum

Would you be insulted?

About a week ago, my parents recieved an invitation for my first cousin's (my dad's nephew's) wedding. The invitation was adressed only to my father. We all thought it must be a mistake or oversight, so my dad called my aunt (his sister) to verify if my mom (my dad's wife) was also invited.

Turns out, my mom is not invited. To be fair, it is a very small wedding. It's in two weeks and will be at the courthouse with a restaurant dinner to follow. My aunt said that my cousin wants to keep it as small as possible. However, we still feel like my mom should've been invited too. My mom's feelings are a bit hurt considering this is also her nephew (albeit by marriage rather than blood).

Would you be insulted? This is poor etiquette, correct?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Would you be insulted?

• I would be incredibly insulted.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I would be insulted too. You don't split up units at all but she is also his aunt.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • This is a huge etiquette mistake. Married couples (and other couples, too) are considered to be a single social unit, so you can't invite one spouse but not the other to a wedding. It doesn't matter that they were trying to keep the guest list small, that is no excuse for inviting one but not the other. It's insulting and hurtful, and it's definitely wrong.
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • It's rude. It's one thing not to invite you and any of your siblings, but no matter how small an event you are having if you invite someone that has a significant other/married, you must invite their partner.
  • Thank you for all the opinions/insight! I'm definitely going to show this to my mom. She was worried that she was overreacting, but I told her that she wasn't. I knew I could get honest feedback and the guidelines of proper etiquette from this board.

Now my dad just needs to figure out how to respond to this very blatant etiquette breach.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I find it particularly insulting that they want your Dad to come support them in their marriage when they don't show any support for his. :(

If I were your Dad I wouldn't be attending this wedding. 
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • In Response to Re:Would you be insulted?:[QUOTE]I would be insulted, I would not attend, and I would absolutely let the couple know why I am attending. Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

This.
  • In Response to Re:Would you be insulted?:[QUOTE]Thank you for all the opinions/insight! I'm definitely going to show this to my mom. She was worried that she was overreacting, but I told her that she wasn't. I knew I could get honest feedback and the guidelines of proper etiquette from this board. Now my dad just needs to figure out how to respond to this very blatant etiquette breach. Posted by CallaLily25[/QUOTE]

He should respond by declining. That was beyond rude of your cousin.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• How ridiculous. I would not hesitate to call them out on their rudeness. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Ditto PPs. This is beyond rude.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I would be incredibly insulted. My aunt is just as much family as my uncle is. If they want to keep numbers down, this is a bad way to do it.

• I would just decline, tell them why and move on.    If they are so tight on space and/or money to be unable to invite my SO, then they should keep the money they where going to spend on me.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • That's very rude.
  • auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    Wow.

Ok, so it doesn't matter whose SO you aren't inviting. It's always rude.
    But if it's possible to get even more rude/hurtful, this so is. It's one thing to not invite your friend's SO that you've never met (which is bad), but to invite your uncle but not invite your AUNT just because she doesn't share blood with you... holy crap.

I hope this doesn't cause a family rift, but it so should.

ETA:
    I'm an only child, but my husband's brother and his wife are expecting twin boys this spring. And I am soooooo prepared to love these kids just as much as my husband does.
    This whole thing totally rubs me the wrong way. What crap!
  • I would be incredibly insulted. How rude of the B&G. It's fine to want a small wedding, but you can't cut down numbers by not inviting people's spouses! Huge faux paus.

Although it is his nephew, if I were your dad, I would probably not go at all because of this huge snub.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • edited March 2013

He should decline and not hold back why.  This is not only rude it is
    disrespectful and insulting to his wife, to him and to their marriage. 
    Inviting an uncle or aunt without inviting the spouse would also be enough to
    cause bad blood in my family for years to come. 

None of my aunts and uncles were invited to our small wedding because of the extremely racist views of two who married into the family.  DH is from an ethnically diverse
    family and no way in hell were we going to spend our wedding worrying about
    someone overhearing something inexcusable.  If there were a way to politely
    invite only half of a couple, we would have found it.

Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Holy cow.  Not only would I decline if I were your dad I wouldn't send a gift either.
  • This is all great advice! I will definitely be talking to my parents. I'm sure it will cause some rift if he doesn't go, but yellowdaisies' point about not respecting my parent's marriage but expecting my dad to celebrate theirs really resonated with me...I will definitely be pointing this out to my parents. I think my dad is very torn since it's his nephew, but he just can't look past this obvious snub.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What a horrific insult.

image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• If I'm not mistaken, some courthouses can only allow a certain number of people to be present for the actual ceremony, so I can see only inviting parents and a best friend or two, but that's totally unacceptable that your mom wasn't invited to dinner also.  I'd be really hurt if I were her. :(
  • In Response to Re:Would you be insulted?:[QUOTE]If I'm not mistaken, some courthouses can only allow a certain number of people to be present for the actual ceremony, so I can see only inviting parents and a best friend or two, but that's totally unacceptable that your mom wasn't invited to dinner also.nbsp; I'd be really hurt if I were her. : Posted by nda8414[/QUOTE]

If the venue space was limited than the couple should make other cuts of the guest list or found a different space. Every courthouse wedding I've been to has had between 30 and 50 people in attendance.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • >>Now my dad just needs to figure out how to respond to this very blatant etiquette breach.

There's nothing to figure out.
    Your dad cannot go because he is MARRIED and his SPOUSE is not invited.
  • It's very hard to insult me :) And I would probably go. But it's very, very strange.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards